Gestational diabetes

Home Forums Pregnancy, Mums2Be, Birth, New Parents Gestational diabetes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    lyn11

Well I have been flying along with this pregnancy until today. Had to have a glucose tolerance test due to family history of diabetes and lo and behold my first result of the day was 0.1 over what it should be, The other 2 later in the morning were fine. I shouldn’t be surprised as when I had the tests done after our miscarriages my insulin levels were one thing suggested as a possible cause but this was never confirmed, but today still came as a bit of a shock. Any advice from other mums who are going through this or who have had it in the past? The midwife on the phonesaid I should avoid breakfast cereals for the next week until i get to the hospital to discuss it in more detail, but what then can I eat that will set me up for a class of 10 toddlers each morning???

Jedt
    Keymaster

How about scrambled eggs on toast instead? that does not have much sugar and will set you up for a few hours in the mornings.

Just wondering, why do you have to wait so long for your appt? if you are worried maybe go see your GP in the meantime for some advice on what to eat and what to avoid?

try not to worry, this is common in pregnancy and they should be able to help you with diet suggestions at your appt. next week

LouthMam

Sorry to hear that lyn11, the joys eh? Yes eggs and wholewheat toast would be perfect I’d say. Or what about plain porridge that you make up yourself with milk, water and maybe cinnamon? And a cup of tea is fine too.

I’m going for this test myself in a few weeks as my Dad is diabetic so it’ll be interesting to see how that goes. My friend was diagnosed with gestational diabetes earlier in the year and the docs had her terrorised that the baby was going to be massive. Anyway, they induced her at 38 weeks, last month, and out pops lovely little baby boy, 6lbs 13oz.

Let us know how you get on at your next appointment , if you can.
    LM

lyn11

Think I have to wait a week because my results were only 0.1 over what they should be. Mine were 5.1 when they should have been 5, so not out by miles. Midwife said diet control should get it back on track. Was talking to my sister who is a doc and she said to ask them to repeat the test as it was so barely over and only on one out of three results and I have had no sugar in my urine all along. Think I am just disappointed that this could mean induction or a section further along, rather than a natural birth which I would prefer 😥 . Have stocked up on eggs and brown bread for now

ellokittee

Hi Lyn, I developed GD with my last pregnancy. I was considered high risk to develop it anyways (pregnant with twins, over 30, and overweight). I was on insulin unfortunately, as my sugars were too unmanageable to be controlled by diet. Don’t panic about your 5.1 reading, definitely not a dangerous level. A "normal" level is 5 or below before meals and 7 or below an hour after eating. Since your other two tests proved within range, I don’t think there’s any concern on their end. You will probably be closely monitored because of your family history, and the "beauty" of diabetes is it can be controlled for the most part by you. Things I avoided completely…cereals, fruit juices, bread, potatoes, dried fruits. High protein foods are great, lots of eggs, turkey, chicken, etc. I worked closely with a team of midwives, blood doctor, diabetes nurse, and nutritionist to manage my diabetes, and went 39 weeks with twins (6lbs 13 oz and 7lb 3oz), and the only reason I had a section was because one of my boys was breech. So even if you are diagnosed with GD, there’s no reason you can’t go on to have a natural birth! Hope all goes well for you.

ellokittee

oh, and to answer your question about morning meals…i lived on porridge with cinnamon for 4 months. very filling, and didn’t affect my numbers too much, if made with water. Dairy can skyrocket your numbers as well, as lactose is a sugar.

taurusdebs

i was borderline with this, i had the glucose test then every hour blood to be taken for 4 hours, i failed 3 ofthem, this was my 2nd baby, never had it on the 1st baby, i hav 10 years of a gap, they referred me to a dietician, load a crap basically told me not to eat sweet things-i dont usually anyway… im a size 10, i was getting kidney infections for the last 6 weeks, dont drink orange juice…….. i did end up having a 10lb baby:)

lyn11

History of big babies in my family so think I am predisposed to this with diabetes or not 😀 Does anyone know if Lactose free milk is suitable to use for someone with GD? I dont drink tea or coffee but I was drinking some milk before bed to stop heartburn??? (I am on aspirin so cant take antacids)

Yvonne

Hey there, I had gestational diabetes both times… and the only thing that worked in the mornings to keep my sugar levels down was porridge, used to hate the stuff but I had to like it!

Also, if you can get a bit of exercise in after you eat it will help keep your levels down too.. (but not too much as you could go too low!)

You were only slightly over the level so you should have no problem being able to control it with diet along, mine was up at 9 and I could, but best of luck with it!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.