Is your instructor qualified?

Home Forums Exercise, Nutrition, Health Issues & illness Is your instructor qualified?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok i need to let some steam off!

I have been in the fitness industry for over 17 years, 14 of them in Ireland and i have come to the conclusion that this country has to be the most layback and relaxed in the world :) (which sometimes is not a bad thing)
    However when it comes to fitness 99% of people here believe anything!

did you know that unless your instructor has a piece of paper to say they are qualified in (let’s say) TRX, or Kettlbells or Zumba they are actually not qualified to teach and therefore not insured?? Many instructors do a one off basic course and all of a sudden they are experts in the field!

did you know that if your instructor teaches a licensed programme such as the famous ZUMBA, they will be listed in the zumba website (have a search )
    http://www.zumba.com/en-US/instructors/search/

As a fitness professional and a tax payer it really pisses me off how many unregistered and unqualified instructors are putting people’s health at risk.. so please DONT BE AFRAID TO ASK, TO PHYSICALLYSEE THEIR QUALIFICATIONS, THEIR PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE.

Ok i feel better now!

Jedt
    Keymaster

Thats why l go to labfitness, the amount of qualifucations on the wall is never ending! The zumba classes this week were amazing – they were fun but also structured for naximum effect. Im signing up for the full course, worksout at brilliant value and l know im getting a proper workout from instructors wjo know what they are doing – and who are all bonkers and have us giggling and swaeting at same time!!!

twink
    Participant

I used to work in the industry myself and since I’ve left, I have been to quite a few classes where I have felt that the instructor was not qualified and hadn’t even the basic class method, ie, warm-up, high intensity, cool-down…. I certainly won’t be teaching again but I always did enjoy the classes I gave- You are correct Laura- but the term you use is "Professional" and you just have to stick by this code of professionalism you use in your business- these non-professionals will come and go but you will still be here because of your standards. good to let of steam sometimes 🙂

Taylor5

Laura im laughing here at your post, i went to a free Zumba class in a local hotel this week and OMG the instructor was pure shite!! She had us in a circle and said "Everyone start on your left foot, follow me" she starts on her RIGHT while shouting "left" at us!! So we started on our left, then she stops and says "what is with you all, your going on the wrong foot" We said your telling us to go on our left foot, yes she says and steps out with the right foot!! 🙄 We all said thats your right foot then she says "okay use your OTHER left foot!!" 😆 😆 😆
    We laughed saying the only thing you would be lighter after the 4 weeks would be your money, the sad thing was the ladies thought she was great and they signed up in their droves to this crap class

Yvonne

It is frustrating if someone isn’t qualified! You are paying good money and you expect for the instructor to have the correct training to teach it.

I done a course earlier in the year where we had to go to classes during it, and I am pretty sure he wasn’t qualified.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Well girls, I have just done a 6 week bootcamp, followed by a few weeks of classes in Labfitness studios and I have no doubt about how professional they are. There were a few mornings where I was tired (up with sick kids) or had my period and I told the instructors before the class and they kept and eye on me and tailored a few exercises for me if i was struggling in parts. I felt really well looked after – but also, got great workouts done. I have lost 7 inches off my waist since I started at the end of June so for me, its been well worth it

The new term starts today and I am signing up for the 8 weeks; 2 classes a week and it works out just 6 euro and 25 cents a class. I don’t think you can beat that really, its great value and you know you are getting top notch teachers – and its a laugh too!

laura

Laura im laughing here at your post, i went to a free Zumba class in a local hotel this week and OMG the instructor was pure shite!! She had us in a circle and said "Everyone start on your left foot, follow me" she starts on her RIGHT while shouting "left" at us!! So we started on our left, then she stops and says "what is with you all, your going on the wrong foot" We said your telling us to go on our left foot, yes she says and steps out with the right foot!! 🙄 We all said thats your right foot then she says "okay use your OTHER left foot!!" 😆 😆 😆
    We laughed saying the only thing you would be lighter after the 4 weeks would be your money, the sad thing was the ladies thought she was great and they signed up in their droves to this crap class

Exactly Taylor!!! Look I love teaching Zumba simply because it is a great laugh (although not the best calorie burning class!)..and as much as i love teaching the class i totally disagree with Zumba’s rules: anyone (and i mean anyone) can walk in, do a 6 hour course (no examination) and there you are you are qualified!!

But if this wasnt bad enough there are several local instructors who are not paying the license. As an instructor if you call your class Zumba, you advertise, you must pay the monthly license (that’s how zumba makes their money)…so here’s me, all legal and above board doing it and half of the town isnt!! So im telling everyone to go to the zumba website and search for their instructor…if its not there reach for your own conclusions!

cowboys!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.