Just pregnant – Decision time Public or Private!

Home Forums ASK THE EXPERT Pregnancy & Birth Just pregnant – Decision time Public or Private!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    sonwalking

Hi Girls, i just found out that im pregnant and i havent a clue what route to go down? i was looking for some advice as i cant ask family or friends because im still so early on and i dont what to tell anyone just yet. Apart from the cost of going private whats the difference??

Thanks for your help in advance :lol:

TracyDonegan

If you’re eligible for the Midwife Led Unit that would be my first stop ! Private care that’s the same cost as public care – F R E E – 😀

A few of the mum here have used the scheme and everyone raves about it.

You can stop in and see the unit any time you like – I think if more mums had a look at the MLU unit and the facilities and then saw the regular consultant led labour ward you’d see that there’s no contest. Not all women are accepted if you can get on it you’ll love it.

Tracy

trixiebell
    Participant

tracy, how do i know if im eligible to use the MLU? Have a feeling im not tho…

Taylor5

Trixie if you’ve had normal pregnancies and births you shouldnt have a problem getting into the mlu, I couldnt as I had pre eclampisa and a previous sectionj
    Good luck

sonwalking

Hi Tracey, many thanks for your email – i had a miscarriage 11 years ago and we have been trying for a baby for 4 years now so would i be eligible??

Thanks a mill for your advise. 😆

If I have another baby, I will be going public.

I have been both a public and private patient in the past and honestly don’t see the benefit of going private. I do not qualify for the MLU but still think the public care is the way to go as you have more time with midwives and should you really need a doctor, you still get one.

TracyDonegan

It is such a personal choice. Midwife Led Care is recommended for women that are having normal pregnancies (ie most women) I would give the MLU a call and see what they say.

Going private isn’t cheap and many women choose it for ‘peace of mind’…but the thing is study after study has shown that you are more likely to have a normal birth with a midwife than a doctor..after all – midwives are the experts in normal birth.

If there’s a problem your midwife refers you to a doctor. Doctors are the experts in complicated pregnancies and births that’s why you don’t see them at most births.

HTH

Tracy

scole1

call the mlu but usually on your first hospital visit a midwife will ask if interested if history ok, ie previous births whether you had pre-eclampsa, high blood pressure, diabetes whatever and weight ok they will tell you….
    i did mlu on my first and was fab, this time round though i’m not eligible as overweight from first bab and had bad tear….but would highly reccomend it it#s fab….

best of luck….when you due???

Yvonne

Congratulations!!
    Have heard nothing but great reports about the MLU, would definitely look into that, unfortunately I wasn’t eligible and I went private, and I couldn’t fault the care and attention that I got withit and if I have another I would go private again. At the end of the day, its personal choice – make a few calls and talk to others about their experiences.
    Best of luck with everything!

Jedt
    Keymaster

I went private at OLOL and it was honestly a waste of money. I got good care but still had to wait on average 2 hours to see my private consultant at appointments. I had no complifcations so my consultant was not at my birth. Because the private and semi-private rooms were full, I was placed in a public ward.

The ward was fine, I had lots of space and felt very comfortable there. I was moved into a semi-private room the next day but it was very cramped and I wish I had been left in the public room, I had more room there.

I honestly wish I had gone public, it was €3,000 wasted. I did not get my consultant at the birth or a private room but I still got the hefty bill afterwards.

I just don’t think its worth the money and there have been reports that public care is actually safer because private patients are not always given all the information that public patients get.

For example, World Health Organisation best practice states that a woman should not be induced until 14 days after her due date but I know that some private consultants offer much earlier inductions to their patients on certain occasions. My friend was offered an induction 2 days BEFORE her due date because her consultant was going on holidays! He never mentioned the risks associated with it and he never talked to her about the 14 day guideline. This is not the first time I’ve heard this from private patients and I know about it first hand – having been one myself!

Best of luck whatever you decide to do, it is of course a personal decision but as a mother of three, I personally would never go priavte or semi private again. I would spend the money on a nice holiday and things for the baby.

Enjoy your pregnancy!

Siobhan

GMD

Well Said Sabbi, you have basically written my own experience too. It is a personal choice of course but it does mean a better or worse service

Hi we r from england..I’m finding t way u do things here r very different..wat happens in pregnacy here..bac home we get 2 scans blood test and visits 2 t midwife..I’ve just registered at t docs but they didn’t seem helpful..I’m 14 weeks now..reading bout private and public has helped thanks girls..

Hi we r from england..I’m finding t way u do things here r very different..wat happens in pregnacy here..bac home we get 2 scans blood test and visits 2 t midwife..I’ve just registered at t docs but they didn’t seem helpful..I’m 14 weeks now..reading bout private and public has helped thanks girls..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.