Home › Forums › National Chat › giving up coca cola
- This topic has 22 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years, 2 months ago by mammycool.
March 30, 2011 at 9:06 pm #11516nickysinglemumMember
since i became pregnant on with my daughter 4 years ago i have become addicted to coca cola i drink 3 to to 4 cans a day it is ruining my health my teeth and my life. I DO NOT DRINK WATER i havent drank a glass a water since last october all i drink is the brown stuff. so i have decided i am giving it up gonna start drink water and healthy stuff. any advice would be welcome!March 30, 2011 at 9:14 pm #111735amrie1Member
Have to say fair play to you – i’m addicted to diet coke would drink anything between 4 – 8 contour bottles a day (drinking one now) I don’t drink tea/coffee/water either.
I went off it a couple of times but always end up back drinking it again….. When I do manage to stay off it I drink water with juice in it the only way I can drink it.
Good luck in staying off it and if you manage it can you tell me how to do it i’m just short of asking the doctor again…. Mind you when I did ask him he thought I meant the hard stuff!!! until I put him right the fizzy stuff the whole way.
AmrieMarch 30, 2011 at 10:52 pm #111738
Loads of people addicted to coke… the liquid kind!
My dh was always about 17 to 18 stone he ate like an aveage man and always active, he didnt drink too much, but he couldnt get rid of his rugby player build….. until he gave up drinking coke.
He drank the Normal Coke not the diet stuff, didnt give up but swapped to coke zero and lost 3 stone!!!!!!!!! He has never been this small or low in weight in his life, nothing else changed in his diet or exercise routine… its bad for your give it up and reward yourselfMarch 31, 2011 at 6:31 am #111741MoonflowerMember
how about trying the fizzy fruity healthier drinks..like the Ame brand or similar? i havea thing for coke at moment & i really shouldnt but yesterday brought a slighlty sparkling fizzy drink made from fruit juice & sparkling water not the flavored waters..it had more flavor than them & not so sweet…it did trick & i didnt feel like a coke all day..you may struggle on just plain water to start with so perhaps a gradual approach will help??March 31, 2011 at 8:24 am #111747FabienneMember
My sister was addicted to it.
She bought a soda machine maker. The thing is you can make various sodas and also little by little put less soda and dilute it.
She still needs it but now is used to the slightly different taste and doesn’t like the coke brand. So when she doesn’t have her machine (she brings her with her if she goes somewhere for more than 2 days), she drinks something else, sometimes water.
Best of luck, it’s not easy but you’ll succeed.
FabienneMarch 31, 2011 at 8:38 am #111749JedtKeymaster
You can start by diluting it with water, so half coca cola, half water and dwindle it down until you have all water.
I sometimes put a splash of orange or blackcurrant squash in my water, if I feel like something sweet.
Good luck, you’ll be glad in a few weeks time when you are loving drinking water all day long and feeling better!March 31, 2011 at 9:36 am #111753taurusdebsMember
i use to love a can of "fat" coke especially with a chinese, or after a night on the beer it was my "cure" then something happened it just completly turned my stomach , i use to feel so ill with it lying in my stomach, i have no problem i have to say drinking water, ………. with people sometimes its the fizz that they like…….maybe u could try sparkling water if u can tolerate it, have to say tho a drop of orange squash (mi wadi,robinsons) topped up with sparkling water taste just like club orange yum yum 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 all the best xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxMarch 31, 2011 at 10:52 am #111761
I love coke on a picnic, just love coke and a warm cheese sandwich…. bring on the summer 😆 😆 😆
Swap to zero coke or buy sparking water and add a bit of coke to it… im with sabbi with the water and miwadi (or Aldi brand that i use) if you add to sparkling water its lovelyMarch 31, 2011 at 3:37 pm #111777BabsMember
As a past diet coke addict I certainly hear your pain!!! Myself and hubby were going through 4 litres a day (at least!!). I also never drank water as I was always drinking it instead! I said I would give up so many times but never did….to be honest it was a cost thing in the end rather than a health reason that I gave up…after working out how much we spent I realised I could go on a holiday instead!!!! So we bought fizzy water, cordials and green tea etc….and I decided to not buy it for the house but would allow myself to drink it as a treat if out having lunch etc…the first few days were terrible…I had bad headaches and was in a terrible mood. But I persevered and now I honestly don’t miss it. I do have one now and again but I don’t crave it like before….March 31, 2011 at 4:24 pm #111779chell2104Member
im addicted to chocolate!! jus cant stop eating it and its getting worse now as im pregnant!! i feel your pain!! hopefully ill be able to give it up, i jus need to get my mind set on it first, good luck with the coke!!!April 1, 2011 at 11:53 am #111795bubblesueMember
I used to drink way too much coke, until I read that email that went around "coke Vs water" (I’m sure it’s knocking around still) and it explained all kinds of things that the coke concentrate gets used for by those in the know,like truckers clearing axle grease etc. and if you put a steak into a bowl of coke how it disintigrates it! I was never a lover of water but I just made myself get into the habit, I lost weight, felt better overall and even noticed how much better my skin was! I view it like poison now, would never go back to it! Hope you can summon up the willpower to replace with water, even like some of the suggestions it was sparkling with some cordial added!April 1, 2011 at 6:02 pm #111817
My uncle did it with an old 2 pence coin, dropped it into a class of coke and it cleaned it… well so he says.
He loved tricks like this, he also put a slice of white bread into a pint glass of water…. you would never eat white bread again when you see how it swells up!!!April 1, 2011 at 8:14 pm #111828nickysinglemumMember
thanks for the advice ladys. i seen it swell up in my daughters school bag she left her water bottle open it went everywhere i was holding the bag infront of my walking home so i didnt notice and it looked like i wet myself 😳 😆 .April 4, 2011 at 11:47 am #111904bubblesueMember
I found the old email with the water vs coke details, here goes!
Water or Coke
This! Is really an eye opener…. Water or Coke? We all know that water is important but I’ve never seen it written down like this before.
1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated
2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.
3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 3%.
4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.
5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.
6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.
7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzz short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.
8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, andone is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer
And now for the properties of COKE:
1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after acar accident.
2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke and it will be gone in two days.
3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous China.
4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrapaluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.
5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.
6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.
8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains.
9. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.
For Your Info:
1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.
2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.
3. The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years! Now the question is, would you like a coke or a glass of water?
This worked for me!April 4, 2011 at 12:08 pm #111905
Wow!!!! I thought my dad and his brother were mad about the 2 pence coin 🙄 🙄
Will have to show this to dh… im typing here while i drink my water (with some miwadi added)
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.