Low Flying Aircraft

Home Forums National Chat Low Flying Aircraft

• This topic has 17 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by ed1.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    redbells

Did anyone else notice the low flying plane last night (Sunday) sometime after 11pm? It wasn’t on the flight path to Dublin, appeared to be heading west towards Navan and was flying a lot lower than planes usually pass over us. Just wondering if the wind blew it off course or what, haven’t seen anything in the news. It was very loud, you would have heard it before you saw it.

yummymummy

i always get low flying planes where i am, have no idea where they are heading hahahaha as long as it doesnt crash into my house i dont care 🙂

Taylor5

Redbells there is a flight path right over Drogheda, the planes would fly just out beyond Donore and then swing left back towards dublin, the noise would have just been the engines struggling with the hight winds.
    You will find its mostly nightime and windy nights/days that they use this flight path, its something to do with planes having to land into the wind and avoiding cross winds etc. (direction of wind depends on the flight path they take)
    They might use this flight path at night time to avoid noise polution over large residental areas closer to the airport ie Malahide or Swords

redbells

Thanks, I see the planes going over Drogheda to Dublin in a southernly direction, and had thought that was the flight path, it makes sense there is another one but this just seemed so odd, with the time of it as it was really late, the direction the plane was headed in which was not Dublin, and how low it was flying, as usually the planes over us going to Dublin are much higher and closer to the start of the descent rather than the end of it.

Anyway good to know thanks for the info.

Taylor5

Im in Five oaks and on Windy nights we get loads of planes going from East to West and the engines sound sooo laboured, the noise would be so loud it would drown out the tv etc…
    He may have been told to fly lower to avoid winds or turbelents, but he wouldnt have been the first plane to be blown off coures…. will have to stop watching seconds from disaster 😳

redbells

Yeah those disaster shows are awful for things like this – it can’t just be something ordinary!!

Taylor5

I scare the shite out of myself, dont think I could ever go on a ferry or cruise ship agian…. seen loads of programmes about ferry disasters.

Ms. Michael

There was also a big article in the paper last week that they are doing work on one of the runways so the flight paths would be changed in different areas for the next couple of weeks. So could be that.

Taylor5

That must be it, as its only the past 6 months or so that I’ve noticed the planes flying over the house

Happymammy

Ooh ooh i did i did!!!! I live in Duleek and right infront of my house is a huge field and it flew straight past our cul de sac towards the N2. It was really loud not very low but lower than the usual and going the wrong direction! The dogs where all going mental in the back gardens! I was looking out the window just having a nosy anyway (as you do at 11pm on a sun night!) 🙄

redbells

Yay! I am so glad someone else saw it too!! It was loud, wasn’t it? 😀

ed1
    Participant

girls maybe that was the plane that got caught in the wind at dublin airport and had to divert to belfast. i think that happened on sunday.

we often have low flying aircrafts going by. i am in cedarfield. sometimes you would think from the noise of them that they were on top on the house. it depends on the direction of the wind as to which way they approach the runway.

Taylor5

Ed1 didnt hear about that plane being dirverted to Belfast…. what happened?

ed1
    Participant

i think whay happened was that it came in to land at dublin and the wind must have caught the wing or something and forced it to take off again and divert to belfast. my dad was telling me about it. something similiar happened in germany last week too where the plane landed but the wing tipped the ground forcing them to go back up and approach the landing again. its a god job i heard of both these cases after i came back from barcelona 😆

Taylor5

I seen a clip of the plane is germany…. did you see the planes trying to land in London on tuesday, they were going from one side to the other, scary stuff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.