How many washes?

Home Forums Louth Chat How many washes?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    sunshineorla

My hubbie reckons we have an abnormal amount of laundry and i was wondering how many people live in your house and how many loads of laundry you do a week? Just as a matter of interest.
    I have a 7kg wash ing machine. Usually fill it to the brim with a load hardly room for the water and I’d say I do about 8 loads a week. There is 2 adults, 1 teenage girl and a toddler in the house. Does that seem alot?
    I dry all the clothes on our radiators and clothes horse and only use the dryer on rare occaions (need something in a hurry) maybe once a month.
    So how do we rate?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thats a tough one to rate. I know we have 2 adults, 4 children(incl toddler) and I wish I had less washing. I dread seeing one of the older ones coming down the stairs with a mountain!!!! But then can I really give out to them for changing their bedcovers and bringing down the old ones. Towels are a biggie with teenage daughters but again at least they wash!!!!I have 3 washbaskets 😳 but its easier to separate all the clothes into whites, coloured and towels so you can grab a bundle and wash them.

My mam saw the two days ( 8 in our family) and now loves bragging about her one wash on the line, dried, then ironed and put away!!!!! Roll on the years when I have one wash.

Maria30

I d say eight washes a week is ok. We have four in our house and I ve just put on the 3rd wash of the day but I did let it build up a bit too much 😥

I normally put on at least 1 wash a day, didnt bother yesterday hence the build up and there is always more at the weekend anyway.

I love getting to the bottom of the wash basket but it never stays empty for long!! Nearly convinced hubby and eldest son who is 11 wait until its empty to bring down another pile!!!!

Fabienne

2 kids under 6, 2 adults, and very little wash. max 3/week (often 2), quite full 😳 but it washes.
    I also have 2 basket, one for the darks one for the light so no need to separate it as the last minute.
    Really don’t like "work for clothes" (shopping for it, washing it), so keep it to a minimum….

Talk soon,
    Fabienne

Taylor5

I have 2 adults and 2 kids 4 and 1… I would at least 6 to 8 washes every week use the dryer for everything 😳
    I know Im the maker of the problem as i change the bedclothes every week, thekids get clean pj’s vests, babygrow etc.. every night 😳 (something my mother did)
    If the kids wear clothes I might put them on the chair and let them wear it again but 9 times out of 10 they are straigtht into the wash basket…..

The only think I dont wash after one use is bath towels, we all use Bath Sheets (the big ones… even the baby) they only get washed every 3 to 4 showers….After all they are just wet not dirty so let them dry and fold up and hang in our rooms…. If i washed them every shower/bath I’d have about 15 washes a week 😆 😆 😆

Bookwitch

8 washes doesn’t seem all that much to me there are five of us and I do about 8-10 washes a week and use dryer alot 😳

Bookwitch

actually I always remember sitting on train from Dublin with two lovely ladies from Texas who chatted to me and kids all the way down and commented on all the washing lines in back gardens. It was middle of summer but they were surprized and asked me "Don’t y’all have dryers?"

sunshineorla

Was that recently bookwitch? Seems hilarious. Probably pre the enviromentally friendly era.
    It’s def true the minute I can see the bottom of the laundry basket 3 full ones appear. Think there is about 6 laundry baskets in this house, then again 10 of us use to live here!!! What washing powdeer do you find is good?? And how do you stop bibs going mouldy? Have been using bleach but I know its not good. Any other suggestions Kim and Aggie????

Bookwitch

It was only two years ago orla!! I guess Texans aren’t big on the eco thing!
    I use persil or fairy or ariel but that’s beacuse I have to use non-bio because we all have sensitive skin
    I’ve never found anything to keep the bibs from getting mouldy but milton might be better than bleach it’s baby friendly

Taylor5

I got olive oil soap in the health store for the bibs and its fantastic I just prewash the bad ones or ones that look like they will stain…. i use fairy but not great at bibs etc…. I use Persil bio for tough stain washes!

Am i the only person to wash Adults clothes and kids clothes seperate, use non bio on kids and what every is on offer for ourselves….

just thinking you have 7kg drum…. so that is alot of washing. Would it all be dirty or just worn once?

sunshineorla

Never heard of using the olive oil soap (very popular soap in turkey). What do you do , scrub them with the soapy water?
    Yeah milton too would be a better idea than the bleach.
    I mostly do logans separate because I just empty his laundry bag straight into the machine, one darks and one lights.
    They would all dirty clothes. I try to get 2/3 days out of trousers and 2 days out of jumpers. If it’s next to the skin it gets one . 😆 😆
    Logans clothes get one day which is enough abuse for any clothes. Ken has his work clothes that he ‘ll wear a few days and lauren has her school uniform so it’s not as if we are changing our clothes every 5 minutes. Try and reuse the towels at least twice.
    Anyone ever use vinegar its supposed to be the miracle cleaner???

hjs

Washer on every day, usually once, occasionally twice so I’d say 8 is about right (me, dh, dd5 and ds2).

Never use dryer. Only had one in last 5 months, never had 1 before in my life, dunno how to work it now. That’s what adiators (winter) and washing lines(summer) are for, right?!? Another peculiarity of mine…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.