Irish New Year Traditions

Home Forums National Chat Irish New Year Traditions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    kcireland

HELP! Just wondering if there are special Irish traditions? We’re having friends over and worried about everything from times to food.
    Your suggestions greatly appreciated!

rossylisa

get pissed 😆 😆 😆 😆

ed1
    Participant

dont think there are any special irish traditions for new years eve just as lisa said….get pissed.

we will be having friends over too and i will just do a buffett salad and few finger foods. plenty of drink and a singsong with ps 2 singstar.

years ago they used to ring the bells at the thosel but not sure if they do that anymore. we used to be able to hear them from our front door.

rossylisa

i have dhs family coming down so i have to cook for 7 adults and 2 kids 😥 will make a roast because im sure there all fed up with turkey and ham and then have a few beers and ring in the new year very merry 😆

kcireland

Thanks ladies .. not much different from Canada. We usually have a fondue on News Year’s Even if there’s no kids, but with 7 adults & 9 kids … I like the finger food idea … with TONS of booze!

joey_rudd

The thonsel’s bells are broken so they won’t be ringing this year

scole1

there is a thing they say open the front door and the back door at the chime of midnight to let in the new and out the old. also very good luck if you get a red haired person to walk through your front door after midnight brings luck for the year bad luck if hear a cat wailing aftermidnight……..

rossylisa

bad luck if heara cat wailing aftermidnight……..

fuck the neigbours cat better be quite and he is a black cat to 😥

ed1
    Participant

my friend who is coming tomorrow night is a red head. must get her to walk in after midnight. i will lock her out till then 😆 😆 😆 as for the cat, my neighbours cat likes to cry outside my house all the time. she better not tomorrow night.

ArtyMum

I heard the one about leaving the doors open alright but not the cat or the red head!

Anyone got any more?

Taylor5

She only made the last two up 😆 😆 😆

Did hear the door one, also dont know if it new years eve or christmas eve, but my mam would always say the first light should be lit by the youngest in the house, so I would have to light a candle at dusk…. but not too sure of the day

happymumblemum
    Participant

we always put coins on an upturned broom out side the door before midnight then after midnight sweep in the money…it brings money and good luck. Have done this in my family as long as I can remember. 😀

scole1

i didn’t make the last 2 up i swear we didn’t have any red heads in our family but my cousin was a strawberry blonde so we used to be fighting over who’s house she went to on new years eve……like the broom one that’s a good one……

well i slept through it all, i fell asleep on the bed and the hubby neve woke me up even when he was going to bed…..the inlaws were over and they perhaps think i was being ignorant….very annoyed with him….

kcireland

Sorry to hear you slept through it Scole … at least you saved yourself from the New Year hangover!
    We all ended up outside at midnight … my friend said it was a Dublin tradition … thank goodness there we’re other neighbours who knew about the tradition and we all ended up outside wishing eachother a Happy New Year.
    Great craic!

Taylor5

Yeah we did that too up in Dublin but not down here…. all the neighbours wished in the New Year
    Last night here the neighbours had a HUGE firework display, it was better then the one in SH earlier this year. It went on for about 20 mins and it was fab….. even if ds woke in fright and the dog was scared out of her wits!!!! Ds ended up looking out the window and enjoyed every minute of it. so alls well is ends well.
    Well Happy New Year to you all

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.