Itchy skin during pregnancy

Home Forums Pregnancy, Mums2Be, Birth, New Parents Itchy skin during pregnancy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Itchy skin during pregnancy

Itchy skin during pregnancy can be quite common due to skin being stretched around your growing tummy and breasts. It is important to keep your body hydrated inside and out by drinking plenty of water. Using cream or oil on a daily basis will ease discomfort and might help your skin’s elasticity thus preventing stretch marks.
    There are medical conditions that could cause itchy skin and one of them is Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy (PUPPP).

The cause of PUPPP is unknown. It is important to stress that even though PUPPP is extremely annoying, it does not pose a threat to the mother or unborn baby.

Symptoms
    PUPPP frequently begins on the abdomen and may spread to the legs, feet, arms, chest, and neck. The rash looks like bumpy, itchy papules that turn to red, scalded skin with welts over time. They begin as though they are stretch marks, then as time passes, the rash begins to become bumpy and red and starts to spread. Oddly there is never a rash on the belly button, only around it on the abdomen.

Treatment
    In mild cases a doctor will advise on ointments and creams that can be used to ease itch and discomfort. If the condition is more severe, you might have to use steroid creams/ointments or get a prescription for oral steroids and/or antihistamine.

Natural remedies and alternative therapies*
    Some of the PUPPP sufferers found oatmeal baths, aloe vera gel, Grandpa’s Pine Tar Soap and A&D ointment helpful with itch relieve.t is always good to give alternative therapies a go when suffering from any pregnancy related discomfort.

Reflexology and acupuncture are well known for helping the body cope with the hormonal changes of pregnancy and keep all the systems of the body working in harmony. A lot of rashes in general are linked to the liver and it’s function and it might be one of the areas your therapist would concentrate onduring treatment.

*Always ask your healthcare provider for advice

To book a reflexology or an acupuncture session please call our U Mamma team on 01 2014900, email info@umamma.ie or visit U Mamma.ie

Customer Feedback "Hi there, I would like to convey my long overdue thanks to Deirdre for the acupuncture I received in the weeks leading up to the birth of my little boy. He was breech, and from 34 weeks I attended Deirdre for acupuncture which I found hugely relaxing and effective! My baby turned and I also credit her for helping my labour to be very straightforward and quick! (Harry was born 40 mins after i arrived to the hospital!) She clearly helped to prepare my body for the delivery. I would thoroughly recommend acupuncture with Deirdre to every pregnant woman".

Susan, Greystones

Thank you Susan! Your customer feedback is very important to us. If you have any suggestions, feedback or testimonials we would love to hear them. Simply email info@umamma.ie

P.S: testimonials can be anonymous if you wish.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Pink Lining Collection SALE!!

Prices reduced on ALL Pink Lining Changing Bags & Accessories.
    [attachment=1]Pink Lining Changing Bag.jpg[/attachment]
    Click the above link to view our Pink Lining collection.

Join us Facebook & Twitter

Competition Time!!! Who would like to win a Breastvest?
    [attachment=0]Breastvest.jpg[/attachment]
    Simply log into our Facebook page and like & share this competition to be in for a chance to win.
    Good luck!!!

Discount Thursdays!!! A whooping 20% off ALL holistic therapies every Thursday in May! Click to view our therapy listings.

Anonymous
    Inactive

A handier way to view: umamma May Newsletter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.