Heater advice?

Home Forums National Chat Heater advice?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Taylor5

Girls last winter I would put the heating on for a few hours each night, but after getting 450 euro bills I think it will be getting knocked on the head.
    Also ds room is the last rad on the system and heated last and not as hot as the others after an hour, the whole house would be roasting but his room would be still chilly.
    What Im thinking of doing or looking for is an Oil rad with a thermostat on it, I dont want the thermostat to turn off at a certain temp, but to turn on the rad when it drops below 18degrees. Is there such a rad out there?
    Dont mind the price withinn reason, would pay up to 200 euro or so.
    Please help or advice where I could go
    Thanks
    Oh ds room is like a haunted room, its always cold, well colder then all the other rooms in the house

Moonflower

Hi taylor,

I will be interested in replies to this as well, our living room is always so cold and have a fan heater in there at mo, but said to dh need to get a better plug in heater this year to give a boost, coz even when raditors are on its still not warm. We have a coal fire that can be lit, but thats dangerous during day with ds running around…..

As for haunted room energy, i think every house has a cold room, is this roomnorth or south facing? thats usually cause but if its south facing then some energy work could warm it up a bit………noy saying its haunted just sometimes a room holds energy from previous occupants, they dont have to have died, but if arguments were held in that room or if negative emotions were dealt with in that room then that can cool a rooms energy down. 😮

I think its probably just the heating system though……

Moonflower xx

EJ

OOOH Spookey Moonflower!

Im a colour consultant, so if its a north facing room, with cooler colours used in the decor, you could try warming it up with some orange/ red, say a bunch of flowers, cushions, or a throw. You could also try changing your light bulbs to those Soft Pink ones, for a warmer glow, you’d be surprised and the difference a few small changes will make.

EJ

Taylor5

Its North facing, but so are the other 2 front bedrooms, the 3 northfacing bedrooms are all painted the same, a warm cream. The largeroom is a bedroom and it always warm, the smaller room is an office and again always warm, ds nursery is on the northeast side and its always cold. Its a bigger room then the office and painted in creams with Zeddy stuff from M&P to give the nursery look.
    Its fine during the day but a night its like a fridge. No one died or rowed in the room as it was a new house and it was my mum bedroom before it was a nursery……. she could have been fighting with herself in there 😆 😆 😆 😆

No one have any advice on a heater ❓

EJ

Hi Taylor, you can get thermostatically controlled valves for the radiators, Im not sure about gas v’s oil ones, or water v’s air systems… I know if you have gas heating you can contact Bord Gas, or Midland Gas and query it with them. But Im not sure who you would contact with a query regarding the oil system…

scole1

sorry taylor perhaps needs a bleed out we have had this and as you know with me moaning the burring noise and moonflower not someone wailing.. 😆 😆 😆 but getting boiler serviced too and he is going to check heaters some heat up others don’t i think these days they put in plastic pipes maybe theses are causing problems dunno soz

Moonflower

Oh Taylor, i am sorry…there was you looking for a heater recommendation and i jumped in with a spooky story….sorry!!

I am just going to but a heater from the argos catalogue, as will be around to control it…..but i can see what you are saying…..

You would like a plug in heater that is on standby and comes on when the temperature drops below a certain level……..

Our radiators are very bad as well, will need to get a plumber to sort them out in our last house we got them all bled and the difference…our kitchen was like a furnace, whereas it had always been really cold…….

Taylor5

I had the boiler service at the start of the summer and the man checked all the rads. The nursery rad does heat fine but even after the heating being on for an hour at night, its still cooler then the other rooms.
    We cant put those valves on our rads as the system in our house is a bit funny, we can only control the heat by thermostats on each floor not per room.

I have seen plug in oil rads but they only seem to turn off at a certain tem but not no, Might call to heatmerchants and have a chat. Didnt think of Argos, I always find what I want there.
    Its just in the middle of winter even with the heating on every now and then ds room isnt as warm as I’d like it. Im not going to heat the whole house at night this winter, as I dont think I could cope with more 450/500 euro gas bills 🙄 🙄 🙄
    I’ll keep looking and will let you know what I find

Happymammy

Hi Taylor

Just wondering, ,my friends house is three years old and the insulation in the attic wasnt spread evenly enough over that side of the attic floor so as to cover her spare room bedroom if you know what i mean. SO the heat was just escaping through the roof. Might be worth a goo if you can get the hubby up to have a look in the attic floor space cover your sons room. You could just buy a roll of insulation from the hardward and roll it down over the floor to keep him all snug and cosy! Mind you i wouldnt go up there is i was you just incase you have a ghost 😆 !!!!!

Taylor5

As far as I know thats not the problem, our attic is floored but think all this was done before the floor went down. Dh did the flooring and he would have noticed if something wasnt right, but will get him ot double check

Happymammy

Heya
    My DP is a carpenter and he said if the floor is down then they would have put underlay under it so its not ya attic afterall. Sorry i have no more brainy idea’s. Its definetely a ghost 😆

Taylor5

boooooooo

God your a great help 🙄

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.