Having a baby after PND

Home Forums ASK THE EXPERT Pregnancy & Birth Having a baby after PND

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Maria30

Hi,

I m just looking for some advice regarding having another baby after pnd. I m still on meds for my PND but hoping to be off them in the next few months.

My husband and I would really like to have 1 more child but we are worried about the pnd returning. I would like to know what the chances are and is there anything we can do to help prevent it.

We both know what the signs are now and my husband has agreed to drag me kicking and screaming to the doctors if he has to. But I would like to know if there is any extra support available as the last time I left it 14 months before getting help and I made life hell for hubby and kids during this time and I really dont want to do that again.

Bookwitch

I know how you feel I waited until my first was 4 before getting pregnant again I was so scared of getting PND again and guess what I did! But, I talked to my doctor and midwife before giving birth and my GP after and they were great as soon as there were any signs of PND my GP put me on medication and I was off after nine months and by the time she was 2 i had a third baby and had slightly less severe PND and coped without medication.

Some people are just prone to PND I suppose chemical imbablance or something but if you want another one talk to your doctor and just go for it. By the way second time around I didn’t develop PND until she was a few months old, the first few weeks were brilliant. My husband was fantastic and as long as you have your dh support and family and friends you will be fine. Good luck.

Maria30

Thanks Bookwitch.

I suppose I’m just afraid of going back to those horrible dark lonely days of pnd. I would love to be able to enjoy those early weeks of babys life rather than dread every part of every day.

I suppose the fact that myself and hubby know what to look out for is a good thing. Knowledge is power after all!!!!

I’m glad to hear you came through pnd and went on to have more children.

I think you got me 2 books in to waterstones about pnd for me. I have to say that was one of the hardest things I ever did. It was the first time I said pnd to anybody other than doctor or hubby. Thanks for your help and understanding.

Bookwitch

Was that you? I remember that! You were very brave and I’m only too happy to help.

Maria30

Yeah, that was me. Saying it out loud to somebody else was a big stepping stone on my road to recovery.
    Thanks again for your help. So glad you better and you are proof that you can survive pnd which is a great relief.

pookie2

No sign of PND second time round – even though baby didn’t sleep for 9 months, & hubby lost job and ended up working away from home – but had taken precautions. Told health nurse I wanted to see her regularly for as long as possible – was great. Kept checking on me. Had parents and friends on standby to help me, watch for signs, went for counselling before 2nd birth. Also PND website based in Cork – fab support and advice. Good luck

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.