Irish Premier: The Business of Being Born (Ricky Lake film)

Home Forums Louth Chat Irish Premier: The Business of Being Born (Ricky Lake film)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    AIMSIreland

Hi Ladies,

AIMS Ireland will be hosting a private screening of Ricki Lake’s film, The Business of Being Born.

Please see the following for more information and dates/cost:

Irish Premiere of Ricky Lake’s acclaimed documentary – ‘The Business of Being Born’ January 16 and 17 2008.

This controversial documentary although focused on US maternity care is VERY relevant to Irish mothers and their experiences of childbirth in Ireland .
    Birth: it’s a miracle. A rite of passage. A natural part of life. But more than anything, birth is a business. Compelled to find answers after a disappointing birth experience with her first child, actress Ricki Lake recruits filmmaker Abby Epstein to examine and question the way American women have babies. The film interlaces intimate birth stories with surprising historical, political and scientific insights and shocking statistics about the current maternity care system. When director Epstein discovers she is pregnant during the making of the film, the journey becomes even more personal. Should most births be viewed as a natural life process, or should every delivery be treated as a potentially catastrophic medical emergency?

DIRECTOR’S STATEMENT

When my friend Ricki Lake approached me about making this film, I admitted to her that I was afraid to even witness a woman giving birth, let alone film one. I had never pronounced the word “midwiferyâ€

TracyDonegan

It would be great to see some mums at the screening ! It’s over in the City North hotel – so no trekking to Dublin !

Tracy

Where else but to have a premier than Drogheda! 😀

kcireland

I watched the preview … SHOCKING!
    I had all mine in Canada (which is not unlike USA) and I was sent home in under 24 hours! It was a bit of shock the first time around … but by the third I was happy to go.
    I also received the PIT … inducing labour … my poor lil’ one suffered during the birth and was in intensive care.

Bookwitch

What is PIT Kc?
    was labour induced because of your choice or the doctor?

Taylor5

I might try rally a few of the girls, I’d love to see it.
    I’d love to see how the homebirth goes, If Im ever blessed to go again I’d love to have a homebirth, just the ease of it having dh on hand to be at the birth and look after ds etc…
    It would be a evening out and also help raise money for AIMS…. come on girls

AIMSIreland

PIT is pitocin

Taylor – if you are interested in tickets please email me at info@aimsireland.com – they are going fast!!!

Happy New Years Ladies!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.