Insurance Question..

Home Forums National Chat Insurance Question..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    happymumblemum
    Participant

Our dog managed to get in to our bedroom last week ( still haven’t got a stair gate..gonna have to buy one :lol: ) when we were out and decided to eat the mattress..don’t ask :lol: :shock:

Would it be worth claiming on the house insurance..our excess is 250 euro I think , and we do have accidental damage..would it make our premium next year sky high?

snowdrop

Dont think it makes a big difference on your premium next year. I had to claim for a sofa a few back and never even noticed the difference.

But I have a bigger problem, got the county council out to check my water pressure and they have informed me they I have a leak under the house. Which is now MY PROBLEM not theres. Im losing about 50% of my water throught this leak and it could be swelling under the house, creating all sorts of damage. Anyone ever have this or similar problem and how did they fair out?

Financial Companion
    Participant

Happymum, depending on the mattress value it could be worth claiming for and it shouldn’t have any noticeable affect on your next premium, if you have the receipt for the mattress is should make things go a bit smoother, if not get a quote from a shop that sells most similar and that should suffice. Under a certain value claim they usually don’t bother sending an assessor, just settle the claim! 😉

Snowdrop, how old is the house? Do you know where the leak is coming from? It could well be something that is covered under your home insurance, but if it is considered wear and tear over a few decades, it may not be as easy. It’s certainly worth pursuing it. See how much info you can get from the county council people that looked at it. If the house is less than 10 years old, it may be covered under the Homebond scheme? If there is a potential for it to cause longer term damage to other houses, it may be something to get the council to look at again, or not dealing with it could leave them liable to other properties.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.