Hospital Baby Bag – what do you need?

Home Forums Pregnancy, Mums2Be, Birth, New Parents Hospital Baby Bag – what do you need?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

We’ve put together some suggestions for what to bring in your hospital bag when having a baby.

You should divide up the following into two small pieces of luggage, one for mum and one for baby. Have your labour bag ready to take with you when you think you are going into labour. (Its a good idea to have it ready from around 36 weeks just incase!)

Your hospital bag for labour & birth should contain the following:
    Maternity notes with birth plan
    An old t-shirt/night shirt for labour (something you won’t wear again!)
    Wide opening nightshirt pyjamas if breastfeeding (clothes with poppers great for this)
    An old pair of socks for labour (your feet can get cold in labour)
    Personal items: toiletries, tissues, lip balm, cold water
    Birthing ball (if desired)
    TENS machine (if desired)
    Breast pads
    Support bra &nursing bra, if breastfeeding
    Sanitary towel packs (2 packs, Maternity variety)
    Disposable but comfy old knickers for after the birth (these will be thrown out)
    Dressing gown/slippers/spare nightwear
    Flip flops for the shower
    Dark coloured towel/one for each day
    Camera
    Change for parking facilities
    Light snacks, magazines, newspapers, book
    Own pillow in coloured pillowcase (if desired, helps feel more homely)
    Hair ties/accessories
    Comfortable loose clothes to go home in (which fit you at 26 weeks pregnant as you will still have quite a bump)
    Mobile phone charger
    Any relevant prescribed medication
    Pen

For baby:
    Long sleeved babygrows X 6
    Vests X 6 (all baby clothes should be pre-washed before packing)
    Cardigan
    Hat
    Pre-washed baby towel
    Pack of nappies (newborn size)
    Cotton wool balls/pack (Or Irish Breeze water wipes, ideal for newborns)
    Baby bibs X 6
    Baby blanket X 2
    Cot sheet X 2
    Car seat (to be brought in on the day you are going home)

We hope this helps and if anyone has other suggestions for things to pack, please share. :D

munchin
    Participant

have babies first outfit – vest, nappy, babygro, hat and your own blanket if required in a small bag in your own labour bag and make sure DH knows where it is. Usually when you are in the labour ward the midwifes will ask for this.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Yep, its a good idea to have baby’s stuff in a seperate bag. If you’ve bought a baby changing bag, that will do grand. 😀

Yvonne

Small change
    Soother for baby if you are using one (my DD was in special care and we had to go home, they gave her a teat stuffed with cotton wool!)
    Arnica

Agree with Munchin, labour bag and babys first clothes together – and definitely show DH where they are! My DH couldn’t see DS’s first outfit for some strange reason!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Keep your tips coming – this is a very helpful thread for mums-to-be 🙂

janemam

Arnica for healing is always welcome…

Jedt
    Keymaster

I always have Arnica in the house, its brilliant to have for bruising. Great for after birth

Anonymous
    Inactive

If we’ve left anything out you think a mum in labour or new mum would need, please go ahead and add in.

Fabienne

Plastic bag to put dirty laundry (mum’s and baby’s)
    My husband used to come and visit me daily so he brought what was missing and clean stuff and always took back the plastic to do laundry at home. So very small space in hospital for your belongingns, than less is more if you know that hubby will come and visit daily or twice daily and just make sure the minimum is in hospital tiny drawer.

Fabienne

rossylisa

Also have some spares put a side at home for the hubby to just take up to you

joeyrudd

better start on my bags, the list is handy because i always forget something.
    hopefully i have plenty of time and this baby won’t be as early as my last one

Jedt
    Keymaster

wont be long now Joey!!! 😀

joeyrudd

feels like its taking forever but as long as baby is safe i’m willing to wait…the kids can’t wait though 🙂

munchin
    Participant

I wouldn’t know where to start now ha ha
    Best of luck with everything Joey

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.