Looking for a castle….

Home Forums Movies, TV, Books & Entertainment Looking for a castle….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chewieodie
    Participant

And so…perhaps a silly question….but my visitors want to see an Irish castle…. with tour etc… etc…. now, as a blow-in myself, personally, I’m clueless…

I’m looking for a castle that looks like a castle…. (not a big house)… turrets and all the rest… looking for impressive…. ;)
    Ideally, a tour through… perhaps with the "lived in" look…ie… this is how it used to look when….. typical touristy type stuff….

Malahide… in my opinion… more of a big house really….. albeit very lovely etc…
    Did Ardgillan today…. grounds etc fab…

So…. Slane / Trim ? any other suggestions Meath / Louth area?

Jedt
    Keymaster

Trim castle is nice….worth a visit up there.

Christchurch is very interesting, there are dungeons and all sorts on that tour and it looks like a catle(ish)!

ellokittee

Being a foreign "blow-in" myself, when I first moved here, Trim was my idea of a castle and was very impressed with it. My visitors always love it, too…always fun to throw in the Braveheart connection for added wow factor!

Taylor5

Close to Louth, Trim Castle would be your best bet. Further away the Rock of Cashel is fab, but a long way to go when you have trim on your doorstep…
    Also if you visit Trim or Rock of Cashel on the first Wednesday of the month ie. This Wednesday…. its free. All OPW sites free on the first wednesday of the month, so you could do your visit and save a few euro

A trip up to Dublin might be nice to Pearse park http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/Dublin … EndasPark/
    or Marley park. There is Rathfarnham Castle about 1 mile from Pearse park, but it doesnt look like a castle just a house iykwim.

Trim is really your best bet

scole1

Trim castle is nice to see but what about a trip to dublin go dublin castle also in that grounds is Chester beatty library then you could go to christchurch and go to dublinia see the vikings and top it off with roaring viking splash a must do

chewieodie
    Participant

Thanks all! x

Taylor5

The Dublin Castle trip would be free on Wednesday….

pinata ruth

There is an amazing castle just outside Drogheda. Called Barmeath castle. Its in Grangebellew on the was to togher/annagassan. Its still being lived in by Lord Bellew, his wife and their sons and their families. It is a stunning castle especially with the drive up to it, the cows in the fields leading up to it, the view, and the best bit is the gardens. My cousin had her wedding on the grounds this summer and it has made a lasting impression.

It is opened in the mornings and if there is a few of you going just ring ahead and lady Bellew will organise tea and cake for you all. I believe its just €5 in. But really all you are seeing is the gardens (the walled garden is stunning) as the caslte is their home and not open to the public. They have a room where they serve the teas but I haven’t been in it -yet.

I took the kids during the summer for a picnic and it was def a great day out.

Tried to get a link for the official website for yous but site seems to be down at the moment. If you google it there’s loads of information. ENJOY

Taylor5

Oh that sounds fab! I would love something like that….. Ruth is that the place behind my brothers house?? I remember him telling me something about a big house and a drive just behind his place, he walks in the fields with the dogs, but dont know if its the same place your talking about.

pinata ruth

No its a differet one. But yes there is a HUGE manor house behind your brothers in Gangebellew. I played there as a kid and its covered in Daffodils in spring. I always try to remember to head up every year to see them but haven’t made it yet. I doubt that one is open to the public so whatever you do dont tell them i sent you!!!

Barmeath is further on. When you get to the pub instead of following the road on to Dunleer you take the right that technically is a straight, signposted for togher/annagassan. This up the hill and on the left. If you reach the turn for togher you’ve gone too far.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.