Keep fit during pregnancy!

Home Forums ASK THE EXPERT mams.ie Weight Loss Support Group Keep fit during pregnancy!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

Right Laura, are you ready for a challenge……

13.5 weeks pregnant, got all clear at hospital today, baby looks good, BP fine, everything good so because I am not wanting to turn into anything resembling a baby elephant, want to get back into some sort of proper exercise regime.

Have been out walking 2-3 times a week, so feeling ok and want to stay on top of things and keep active throughout my pregnancy.

Need tips, advice and recommendations for classes I take part in and exercises I can do at home etc.

Thanks so much :D

laura

well all depends on what you did exercise wise for the past 12 months.

the general rule with exercise during pregnancy is that you want to maintain your fitness and not improve it… from day one of pregnancy the hormone relaxin affects our joints making them very relax in order to prepare them for birth…as a result we are more prone to twist an ankle and sprain joints

if your body is used to doing aerobics and you have been doing it for the past 6-12 months then your joints would be able to cope with it…however if you havent then now is not the time to start.

I did high impact aerobics and step til 3 hours before giving birth but that is because my body has been doing that for the past 15 years… so i knew i could manage.

A lot of women only decide to get fit once they find out they are pregnant and unfortunately there is very little that can be done (apart from walking, swimming and pregnancy classes)…so if you are planning a family, get your fitness levels as high as possible for the previous 6-12 months.

of the classes i teach i recommend fitness pilates and pump and lift as there is no impact and are great to maintain muscle tone.

hope this helps 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.