Le cheile v’s Congress Ave

Home Forums Louth Chat Le cheile v’s Congress Ave

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Taylor5

My ds1 will be starting school in 2010. Im thorn between the two schools and both have pro’s and con’s

Le Cheile
    Pro’s:
    Very good school and love the ethos
    Would suit ds1

Con’s
    Ds wont get a automatic place in Secondary school
    Will have to drive
    Has lovely new building

Congress ave
    Pro’s
    I could walk to the school
    When ds is older he could walk alone
    Will get a place in St Marys secondary school
    When ds1 is going to secondary its beside congress ave new school site, this is where ds2 will be attending, so dont have to travel in two different directions

Cons
    Very old and tricky to drive and get parking on Congress Ave.
    Left waiting for new school
    Will have to get the boys christened just to attend
    Havent heard as good things about the school…. well not a much as le cheile

All advice and feedback on both schools very welcome

yummymummy

taylor although i dont have any experience with either school ( although x’s gf son goes there…congress that is) but to my knowledge your kids DO NOT have to be baptised to go there…her son has been there for years and only got baptised this year b4 he made his communion (as they dont allow you to make communion without being baptised) but ive never heard of a child not being allowed into the school because of religion.

in this multi national society now they really cant have that ethos.
    J primary school is catholic but there was kids in his class who obviously werent baptised as they didnt make the 1st commuinon.

no child has an automatic place in secondaty school in this town taylor, you have to register them like anyone else!! doesnt go by catchement (which i have just learned) its about siblings and first come first served, so thats not really a pro.

also you mention parking at congress but also say you can walk to it hahaha which is it lady 🙂

just go with what suits yourself and what you feel is best for your kids.

Taylor5

I did say "I COULD walk" 😆 😆 😆 Nice to have the option depending on the mood and the weather etc…

I know its not a rule that kids have to be christened, but christened kids from the parish get places first, the girls told me that the demand is so high for the school (so many kids now living in the parish) that to be sure of a space he would have a better chance if baptised

trixiebell
    Participant

yummy mummy, how does it work for secondary school, do you register them now or the year beofre they leave primary school, i havent a clue, thanks!

yummymummy

trixie i have no idea, i know they usually have an open night for 5th and 6th class students/parents but the way the town is now and the massive demand for secondary school places id say thats gone out the window. Im gonna ring st joesphs on newfoundwell road next week to confirm wha ti have to do to get j in there.

lol taylor….could walk 🙂 yeah suppose your right, but then with even having them baptised guarantee them a place in the year you want..is there some sort of list?

ed1
    Participant

I know its not a rule that kids have to be christened, but christened kids from the parish get places first, the girls told me that the demand is so high for the school (so many kids now living in the parish) that to be sure of a space he would have a better chance if baptised

Taylor I dont think this is true…..as far as I can remember I was never asked for a batismal certificate until Robbie had his first communion. I have never been asked for one yet for Jason (going into 1st class). In Robbies class there were a good few who were not making communion as they were not christened but they have been in the school since the 1st day.

libby1
    Participant

yummy mummy, how does it work for secondary school, do you register them now or the year beofre they leave primary school, i havent a clue, thanks!

Sacred Heart need to put name done from time child is born

St. Marys Secondary – the Jan of the last year in primary school they take names then , but st. Marys boys is a feeder school

Pro’s & Con’s are all school – regardless of where we sent our children.

All schools have good and bad records…..

Its depends on the child and what they want to learn – also secondary depends where their friends are going

At the time of my children starting school i looked at
    1. Friends
    2. Where babyminder would collect from ?

Also my kids are looking to be independent to walk to and from school with their friends……

Its hard to make the right decision…..

Taylor5

Taylor I dont think this is true…..as far as I can remember I was never asked for a batismal certificate until Robbie had his first communion. I have never been asked for one yet for Jason (going into 1st class). In Robbies class there were a good few who were not making communion as they were not christened but they have been in the school since the 1st day.

No its all changed, the demand for the school is so high, in March they will go through the list. They only take kids living in the parish now and the kid baptised will get a place before a child who isnt… if there are two kids and one place the child baptised in the parish will get the place over a child whos not, dont want him not being baptisted run the risk of him losing his space…
    Yummy as libby said congress ave is a feeder school for st marys boys and Fatima is the same for the girls school….. I know a mother who cant get her daughter in from Whitecross she is now sending her 2nd child to fatima to make sure she gets a place in the girls secondary school

yummymummy

well the secondary school j will be going to is st joesphs on termonfeckin road as its only round the corner from me, take him a 2min walk to get to it and my brothers went there, its a good school. plus majority of his mates id say will be going there as they all live in hte locality, still going to ring up the school this week and find out what the story is with it.

if fatima is a feeder school, eh which school does it feed into???? as sacred heart you have to have name down when born and the only other one that side is the Ollies!!!

rossylisa

DD will go from St Brigids to Ballmakenny to Greenhills. i think i put her name down in 5th class for greenhills.

Waffy1

Holy moley! i have all this ahead of me! My babs isn’t a year old yet but i’ve enrolled him in all primary schools i can think of since he’s been one week old. Please don’t tell me i need to be thinking of scondary schools allready!! Will wait and see what schools we get offered and choose then.

newmomma

Oh no Waffy1, I haven’t enrolled my 12 month old in a creche for January, never mind a primary school 😯 Think home schooling is an option….. 😳

Taylor5

I was going to put ds’s names down in the Grammar School open day earlier this year, but Scole told me they werent taking names yet for 2016… so maybe all schools are different and not as much as a panic as I thought

Taylor5

Just rang the Grammar school after I got a few pm’s from other parents who were at the open day and put their kids names down… one for 2020 😯
    So never believe what people tell you always ring for yourself, dont know why someone would say you cant put your childs name down when you can? 🙄 👿

You dont have to wait for the open day to put childrens names down in the Grammar school, just rang the office and the girl is sending two forms out for the boys……..

munchin
    Participant

god i haven’t even thought about secondary school – we don’t live in drogheda itself but there is no secondary school were we live and as i’m not from drogheda i know less than nothing about the secondary schools – dd1 is due to start primary in 2010, i have her down for 2 primary schools – haven’t put dd2 down yet (she is only 13weeks old lol)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.