Hospital Saturday Fund

Home Forums National Chat Hospital Saturday Fund

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lellykelly

Hi I am just wondering if anyone is a member of this? I am thinking of changing from our current health insurer to this scheme & am wondering what the major differences are. thanks!

Financial Companion
    Participant

Hi Lelly, Hospital Saturday fund is a very different option from the traditional private health insurance options. Instead of covering all or part of a cost, they pay an amount towards an event. The higher premium you pay, the higher the amount is. If you go on to their website and click on the plan options, even the highest premium option, it shows you what they would pay and in what events. But it’s not the same as landing into the mater private and having a 10,000 euro bill fully paid for. Also, many options are only covered in the event of an accident, so be careful of that. Like any options, it’s a good idea to really compare like with like and take the time to read all of the "small print" in their offerings. Hope that’s of some help. Dave.

lellykelly

Thanks, I knew that you would have the inside track 😉 I’m thinking of switching it for myself & the children as we (up until now anyway) only avail of our cover to claim back a portion of the GP costs from the year. My husband would stay with the traditional health cover. I was thinking of putting the money saved into one of the serious illness cover plans we discussed before.

Financial Companion
    Participant

It’s the uncertaintly that is the hard part. We had gone through a phase where there had been no medical issues at all, then all of a sudden, tonselectomy, discectomy and apendictomy within about a year! I reckon VHI paid out almost 20,000 including surgeries and hospital stays! If you do decide to switch after weighing everything up, I’ll run the figures for you on the specified illness side of things.

lellykelly

Again!! 🙄

I was just looking at the figures there for example it says that it pays €100 a night for a hospital stay. I’ll have to look into it more though as I dont know how much it costs per night in a hospital for a start. There doesnt seem to be much ‘fine print’ available so I dont know whether thats a good thing or a bad thing

Hawkeye

I know when I was in the mater private for three nights getting disc surgery, the portion of the bill that covered the actual hospital stay (separate from consultant, meds etc.) was about 4,000 😯

A friend who was in for 10 days getting a knee replacement said the accommodation part of her bill was over 14,000!

Think of a few scenarios, then ring them up and ask for specific examples, that should help you be a bit clearer on choice 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.