Language Learning for Children

Home Forums National Chat Language Learning for Children

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello all,

May I introduce myself. My name is Clive and I am currently participating in the Enterprise Ireland entrepreneur programme, New Frontiers. As part of the programme I need to conduct primary research for my business. My product will be a multi-platform online language learning community for children between 4 – 12 years.

I need to find parents with children of primary school age prepared to participate in a short online survey. Is it possible you can give a budding entrepreneur a small helping hand while also having an input in the development of an exciting new education product? And hopefully create some jobs to boot!

Consider this: despite the worst recession in the State’s history, thousands of bilingual jobs are available now but cannot be filled because just 5% of people in Ireland are bilingual by the time they reach college age. In November 2011 an EU directive, signed by all EU States, says that primary school children should be proficient in 3 languages.

Anyway, for parents/guardians interested please use this link to take the survey.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/emb … SmNUWkE6MQ

It will take less than 5 minutes to complete. All information is in the strictest confidence and will not be passed on to third parties.

Warmest regards,

Clive.

Fabienne

Regarding the european directive about languages, last year they cut the fundings for the few primary schools who were lucky to teach languages.
    I’m one of so many language primary school teachers who lost their jobs, and in the other hand they expect people to get languages skills.
    If not free and taught correctly how will the majority get those skills.
    Only the few fortunate enough either to have the money or the advantage to have multinationality parents will get those skills.

Rant over.
    Best of luck with your venture, it’s a great idea as language skills are badly needed.

Fabienne

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you, Fabienne, and the best of luck with your career. I modified the form so you can go directly to the survey.

Regards,

Clive.

pookie2

Am German teacher – or WAS. Hasn’t been offered in my secondary school for over ten years as ‘no demand’ – but how can there be a demand when the message the schol sends out is that kids might be able to study this at junior level but no guarantees about senior cycle? Plenty of work for me as English / Special Needsa / SPHE etc teacher, but resent fact that my skills are rusting when demand for languages in this country….

Have two in the age group – will do asap

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.