have you given this christmas?

Home Forums Louth Chat have you given this christmas?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    scole1

we all like to give something at christmas…whether it’s christmas charity cards, or a toy for kids….it’s a tight time of the year for many but if people can it’s nice to give back somethign and doesn’t need to cost you a penny either….

i have this year as usual given something (sound like a saint..i tell you i aint) anyway i’ve also given things that i have been given away so paying it forward…so we can give this christmas locally to those who need it as you never know we might need it some day….

so some ideas for ya…

samples and goodie bags i’ve received i’ve given to a chairty going to girls’s prison in belarus kids aged between 11 – 17yrs old(they have nothing and are teenage girls who have been sent to work as prostitutes and have been thrown in jail) they get one week a year from a charity zestforkidz to have building confidence etc and counselling and lots more…so i donated any goddie bags i got make up so they could use for that week to feel good about themselves….

HOMELESS AID DROGHEDA – Looking for non-perishable goods…tins of food, so instead of buying a load of christmas cards and posting i’m gonna do a shop and give them some food, pasta, rice, beans etc etc…minced pies, sure why not also any men’s clothing or unwated bedding..

Laurence’s town centre – see SUSAN – they are looking for gifts for children etc to be donated, but please contact the customer service desk and leave items there

there’s so much you can do…even see if you can try and visit and elderly person that may just want someone to talk to…or see if can assist with meals on wheels delivering christmas dinner, or simple think of someone and wish them good fortune, be kind and thoughtful, anything..give back what’s the harm…

Chairty shopped any unwanted toys to be sold for money for the cahrity shops

FINISHED WITH YOUR MAGAZINES you could dontae them to the community centre, or to the old folks home (YEAH THEY READ) I BRING MINE TO MY GRANNY IN LAW AND THEN WHEN SHE’S FINISED SHE BRINGS THEM TO HER GROUP (Ozamn Home) sorry caps was on not retyping sorry… ,

wishing everyone a wonderful christmas and a hopefully brighter 2010

anyone any other suggestions

sweetpea1979

here here……..christmas isn’t just a time to spend spend spend – sure what fun is there in that!!!

the true meaning of christmas is the giving……to the needy and lonely and unfortunate – so i agree instead of doing that what we always do, do something different and make a change to someone’s life who doesn’t have much!!!

Taylor5

havent hadtime to do much this year, I did give 50euro to the SVDP who were doing a Door to Door collection, will try find a local homeless guy and slip him 20 euro…. i always try find the Alco guy who sits at the Thounsel

libby1
    Participant

So far this month

I brought charity cards for two charity’s
    My ds and dd brought in perishable goods for hamper in school

The local scout group have there Mass of Giving next saturday – DS involved

Augustinian church have a Santa stocking on the altar for toys – the two above have a new toy for it tomorrow

Next weekend — where i work – Church gate Collection – so am giving time voluntary for this cause

This morning i did 4 hrs voluntarty work -i enjoy and have great friends from….

In work – we are making Hampers – male x2 / Family x 2/ childrens x 3 == butwe are looking after our own ( somebody always knows a difficult case- where somebody misses out) we often forget abour OUR OWN.

Two years a group of friends decided – instead of buying presents for the kids -th kids would give to a chosen charity – we have tea at a friends and the children tell the story about the charity and why the are giving

We feel as a Family it is important to give to others.. We all can learn from this experience

When did you last give……

Taylor5

i buy the gary kelly cards too…

God Libby your some woman, put most of us to shame

rossylisa

none yet.. always buy the temple street cards and usually the giving tree in the omni

scole1

will try find a local homeless guy and slip him 20 euro…. i always try find the Alco guy who sits at the Thounsel

some would say not very helpful, as he’d sqwander on drink and not a hot meal and a night in a hostel……

homeless aid delighted with anything they get, did ya know they feed 25 for breakfast, 40 for lunch, 100 for dinner, supper 25 every day…

they send out to 100 people per week food parcels…..
    was totallt amazed at that, considering really i have never hand on heart seen a homeless person lying out in drogheda, would see them everywhere in dublin, and hated seeing the kids out, i would buy them a mcdonalds rather than give them money to go for drugds, or back to their parents….

we really are very lucky to have what we have…..

scole1

libby fair play to you, you’re a real giver…. some nice suggestions too….

Taylor5

will try find a local homeless guy and slip him 20 euro…. i always try find the Alco guy who sits at the Thounsel

some would say not very helpful, as he’d sqwander on drink and not a hot meal and a night in a hostel……

homeless aid delighted with anything they get, did ya know they feed 25 for breakfast, 40 for lunch, 100 for dinner, supper 25 every day…

they send out to 100 people per week food parcels…..
    was totallt amazed at that, considering really i have never hand on heart seen a homeless person lying out in drogheda, would see them everywhere in dublin, andhated seeing the kids out, i would buy them a mcdonalds rather than give them money to go for drugds, or back to their parents….

we really are very lucky to have what we have…..

I dont really care if somethink its helpful or not , to me its the season of good will and its just passing on the christmas spirt… so what if they spend it on Drink!!! Its not like 20 euro will make them drink they will get their drink one way or another…….. they are entitled to a christmas too

Hi girls,

I had posted a response to this thread earlier but deleted it, simply because I figure that it’s not what you give but that you give. This year there are probably lots of people who have given in previous years that are not in a financial position to do so now. However as libby pointed out there is more than one way to give i.e. if you don’t have the financial means but have some free time you can do volunteer work. On the other hand there are others who prefer to give money or goods or whatever they can. There are people in desperate need out there this Christmas, therefore I think if we (as individuals) can help in some small way then that is the least we should do.

scole1

exactly razzle dazzle help those less fortunate than ourselves even if you can’t give financially you can give your time….again if you have the time to do that

Taylor5

I would love to have the time but I just dont… there is an old couple that live near me and if I ever see them at the bustop I will pick them up, I called over 2 weeks ago (during the wet weather) and asked did they need anything in the shops or if they needed a lift anywhere, they were delighted with the offer, they stopped me the other day to thank me for the offer and said it means alot (i told them if they ever need a spin up to homebase etc just ask as Im alway here)

Their reaction got me thinking…. there are two old old woman in the area one in Five Oaks the other in Stameen, I did give the stameen lady a lift one wet windy day, god love her she had loads of shopping and a dinner from the deli counter…. I was going to stop the next time I see these ladies and give them my number and the offer of a lift to the shop is weather is bad or if they arent feeling well… .what should I do? I dont know either of these Ladies I only know them to see, would they be offened. Im kinda thinking well If I ask all they can do is say either yes or no
    Do I or dont i ask them?

missysmum

taylor,

i would defo ask them, at least you’re giving them the offer of help if they need it, they are free to refuse, there are ways to offer your help without making them feel like you pity them, knowing you, you’ll do just fine. I doubt they would be offended.

I would love to have the opportunity to help someone like that. I have a little time to give to someone who needs it and would love to have an older person in my life, I dont get to see my granny anymore and i miss that type of chat and company. I’d love to adopt a granny who needs someone in their life even if it is only a bag of shopping or a cuppa and a chat!

libby1
    Participant

Giving time – costs nothing

Just hello can mean so much – The dfference it make to somebodys life..

Eveybody gives – think of raffles / flag days / church gate collections etc

To give is worth its weight in Gold
    I am Chairperson in a voluntary organisation ,we couldn’t survive unless people gave their time…

Saying hello to someone – giving lifts – collecting groceries etc

All these little things – Are giving something back

Babs

I think charity is a very personal..I admire people for giving (money or time) and feel it should be done quietly and respectfully…and the choice as to who or what charity to give to is also very personal..I find it very offensive that certain sectors in our society are not "worthy" of charity…everyone has a right to dignity and respect. I have worked with drug and alcohol dependent people and families going through tough times that fall into crime…having gotten to know these people as "people" it saddens me to think that someone would decide they were not worthy of a few bob…that person at the side of the street is somebody’s son or daughter, someone who has feelings, hopes and dreams…maybe changing the way we think about people could be our first step in charity.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.