hair loss after birth of baby 4months ago!!

Home Forums National Chat hair loss after birth of baby 4months ago!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    mc2010

hey mums,
    hope someone can help me as my hair is falling out non stop since about a month after my baby was born and she is 4 months old now..its so distressing..my hair is everywhere all over the bathroom, bed ,baby!the brush is thick with hair after brushing my hair is thin but no bauld patches(thank god!) had anyone any advise…I’m not on the pill as this has caused hair loss previously and stopped taking and got pregnant as a result!!!obviously its hormone related but this is worse then before I got pregnant!I told my doctor and she said its normal but I honsetly don;t feel the amount coming out from the root is normal!!!!aNY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Taylor5

This happened me a few months after the birth of both my boys… i have short hair and so it wasnt too bad, but i remember after running the hover over the bathroom floor then after a shower and drying my hair i got a tissue to pick up the hair off the floor, im not joking i could have made a wig i had a handfull….. my sister was the very same, she had long hair and she said it was EVERYWHERE.
    Its very normal but it is a bit of a worry when you see the amounts, i think on a normal day we lose about 100 to 200 hairs (some huge number like that) and after pregnancy its alot more, mine did settle down after i started to take EPO (evening primrose oils) took a good month taking epo before it slowed up
    Hope it slows down soon

chewieodie
    Participant

Very definately normal….. I thought that I’d be bald by the time I’d finished. It seems unreal the amount of hair that you lose…. but whilst pregnant your hair loss slows down dramatically, so after the birth you lose, and more. It does slow down eventually.

scole1

this is normal, i swear you could make a dozens wigs from the hair that i loose, still, my hair is really thick so i loose loads and loads it’s kinda embarassing when getting my hair done as there are clumps of hair coming out of my head when the hairdresser combs it….but it’s normal, but if you feel it’s getting worse etc then go again to the doc..i think there is also a vitamin you can take to help your hair and nails, as they say hair, nails and teeth are important to look after after and during having a baby

Anonymous
    Inactive

normal…….had it after all my babies and wondered would it stop. it did. and then started again after I had the 5 babies. Was lovely when pregnant but fell out in clumps after 🙁 Good news is I still have a thick head of hair….didnt affect me long term.

This explains it well. http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-nor … 1335883.bc
    ———————————————————————————————–
    All new moms experience hair loss, though some lose more than others.

Here’s why it happens. During pregnancy, changes in your hormone levels cause your hair to stay in a resting phase for longer, so you lose less hair on a daily basis. (You may have noticed that your hair seemed thicker than usual.)

After you’ve given birth and your hormones have settled down — usually at about 12 weeks after delivery — more hair shifts into a shedding phase. You may be alarmed to find hair coming out by the handful.

Normally, you lose about 100 to 125 hairs a day, but after delivery, you may be losing about 500 a day. This can be very disturbing, but try not to worry too much — you won’t go bald!

There’s little you can do about the shedding, other than to be patient. The shedding tends to be most noticeable when you’re shampooing or brushing your hair, so you may find that shampooing less frequently or letting your hair dry naturally instead of brushing and blow-drying helps slow the loss.

On the other hand, it’s going to fall out at some point, and you might prefer that it happen in private. Regular washing and brushing may help you avoid leaving a trail of shedding hair behind you all day. Try using a thickening shampoo if you feel your locks are getting too thin.

You may notice fine "baby" hair growing along your hairline at the top of your forehead once the shedding phase has ended. Having bangs can do a lot to camouflage this wispy new growth while it’s growing out.

Within another six months or so, your hair should be back to its normal pre-pregnancy thickness, but you may find that the texture of your hair is never exactly the same. It may be wavier or straighter or more dry or oily than it was before pregnancy. This is probably due to the hormonal upheaval you’ve just been through.
    ———————————————————————————————–

Jedt
    Keymaster

Happened me at 4 months too…I lost a few chunks around my forehead and it grew back a bit fluffy, which was kind of embarrassing until I started using some of my hubby’s hair gel to tame it and then I looked semi-normal again 😆 😆 😆

It should grow back in no time at all, don’t worry!….the joys of motherhood eh???

julymam

I was the same a couple of months after I had my ds and it lasted 2 or 3 mths, thought i’d have no hair left !
    My dd is 3mths old now and i’ve noticed in the last wk or so its happening again, loads of my hair falling out when i brush it, wash it or jst run my fingers through it lol totally normal, the things we women have to go through LOL

mc2010

thanks ladies,,
    I don;t feel so freaked out now glad it has happend to others and it sorts itself it!phew am so relieved!

Maria30

Happened me too.

Dh use to give out about all the hair all over the house. Even if I ran my fingers through my hair clumps of it use to come out. Happened after my miscarriage too 🙁

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh my god, I’m so sorry! There’s no feeling worse than feeling your hair starts falling off as a woman. You definitely need more supplements in your life.

I used to dread taking showers all the time. Now I don’t mind.

This is my story and some of my best advice which I hope is going to be of much help.

I’m a woman in her 50’s and I didn’t give much thought to my sprouting gray hairs and my hair loss in my 30’s during my first pregnancy because they were virtually undetectable; however, as my patch turned into a streak, I began to question whether or not I should address them although it was the last thing I wanted to do…

Should I color them? Should I stick to natural hairstyles where they’d go unnoticed? I was really on the fence, yet I didn’t feel particularly rushed to conceal my grays…

I’m glad there are finally solutions out there for doing something about it that actually work!

This is a daily hair growth supplement that quite quickly helped me and my bestie to improve our hair and stop our hair loss with a few important but natural ingredients.

It wasn’t until we found it we were able to make our hair stop falling off as fast although it doesn’t stop completely!

I finally feel a lot more confident in my hair!

Wishing you the best of luck in your journey, sis.

Hope my advice was of help to you <3

Debbie

Sabbi
    Participant

Its normal – weird but normal!! happened to me on all my babies. the good thing though is the hair always grew back!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.