free to air tv v’s sky

Home Forums Movies, TV, Books & Entertainment free to air tv v’s sky

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    scole1

ok i know there is no comparrison to sky tv, and especially sky plus…i love it…but seriously fed up paying so much for bloody tv…

i’ve reduced our package right down…it’s not that can’t afford it, i’m just thinking what pay nearly 1000e – 1200e a year plus 160e for licence for just tv it’s crazy……

but wondering if anyone has free to air tv and what they think of that also, what channels do you get…..

Financial Companion
    Participant

I know a couple of people that have got it lately, Scole, they can pause and record programmes as well, but they don’t have all of the channels and they don’t have the terrestrial channels (but will have when rte and such go digital) but they are happy enough. I think it depends onwhat you watch and whether you would miss your favourite programmes!

Taylor5

scole you have free to air on your sky box, if you ring sky and cancell you will still have 200 chanels in for free… if you dont like it you can go back to the basic package
    So you dont need to invest in buying another box or etc

Fabienne

If you cancel sky you’ll have to free to air TV but you’ll need terestrial for irsih channels.
    You can always look at it online.
    If you can connect your laptop to the tv, you have access to rete-player and equivalent for some channels, plus wacht it when you want.

We spent few months with no tv at all. Went back to sky with basic pack (kids + entertainement) for 25/month (no multiroom, no HD no nothing, so 300/year + licence.
    Have to stay with them for a year, but I think I’ll cancel it again.

I enjoyed few month with no tv, just online for news and one or 2 tv series, but we did not get to plug laptop to TV, old TV or dh did not try hard to find a way to do it, and I did not either 😳

Took it again too soon. If you cancel for a while over 9 month, if you’re patient they’ll offer you 1 YEAR half price!

I have tv on a lot, and no need, but when it’s there.
    Just need good dvd’s for kids, espescially in the winter.
    Fabienne

scole1

never thought i would free to air if cancelled sky thought they’d do a block or something to satelite…and the other thing don’t fancy an aerial….

reduced it right down to basic, keeping kids channels on of course or we’d go potty…we have loads of movies on dvd we can make up for the movies, but i think dh will be taking time out to pub for the matches….any excuse

scole1

never thought i would free to air if cancelled sky thought they’d do a block or something to satelite…and the other thing don’t fancy an aerial….

reduced it right down to basic, keeping kids channels on of course or we’d go potty…we have loads of movies on dvd we can make up for the movies, but i think dh will be taking time out to pub for the matches….any excuse

Fabienne

If you reduce to basic no sport so pub night for matches! no necessary a bad thing sometimes 😆 😆

The free to air kids channel are (with sky box but no monthly fee)
    the tiny… (pop, girl… +1) and BBC channels

but no RTE and no recording, and what was recorded you can’t watch it anymore.

If you want to do it and as you said you still can affrod it. I would do it when weather improves, so kids don’t miss tv that much and soon they’ll get used to not having it. dh will as quickly as the kids get used to no tv and time out with friends in a pub (my dh would enjoy going out to see games, but doesn’t do it, because friends have sky sport, and they don’t go to pubs then and he doesn’t go by himself). Talking about rugby ther is no other sport 😆

Fabienne

Taylor5

Can you get upc up here? you know the broadband, phone and tv offer on the tv

libby1
    Participant

Hi Taylor

I was speaking to some family who have UPC – advised to stay away as the covhey also average is pretty bad and can be very shaky at time – The also advertiste good broadband coverage – but my bil told me its awful

I was considering changing from Sky – i just have basic package – And 9/10 there is never anything on – That we are both happy to watch…

Waffy1

I’m still very behind the times have Sky but no sky +box and am on basic package. Would love Sky+ but every time I ring about it I can’t justify spending €150 to get a new box!!! Any way to get one cheaper???

Taylor5

i got my box free…. most places do free boxes will try root out their number, found this in golden pages think this might be the crowd i got (01) 690 5015

beams

We have free to air through our sky boxes …..you still have the benefit of sky set up ie. browsing etc…and everything looks the same although you cant access any sky channels (sky1, sky2, living, etc. etc.) but we do have loads of channels and have rte etc. (i dont have an aerial so not sure how that works !!) I really objected to paying for tv – this set up is fine – have replaced programmes i used to watch with new ones !!! Get the guys in the kiosk on the bridge to sort it out 😀

Fabienne

To get free box, the only way is
    cancel your sky, then same day or day after or a bit longer sign on for it under your husband name, same adress.
    If you call and ask for the box you have to pay, but free for new customers, just installation fee of under 50 euro.
    You can even if you want ask because of installation fee of a brand new connection, and keep the old satelite dish and box to reset it to a different free satelite and get differents international channels (look online, for satelite position or something (not good at it myself)).

Plus you can also get it under a different name and do it trhough a friend as recommend a friend and you’ll get 2 months half price (pays for the installation fee), and your friend get a cheque of 50 euro or something.

Few phone calls, might not even get sky interrupted (or for a little while) and save money and friend gets money too (you’ll give them a lot with monthly fee anyway).

Fabienne

Waffy1

Just rang Sky told them I wanted to cancel. He asked me why & I said I just do! was offered free sky + box to stay! He fed me the usual bull that I was entitled to a free upgrade for the last year which is total bull**** I tried to get one about 6 months ago & they were charging me €150. Anyway happy days!!!!! Am getting it on feb 11th, delighted now!!! 😀 😀

Taylor5

Just rang Sky told them I wanted to cancel. He asked me why & I said I just do! was offered free sky + box to stay! He fed me the usual bull that I was entitled to a free upgrade for the last year which is total bull**** I tried to get one about 6 months ago & they were charging me €150. Anyway happy days!!!!! Am getting it on feb 11th, delighted now!!! 😀 😀

yippeee! They must think im a right scab i ring every 6 months and tell them im leaving toget latest offer, terrible that you have to do this but, i do, i have no shame when it comes to saving money 🙄

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.