Gas & Electricity Bills

Home Forums National Chat Gas & Electricity Bills

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    sweetpea1979

I’m just wondering what the average bill would be out there for Gas/Electricity? I know our bills are generally higher from Oct through to roundabout now, but just wondering what the norm is?

mammycool
    Participant

Hi there,

My ESB jumped to around 170 just before Christmas(using the dryer too much!!!) – usually around 130ish in the winter.

I don’t know about gas.

munchin
    Participant

on average i pay 65 per month for Gas and 90 per month for electricity – would be interested alright to see what others are paying i’m sure i could get electricity down if my kids and hubby would stop leaving lights on all the time

sweetpea1979

Munchin that is a very good amount to be paying in all fairness as mine is working out double per month! I wonder if it’s because I’m at home with one child during the day, every day? I wonder would it be less if I wasn’t home at all during the day? Just interested to know…we seem to be on the lowest rate around in comparison to the other providers, it just doesn’t seem to make sense 🙁

chewieodie
    Participant

Munchin….. your bills seem to be about the same as ours…. very much around that region….

sweetpea1979

may i ask who your with munchin and chewieodie? I just can’t understand it as we don’t use a dryer, only the dishwasher maybe once a day, the oven the same and so on…

chewieodie
    Participant

We are with Airtricity for Elec and have just changed to Flogas for Gas.

Taylor5

My Gas from the 6th of dec to the 16 of feb was 160e and my electricty for the same dates was 170e, i use my dryer all the time winter and summer, my dryer would be going about 10 times a week.
    Im at home with the kids and there is always something on, tv’s games consoles etc.
    Im with Airtricity but im planning to move my gas to flogas and stay with Airtricity for my electric, have a look at bonkers.ie to compare prices. I got a monitor from Airtricity, its great i can really monitor where im using power,I dont leave anything on standby anymore, its all powered off at the sockets. we now turn off lights in rooms not in use etc

blonde

In november of last year we got the pay as you go meter for the gas we top up €15.00 a week ! we use our heating every day as our boiler is broken 😕 some weeks we wudnt even use the full credit! then in january we got the meter in for the electric and that cost us around 17 a week i use my diswasher/washing machine everyday and some days i use the dryer also! i just wish these meters were available years ago , i find it brilliant that i dont have big bills coming in evey month & i do find it cheaper! 😀

sweetpea1979

Thanks everyone, we have both gas and electricity with airtricity! as previously said i think we have the lowest rate in comparison to others out there…also we have the boiler on all the time because if we put onto timer it doesn’t always fire up 😥 I also have the monitor from Airtricity, must figure out exactly how to work it…we switch off all lights that aren’t needed and same with the stand by appliances…a bit annoying still have slightly higher bills 👿 anyhow, thanks again for the replies…

munchin
    Participant

i’m with bord gais for both
    I should say that in the cold months we have the fire going every day so while the heating isn’t on all day there is the added cost of coal during say Nov-Feb.
    I’d love to get one of those monitiors my hubby is terrible for leaving lights on 🙄

munchin
    Participant

oh and hubby is at home with the 2 girls so someone in house all the time.
    My mothers bills are cheaper BUT they both work fulltime and there is only the 2 of them in the house

chewieodie
    Participant

Yep, we’ve also got a coal fire, and we use that to heat the house more than actually turning on the heating…. 🙂

Taylor5

yeah i would have a stove, that heats the house rather then the heating… but saying that christmas 3 years ago my Gas bill for dec/jan was 450e, i just paid it as i knew we used alot of gas, if i got a bill like that now i would faint! 😆 😆 😆

Anonymous
    Inactive

SWEETPEE, would you not think of getting your boiler checked, when did you get it last serviced, if they did it within the year and its not working, get them back. It does need a service every year you know. What boiler do you have? some are better than others. We have a potterton which is one of the better ones, well known less problems with it, and then we had fitted individual temp controls on every radiator. But it also depends on how well the system was fitted to the boiler, do you know the plumbers if its an individual house? Get in touch with them maybe??
    But we then got a gorgeous stove …you should forget about using the heating and get a solid fuel stove, they are great…. hate the feeling of central heating myself….there is nothing nicer than sitting down at night, glass of wine in hand in front of a roaring proper fire. Bliss 8)
    I know some people that have been using their gas fires and I’m sure that that is more expensive than the heating being on. Plus if you have an open fire place someone told me that half of your heating is going straight up the chimney that you’re not even using, its a great big vent thats all!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.