Hanafin indicates child benefit changes!!!!

Home Forums Louth Chat Hanafin indicates child benefit changes!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I seen this this morning:

"Social and Family Affairs Mary Hanafin has indicated there is a possibility that three different levels of child benefit payments may be introduced.

Speaking on RTÉ’s The Frontline programme, Ms Hanafin said she accepted that social welfare payments would have to be reduced in next month’s Budget but she was trying to find savings without imposing too much hardship on people.

The minister said people on social welfare and on low incomes were identifiable and they would look to the Revenue Commissioners to identify higher income earners.

She said that she didn’t believe a woman should lose child benefit completely but the Government needed to be fair in how it was distributed.

Child benefit currently costs €2.5bn.

She said it would not mean that every mother would get the same amount of money and she did not believe a woman should be penalised because of her husband’s income.

Asked about assessing eligibility for child benefit, Ms Hanafin said a full tax and means testing of everyone wouldn’t be possible.

However, if you took a high income group you would be dealing with a very limited group and could do it for them."

I would say this is a good way of dealing with child benefit, and they should also cut child benefit leaving ireland( as if your child is not in this country then you should receive no benefit).

Sorry if i offend anyone but i really think this is how it should be…….

Very interesting. I wouldn’t have a problem with a tiered system of child benefit as long as it was fair.

I would question Mary Hanifins comment about not penalising a woman because of her husband’s income though?? Surely if the system is to be tiered it must be done based on the entire income to a household?

Regarding your comment about child benefit leaving the state….as far as I know this is covered by EU law therefore cannot be changed. I would imagine though with so many migrant workers now leaving Ireland the cost of this should reduce. [/quote]

Anonymous
    Inactive

My problem is what the High Income group would be. The media always mention the €100k, but if you take a couple with a joint income or single income of €100k and a couple of kids with Mortgage & Creche payments this doesnt go far and most people rely on the childrens allowance to cover some of their bills.
    I dont want to stick my head in the sand, we are down €500/month since the April Budget and i am assuming we are going to be down something similiar again after xmas. Thats €1000 from our take home pay each month.

Taylor5

Lai Im with you, I dont work Im a SAHM but I only can do this as dh is on a good wage, but we are feeling the last budget. Dh is got a promotion but was asked to take a pay freeze, so in affect he is down almost 20k a year already plus we have the next budget to look forward too…… I have a small pension which I pay 100% tax on, but this could even push us over the means test limit, so I think a cut across the board is the best option….

I wouldnt feel so bad if the one in power were taking cuts and the feckin bankers werent getting handout hand over fist…… its a reverse of robin hood, take from the poor and give to the rich!!!!
    Where will this all end?

missysmum

i’m a sahm too and have NO income only dh’s wages and things are getting very tight. i am getting genuinely scared at whats going to happen next in relation to taxation and benefits. honestly we really cant give much more and we have cut back a lot already.

what annoys me is that if and when this economy does properly turn around it will take a lot longer for the government to give us back our lower tax rates and benefits then it did for them to take them away.

👿 👿 👿

Taylor5

Get back lower tax rates 😯 That will never happen in our lifetime, dont forget they are borrowing 500million a DAY ❗ 😯 We will be paying this cockup back for years… maybe our grandkids will have low taxes 🙄 😆 😆 😆

noeleenw

when will the government realise that there are so many fat cats draining the money from the needy – the hse is a prime example also the perks etc that the government are on is serious – really think they should take a hard look at themselves before cutting the money for the needy 😈

noeleenw

when will the government realise that there are so many fat cats draining the money from the needy – the hse is a prime example also the perks etc that the government are on is serious – really think they should take a hard look at themselves before cutting the money for the needy 😈 another rant is i am self employed and made no money last year yet i had to pay preliminary tax – which i had to borrow to do -so that in turn they can give me my money back in a few months iykwim , but i will be out of pocket as i will have interest to pay on it

yummymummy

this day 3 weeks we will all find out.

i have no ida how they would go about tiering CB payment, i mean how will they justify income limits and if SAHM arent penalised by their hubbys wages how does the WM fair out???? are the dads wages going to be taken into account at all??? what happens with me?? will they take into account my x’s wages or mine or what???
    there are wayyyyyyyyyyy to many diff situations out there to make is anyway feasible.
    i reckon they will lower it €136 per child across the board!!!

also wonder if the PPR will be texed just like non PPR and water rates????? hmmmmmmm

Anonymous
    Inactive

ladys goto this link:

http://www.rte.ie/news/thefrontline/

and there is a little 10min video(if you have your kids settled watch it!!) of the interview with Mary Hanafin were she explains what they are trying to do!!

angelmum

i think unless you reduce it across the board its not going to work.that seems to be the fair way to do it.how many single parents live with their partners and get full allowence and partner is also working but state pays full benefit cos they are not aware of this.im not getting at single parents,i was one myself.its just there is so manydifferent situations out there and at the end of the day apart from the rich the rest of us depend on our child benefit.the middle income earners will be the hardest hit as usual.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i think unless you reduce it across the board its not going to work.that seems to be the fair way to do it.how many single parents live with their partners and get full allowence and partner is also working but state pays full benefit cos they are not aware of this.im not getting at single parents,i was one myself.its just there is so many different situations out there and at the end of the day apart from the rich the rest of us depend on our child benefit.the middle income earners will be the hardest hit as usual.

regarding single mothers living with partners, the only extra money they get is 22euro !!
    i know if there partners are working they have that bit more money to spend on them selfs, but usual they do it because they need it!!!

yummymummy

i think angelmum is refering to mothers who claim one parent and live with their partners!!

this comes up time and time again and really gets my goat…its soooooooooooo annoying to have this perception of single parents and to be tarred with the same brush the majority of the time.(im single parent but live alone…dont even have a partner)

what about the people on the dole working cash in hand..will that income be taken into account??? or people working and doing nixers, will that income be taken into account??? or carers who dont "care" for the specified person still claiming the money!!!!!

it can be hit at all types of welfare payments (even pensions where claims are being made for deceased people) please dont let it start into an arguement over welfare payments and that the gov are unaware of them cos they its just to much admin work to set up a proper fraud investigation.

roll on the 9th dec……cos just like every other year, not every single person is going to be happy about the outcome of the budget!!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

you are so right yummymummy, everyone in every walks of life claims for benefits there are not ment to be getting!!

angelmum

girls i think you picked me up wrong as in i was not having a go at single parents,as i said i was one and my sister and brother are both single parents.im sorry if i offended you,it was not intended.i suppose i used that example as i know what it’s like being a single parent but i obviously didnt use it very well.i think that its terrible that anyone on social welfare wil not get theitr christmas bonus,i know how much people depend on it to get shopping in for christmas and alot of the tinme people are trying to split it to tide them over till the new year.child benefit can be like that too.i know myself i put things off for the kids till child benefit comes in but it also goes towards bills cos without it we would be really struggling.so i didnt mean to annoy anyone cos all mothers are in the same boat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.