Is a 4 year old too young for a DSI xl

Home Forums Newborns, Babies, Toddlers, Kids, Teens! Is a 4 year old too young for a DSI xl

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    nmumbi

Hi there

My 4 year old is looking for a DSI XL for Christmas.

He’s an active boy who loves puzzles, books, painting/colouring, getting mucky, playing with trucks..basically like any other 4 year old boy :D

Would you recommend getting one or is 4 too young?????????

Jedt
    Keymaster

If he likes puzzles etc he might enjoy it. our son got his first one when he was 5 and he loved it and his sister who was 3 at the time, used to play with it sometimes too.

I think it depends on the child but if he likes the puzzles and is active, it might be great for him!

chewieodie
    Participant

I’ve got a 5 year old, and a 3 year old…. and I’ve bought him a
    Leapster Explorer with Toy Story and her the Leapster 2 with the Belle & Ariel game….

What I liked about them was that I can track their progress online, so I can see how they get on etc…. and what areas they need help with etc…

I’ve got a DS myself, but thought my overenthusiastic 5 yr old would have been a bit rough with it…. so I went for something that was more his age related…. but its just a personal choice…. I’m sure your lo will be delighted!

Taylor5

My ds is 5 and has used mine for the past few years…. my ds2 is 2 and he plays it too, he can pick his games and knows he has to be gentle with it

I would say yes but it depends on the child

scole1

my sons is getting one for christmas, second hand one was my brothers it’s perfect, and i bought a game card with 100 games on it, and choose the games with educational ones on it too….he knows how to look after it…it really depends on the child…i’m not a fan of constantly using it he gets it now and then when i say he can…we have it for long journeys and every so often great bargining tool for behaviour too….

i’d rather him to read, colour etc and of course i do leave tv on (but ds is great for them for hand eye co-ordination, logical thinking and educational values depending on games…not into all the pow wow games iykwim, but he has limited mario games etc all vetted by me before plays) so up to you the choice is yours good luck with decision…

Taylor5

I agree not all the time, going in the car, hospital visits and for rewards etc… Some of the Dora games and peppa games are brilliant, i even play them 😳 😆 😆 😆
    The game cards are just brilliant

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mine had them at various ages. Found the girls were okay with them and handed them back when I told them ‘time up’. But the 2 boys…wow….different story. The other day the two of them were having a complete meltdown, tantrum and tears, sobbing their hearts out and 2yr old hands over eyes and loudest sobs…all over Nintendo’s. The 7 yr old has his own since last year but the 2yr old takes his older sisters. Now the 2yr old can play games no problem as they put the games on 2 player settings and they play the same game from different consoles. But the 2yr old in particular finds it very addictive and I notice he gets really angry and agressive when its taken off him. Its like he is sucked into the games……he is very young and wouldn’t get near one only his sisters/brother use them and he copies them. I have to completly police the use of them and have resorted to locking them in my car to keep them out of the house. In saying that they are great fun, great learning but lay down the ground rules about usage from day one…..

mammycool
    Participant

Hi there,

I have a 3 1/2yr and I definately would not give him one. I sure he would be well capable but he would reck it. He is very curious on how everything works – and this involves pulling it apart. He recently pulled one of the keyboard keys out of my laptop – huge hassle getting it fixed.

chewieodie
    Participant

Mammycool…. mine is the same….. and he is 5…. everything is taken apart and "re-assembled"…. 🙄

Hence my decision to go "kiddie-proof"….. 😆

Mine "invents" just about everything…. anything that can be built… is built with incredible imagination…. and besides, having the two… with them being so close, they would have killed each other if one had got, and the other not!

Taylor5

Mammycool…. mine is the same….. and he is 5…. everything is taken apart and "re-assembled"…. 🙄

Hence my decision to go "kiddie-proof"….. 😆

Mine "invents" just about everything…. anything that can be built… is built with incredible imagination…. and besides, having the two… with them being so close, they would have killed each other if one had got, and the other not!

I think its a boy thing…… oh lets she how this works, butstrange he hasnt taken the ds apart!!!! 😆 😆 😆

rossylisa

Id get him a second hand one, sure he wont know the diffrence, My Ds is 15 months and DD gives him her Ds and she has the DSi and he sits there with her playing together, Now he does get frustrated when he cant do it him self so he throws it to the ground, so thats why id get a second hand one You might pick one up cheap enough cos three of them out now the Ds the dsi and now the dsixl

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.