Look after your skin in the winter months with Elave!

Home Forums ASK THE EXPERT Skincare Expert Look after your skin in the winter months with Elave!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Wearing sunscreen in the winter is very important to protect your skin, not just summertime. The sun’s rays can still penetrate through dark stormy clouds and windows. UVA rays cause aging, while UVB rays cause sunburns. The best anti-aging skincare product is sunscreen, so make sure you apply everyday of the year, rain or shine. You should be using approx. 1/4 teaspoon amount to cover the face and neck.

To answer your question, it would be recommended to use a sunscreen of at least SPF15 (or SPF 30 for paler, sensitive skin) you can apply over your moisturiser if you feel the sunscreen doesn’t provide enough moisture. Although some moisturisers claim to contain an SPF it generally wouldn’t be as effective as a separate sunscreen.

As with Make-up that have an SPF in them, this is NOT enough protection for the skin, apply a separate SPF 20min’s before make-up application to allow it to soak in first.

I hope this is of help to you… :)

Just because its winter and your skin will be under layers of clothing for the next few months doesn’t mean that it should be "out of sight out of mind"! Skin and hair should be managed year-round to maintain its health.

Cold winter air can create havoc for your poor skin and hair. Harsh winter winds and freezing conditions whipping your skin daily; then moving indoors to the other extremes – where skin is exposed to central heating and open fires has an impact on all skin types, not just dry skin. Therefore extra care should be taken of your skin in winter.

Here i will be posting daily tips for looking after your own skin and all the families during the coldest season of the year.

Todays tip: • Remember to use elave combined therapy – elave wash, cream and shampoo. Harsh shampoo’s can irritate sensitive skin when rinsed over the body – so although you may use elave wash on the body you may undo the effects if a non-irritant shampoo is not used when sud’s run accross the body.

Todays Tip: Always carry an elave intensive cream in your handbag/baby bag or even on your office desk and apply regularly through the day.

Jedt
    Keymaster

I always have a moisturiser with me and a lip balm, my lips get really dry and sensitive in the cold weather.

I heard that we should wear suncream during the winter months too – is this really something we should do or is a good moisturiserenough? I use the elave intense moisturiser and this feels like a really good layer of protection on my skin so I feel this is enough for me….

thanks for any further tips!

Todays tip…

It’s a good idea to keep an Elave cream in the car as blow heaters can be quite severe on the hands and face especially – get into a habit of applying whilst stopped in traffic!

Jedt
    Keymaster

Thanks for the suncream tips – better re-stock that into the bathroom for the winter months!!

beams

About sunscreen …..i just use a moisturiser with an spf in it….can you buy sunscreen alone (without the moisturiser) thats not for the beach ie. sunscreen thats not sticky , heavy and white 😀 😀

Jedt
    Keymaster

I use a Neways sunscreen, its an spf 30 and has none of the ‘nasty chemicals’ in it, as my kids all have sensitive skin. You have to order this one online though…..maybe there are some good ones in a chemist, Boots are very helpful, you could ask in there.

At the moment Elave is not making a suncream but maybe in the future they will bring one out, I would definitely buy that!

Todays tip: • were gloves, but apply a little amount of cream before putting on your gloves – this way the warmth will help absorb the cream into the hands

• for bathing and showering use a gentle wash such as elave wash or shower to prevent further drying of the skin. Afterwards apply elave body lotion or for extra moisture use the intensive cream

Taylor5

need good lip balm as they are like crocodile skin, what would you recommend from cold winds to heating etc?

beams

the vaseline rose is lovely Taylor – moisturising and tinted. If your lips need extra care try blisstex intensive – its in a tube – works great …..and a tip first brush your lips gently with your toothbrush if your lips are in bad condition to get rid of dead skin before you start the intensive moisturising 😀 😀

Jedt
    Keymaster

I use Burts bees lip balm….its very thick and really great in cold weather. there was a thread on here a while back that said vaseline makes hair grow on your face so I’ve been wary of that since, don’t need to encourage any moustaches!! 😆

I am also using the elave baby oil on my tummy, legs and arms after showering and it leaves my skin gorgeously soft – hoping it might do something for my stretchmarks too 😆 😆

Todays tip • although a hot bath in winter may be tempting, its actually bad for your skin, it removes natural oils from the skin. Having your bath a bit warmer than lukewarm will prevent your skin from getting dryer!

beams

I use Burts bees lip balm….its very thick and really great in cold weather. there was a thread on here a while back that said vaseline makes hair grow on your face so I’ve been wary of that since, don’t need to encourage any moustaches!! 😆

Sabbi, dont know whether you remember Marie Helvin, she was one of the original super models think shes in her 50’s now, from Hawaii, – a real true stunner – but she used vaseline every night all over her face ……i read her biography years ago !!!! 😀 😀 Not recommending doing that but it defo works on the lips …..and i dont have hairy lips 😆 😆 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.