ICY ROADS..WHATS THE STORY WITH GRITTING

Home Forums Louth Chat ICY ROADS..WHATS THE STORY WITH GRITTING

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

We live in Clogherhead and the roads are really bad today. Rang my sister who had made it into town to let her know they were getting worse. She made it home….just. Coming down Castlecoohill was madness she said, and one car trying to go up the hill had to give up and turn round. A friend in Termonfeckin met the gardai who told him to abandon the car and walk the rest of the way home.

I know the story, no money, no sand/salt left but surely safety has to come in somewhere. I know we can choose not to drive but what about emergency services etc. What cost on a life? Luckily, we haven’t had such bad weather in many years so surely they could pull out the stops and ensure our roads are safe.

Babs

Just having the same conversation here….there has to be money set aside for it!!!!!!!!! Yet where are they? We drove to mornington today and it was very scary!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dread to hear of a tragic accident that could be prevented by gritting roads. The garda, ambulance, doctors, fire personnel all have to use these roads too. Surely, they have the right to travel on safer roads.

Its always Money, money, money…….ahhhhh 😡

its horrid around the ballsgrove and other estates up this way i couldn’t live the house for 5 days it was that bad i was about to scream or go mad no taxis would come up this way 👿 plus my mum had a bad fall 🙁 .

Taylor5

I think the salt only works so well, most ot main roads are clear but the side roads are terrible. The problem might be the fact that the ground temp isnt even raising above 0 during the day and not thaw at all…
    meath is terrible for not even gritting the main roads…

Maria30

There seems to be a problem with County Councils not gritting. Borough council will do main roads in Drogheda (they dont normally do housing estates) but County Council dont seem to be doing any roads on outskirts of town that fall under their responsibility. Hope it doesnt take an accident for them to get their fingers out and do their jobs.

Taylor5

i was talking to a paramedic a few weeks ago, he was telling me about a car accident at the City North Hotel….. I think the 999 call was made from the hotel landline, so the call came from fingal area code the 999 despatch went to Tara Street station…….. he is from OLOL and is part of the trauma team and only 9 mins from the accident, but the girls callout was under the fire service and not the health board as he would have been working under….
    Well by the time the Ambulance got from Dublin the poor girl was dead 🙄 He did say even if they got to the girl in 9 mins she may have still died but the quicker you get to a serious accident the better your chance of survival……
    If that 999 call came from a moble phone the OLOL ambulance crew would have been dispatched 😯 😯 😯

So word of warning if your unsure or on the boarder of counties and need a 999 call make it from a mobile phone not a land line 🙄

I know its a bit off the topic but it could be down to some red tape that the roads outside the town arent getting gritted…. maybe saving the salt to keep the town open!!!!!

Maria30

When you ring the emgerency services can you ask to be put through to a specfic area ie Drogheda fire station etc?

Its terrible that peoples lives are being put at risk like that.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good point about dialing 999 from a mobile. Lots of things we don’t know about making that call. I only found out few years ago that you can specify a cardiac ambulance if you need it too…….I only had to ring once for a neighbour of my mums. I genuinely thought the lady wasnt breathing, couldnt get anything from her. Saw lots of meds and different things around which suggested heart/blood pressure issues. Was really scary having to call 999. She did recover. Not something I would wish to have to do again. But its good to know things like this.

noeleenw

roads are really bad today dh had to out with tractor at 5 am and pull a lorry up the hill outside our house the road is like glass typical of the county council they havent once gritted the country roads around us over christmas just wait til they come looking for votes again 🙄

sunshineorla

I’m in grangebellew and the roads are so bad that they even closed some of them off christmas day. You literally take your life into your hands going out I’m sick of it. Travelled up from Carlow yesterday and the only place there was dodgy roads was when we got off the motorway at Dunleer and hit grangebellew. I’m afraid to go driving anywhere.

Maria30

It ll be chaos tomorrow when most people go back to work. Hopefully gritters will be out in force tonight

Taylor5

When you ring the emgerency services can you ask to be put through to a specfic area ie Drogheda fire station etc?

Its terrible that peoples lives are being put at risk like that.

The problem with that girls accident out a city north was that it was rang from a 01 landline number so it went to the central control with is the fireservice, fireservice do all ambulance calls in Dublin….. so that Ambulance was sent from Tara Street in the City Centre……. the health board and the fireservice dont pass calls over to each other 🙄 If that call was made from a mobile phone the ambulance call would have been a healthboard/hse call and the trauma ambulance 8 miles away in Drogheda would have been dispatched…. just red tape!!!!! Doesnt make sense to send an Ambulance 30 miles when there is a hospital only 8 miles down the road ❗ ❗ ❗ ❗ ❗
    Mummy5 yes there are cardic ambulances alright, but there is a down side to that… when my father had his heart attack he was put down for a cardic ambulance….. 40 mins later and 3 999 calls and still no ambulance (cardic one was tied up admitting a paitent into hospital) so we were sent a Fire truck and the paramedics from the firetruck took over the cpr from my brother and I….. the longest 40 mins of my life! Oh, yes my father did died that day, but he could have still died if the ambulance got there in 5 mins……. you just never know!!!!
    When things work well in Ireland they work very well but when they dont by God they fail on a massive scale!!!!!

hjs

I know off the subject slightly and changing the tone but I have had the best laugh of Xmas this pm sending 3yo Achtung Man out onto the icy road on our cul de sac (ultra safe, v small, can c him all time, cars v slow in and out ANYWAY cos of all kids always playin out, but now cos of ice CRAWLING at 2 mph)

He didn’t get the concept of ice = slippy and kept going a over t every step, like bambi! Well, I never went through so many tena lady in 10 mins in my life, hilarious! we even had the you’ve been framed situation of he’d got halfway across road heading for the green, did a spectacular treble twist with pike, ending in forwards/backwards legs splits.He was so bewildered didn’t know which way was up to goback to me or carry on heading for the grass. And I was so creased with laughter. I couldn’t even get to him!

I was just sorry we weren’t filming hm with FC’s present. And yes I do love him and did help him eventually, but not until we’d all managed to get good mileage out of his very steep learning curve! Tough love!!!

Maria30

Taylor, thats terrible what happened to your dad. It must have been so hard for you all. You would just assume if there isnt a cardiac ambulance available they would just send a standard one. I cant imagine what it must have been like for you.

Like you said when things work well its great and when they dont its a total disaster.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.