Laytown playground

Home Forums Louth Chat Laytown playground

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    MOWA

we had a great day in laytown on saturday. new playground is great, and a few hrs on the beach afterwards, kept 3 kids very happy and tired…brillant… Playground closing from 5th may to 22nd may, but well worth a visit when it re-opens…definately will be going back…

scole1

wonder why closing….don’t tell me needs work already?

MOWA

playground closing for "certain maintenance" and "teething problems which have arisen need to addressed" as reported in local paper DI… Well worth a visit when it reopens…all we need is the sun to shine 🙂

kcireland

Hopefully they’re installing some port-a-loos! Great facility!

Moonflower

thats shame they are closing it already but can see why..the slide they put in was great idea but they forgot to add the grass so a muddy bank woudl of been great fun for the littel ones but no so for mummy’s and teh turf they put just would not stay put….but still very good playground…my Ds loves it!!

Taylor5

I think the paving slabs that are used as steps to the slide are a terrible idea, there were sharp corners sticking out, if I child fell it would take a childs eyeout…… I didnt like this playground, the only day we went there was a large group of teenagers (12 to 16) running a muck, they were playing tag and pushing little toddlers out of the way, then they started to throw the swings over the bar at the top…. so the swings were higher in the air iykwim.

A few of the dads let a roar and they calmed down for a few minutes, I had baby in my arms and one bumped me from behind while playing tag, dh seen what happened and stepped into his path and gave him the evils.

Wouldnt be going back in a hurry

Moonflower

Hi taylor,

oh thats terrible…hope it doesnt get ruined by those young ones,i knwo they have to play somewhere as well but its a shame they are so rowdy…..

i have found it fine when we have been down there but suppose it depends on time of day…they changed those concrete slabs to the soft slabs but the grass still didnt stick!

Jedt
    Keymaster

The playground is wonderful but the baby/toddler section has a very dangerous part where the small children need to leap over steel bars to climb across.

It is very dangerous as a child could easily slip in between these bars and hurt themselves. I was nervous as my 21 month old ran across them.

I would not be surpsrised if they are fixing this part. I hope they are, it will be safer for my little one and better for my heart too!!

Hope it re-opens soon, my kids love it and it is so needed out here!

sadmum

I thought that myself about the steel bars big with the gaps in between, not at all safe for the toddlers. Good playground but I agree it is taken over by teenagers and very cheeky ones at that (mind you, are there any other kind???). 😛

LANA
    Participant

hi i was last last week and my 2 year slip in between them bars your talking about ,lucky he was ok .but he wanted to go across them again it a worry .i also notice the gate behind them open alot and the road there s very dangerous .a child would be out them before you know it .other than that the kids love it .i hear that there building 1 in bettystown too .

delly

3 weeks closure in the Summer months is bad, but if they have to, then so be it. Part of the soft surface came up which will have to be replaced as well as the grass around the slide. TBH even if they get the grass to grow here, it will goto nothing in no time with kids sliding down.

In relation to the gaps in the toddler section, yes they are kinda dangerous, but I’ll hold my 23 month old daughters hand the whole time, so if she does slip I can pull her weight up. Of course this method won’t work if your the type of parent who watches there kid play from the comfort of your car :roll:.

Further on from what was said about the older kids, you’ll unfortunately always have that, but its important to just keep yourself between them your child. If i’m up on the big boat i’ll make sure that she’s with me and won’t run into anybody.

LANA
    Participant

iv 2 small kids .so its hard to hold 2 hands when 1 going 1 way & the other going the other way .and its for young kids so the bars should be close together for there safety .

Moonflower

yes watch that gate..i have seen a couple of escapee’s , very dangerous…i know wat you mean if you have moer than one child it is so hard to watch them both at same time……i only have one & i dont take my eyes off him or leave his side for a moment but you just cant do that with two..so yes safety needs to be the most important thing…….

Taylor5

They should have barriers at the gate…. but I know a mother who thinks if she tells her child not to go out the gate that he wont, as I said kids will be kids

My ds1 is 3.5 and is good at climbing on the playground stuff and he made lightwork of the bars, but if I thought back to what he was like at 2 or 2.5 he wouldnt have been able to do this, gaps are very big

causewayer

Have 22 month old twins – so toddler play area useless unless there are two adults. Not only the gaps in bridge, but open areas where they could fall off. When you think of all the time it took to get this playground developed, you would think that they would have choosen a more suitable design for this section. From a H&S point of view, it is unbelieveable that one of the gates (the one beside the toddler area) is 3m from the edge of a main road – with no barriers by the road or childproof latch on gate.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.