Infant education?????????

Home Forums National Chat Infant education?????????

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    mitsch

i bought my son a few lil books when he was about 4 or 5months old and he loved when i read them to him, hes 10months old now and he’ll sit up on my knee for ages when im reading his books..he even turns the page for me!!! :D i dont think theres a special "age limit" when you should start reading babies books, we’re always reading and doing nursery rhymes and he love them!! :D dont mind what anybody else says…mammy knows best!!! :wink:

I wish i could go back to those days with a cubby little baby on my knee reading books… loved reading your post it took me back xxx

mitsch

ok so i went and bought my 4.5 month old daughter some flash cards and books yesturday by baby einstein. i have had a couple of people including her grandmother (not my mom, my boyfriends mom) tell me i wasted my money on it cuz she cant even talk yet, and she has no idea whats going on. has anyone else started buying flashcards and videos and books, and teaching their infants before they started talking? i didnt finish school, nor did i pay much attention (im not stupid im average) and i just want my daughter to have more in life than i ever got. does anyone else think this was a stupid idea and a waste of money?

lyn11

Reading to your child is gift. It builds the bond between you and them and gives them an early love of the written word. I am due my first baby any day and already have a bookshelf full of books to read to them, in fact some of them I have read aloud to babs already. Dont be put off reading to your child, make it a special time for both of you and you will be amazed at how their interest develops as they do. As a pre-school teacher I have seen kids who were not able to hold a book, go away at the end of the year with favourite stories memorised, bigger vocabularies and a genuine love of books because time was spent on reading to them. Check out the Book People online for some cheap but lovely stories, also amazon often have good deals, and dont forget the local library 😀 😀 😀 😀

munchin
    Participant

i read to both my girls from a very young age – flash cards i think they were nearer one before i used them but i have a few books with "baby’s first words" type of things that i would of used. Reading is one of the best gifts we can give our kids – bedtimes stories are a must in our house and could go on allllllllll night if we let them 😆 😆 My 4yr old has a tag reading system and is flying with it and i can see a huge difference in her interest in it again now that she’s started school.
    Personally i wouldn’t beput off

Taylor5

my ds1 had flashcards from about 3 or 4 months old, he was reading ladybird books himself when he was in playschool, some people did knock this as not reading but knowing the book from memory and kids that young cant read.
    I think reading to your child is a wonderful thing, something i dont do enough of now if im honest, we would sit and read for hours. Did you look into baby sign language? I did this with ds1 but not with ds2 as ds2 had hearing problems and i want him to be able to lipread and not use signs (i got this advice from a parent of a deaf child)
    My ds2 could sign well before he could talk, i think about about 8 or 10 months old he signed from his buggy "look, Aeroplane" I nearly fell out of my standing. I had all the negative comments from my mother and MIL, justnod and say yes and do you own thing 😆 😆 😆 😆
    i have a load of baby books here, your very welcome to have them, now many are half eaten and well worn, but a book is a book to a young baby!

crazylady

hi there,
    when my boy was weeks old i used to use stuffed toys,animals.they were colourful too…and tell him all about were they were from,and the colurs they were,then i used baby books on animals and read to him,etc etc
    i think they take in alot more then we realise!
    my son was a very early talker,and i think this has all helped,he reads lovely now too and asks so many questions which for me,is lovely….
    the only thing i did was over stimulate him with info!!!
    why not help them all you can? x

Taylor5

Crazylady my first was book mad and he still loves books, he gets me to record Discovery programmes, he just wants more and more information day in and day out…. the second guy was never into books like ds1 and he is his own person, away with the fairies, really funny and sings and dances, ds1 isnt like that at all he would be happier to sit and read books all day

crazylady

taylor5 its very true,and its a story i hear alot!
    women who have 2,3 and 4 children all brought up the same,but they are all different,or theres one "harder" one!! there certainly was in our house growing up……. 😆
    funny,my lad loves discovery too,crocs,snakes polar bears etc,plus he has a globe and loves to name the countries,people are amazed he knows them all,but hey,as you seen on my other post,he has difficulties in other areas,so i help were i can and encourage anything he shows interest in,
    i think its good for them,its a proud moment too when they know stuff.
    saying all of that,teacher told me a few days ago they will be putting my lad back a few books as hes just started to struggle! 🙁
    so we went out and got some other books to help him at home,but he is starting to lose interest….i guessing this is all part of his adhd,as children like him start off fairly bright and then its quite common for them to start to fall behind 🙁
    as long as he dose ok,i dont mind.

Jedt
    Keymaster

I think its great you’re doing that. the baby may not understand it yet but the time together and bonding you get is great for starters and they pick up things quickly so keep at it!

We did some baby signing as well as lots of reading with our children from when they were babies and it really does pay off. Our 8 year old is a fantastic reader, he is reading books way ahead for his age.

We read to all our children at night and now, some nights our 8 year old reads a book to his 6 & 4 year old sisters too and they love it. He is teaching them too, as well as learning himself.

I would not pay too much heed to what someone else says, you are the mam and you know whats best for your baby.

Check out baby signing too, you might like that. its amazing how babies pick that up at a young age too. babies are clever and intuitive – I think people often underestimate what they are capable of!

Taylor5

Crazylady i think its common that they drop back every now and then, my fella races ahead then gets bored… he will read books nonstop when new but after a while he puts them away. We have a globe light got it in the wise owl, only about 20e and its has lasted years and years

jacksmammy

i bought my son a few lil books when he was about 4 or 5months old and he loved when i read them to him, hes 10months old now and he’ll sit up on my knee for ages when im reading his books..he even turns the page for me!!! 😀 i dont think theres a special "age limit" when you should start reading babies books, we’re always reading and doing nursery rhymes and he love them!! 😀 dont mind what anybody else says…mammy knows best!!! 😉

Jedt
    Keymaster

I’ve got that to look forward to soon with our babs!!

jacksmammy

Taylor5
    aww i love it, theres nothing better 😀 just wish time would stop flying by n slow down a bit!! 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.