Fostering

Home Forums Louth Chat Fostering

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    sunshineorla

Myself and DH were thinking about fostering. Does anybody know the process you have to go through? How long does it take? We were thinking we’d prefer kids under 10 as we dont want to be dealing with the whole hormonal thing, can you specify what ages you’d prefer?
    I have to talk to the rest of family to make sure they are ok with it first. What would be the best way to approach a teenage girl in relation to this? She kind of likes her routine, so I’m hoping she’d be ok with it.
    Any advic ewould be great,
    Thanks.

scole1

check out fostering ireland or see if there are any fostering forums and you’ll get to ask questions to parents who are fostering now….

this is something i too would like to do but not right now not the right time….you have to have a lot of strength to deal with kids that may have ahad bad experiences and also having to see them go….but you i think would be well able for that…

as regards approaching subject with teenager i’m sure if you planted the seed and let her think about it she may come round, she might surprise you…

best of luck….

Taylor5

I was asked a few time if I would foster in the past, but dh wasnt up for it. The process can take weeks, they do checks into your background and they will contact people who know you for references (ie, relations, boss etc…)

There is a massive shortage for kids over 12, dont think you can foster an over 12 with a child or baby in the house, think there is something about saftey for younger kids as most of the teenagers would have problems……. you get paid 300 euro per week (tax free) well its tax free as its not directly for you the 300 euro is to provide for all the childs needs…….. I know a woman who fostered 50 kids over the years, it was her 70th birthday and most of the kids came back for the party, she was thrilled, she died a few weeks later… but since meeting all her old kids she was sooo happy
    I think if you can do it, then go for it as there are kids in care homes all over the country

Jedt
    Keymaster

Hi SunshineOrla,

A neighbour of mine fosters kids. I can ask her if she would have a chat with you? let me know if you’d like that and I’ll PM her details – she’ll be able to fill you in on the whole process etc.

sunshineorla

Yes, that would be good. Thanks.

Taylor5

Sabbi I know you neighbour fosters but she would be in Meath… Sunshine would be Louth and they are totally differeny meath more strict!

libby1
    Participant

I work with Adults with Learning Disability, they are always looking for Parents to foster Adults if anyone is interested…..

Babs

We looked into it a few years ago…just give your local health centre a ring and they will organise a meeting with a social worker…we met with one in Ballsgrove and she told us all we needed to know…she supplied us with loads of info and a form to complete….if you then decide to apply they will send you on an intensive "training" course…the waiting time just depends on how long it takes to match your family with a specific child (there are so many children waiting to be placed)….good luck…to give a child a loving home is the best gift you can give.

sunshineorla

Thanks for that. I put in a phone call to HSE in Dundalk and waiting for a reply. You would think they would be more speedy about calling you back wouldnt they? See what happens from here.

Moonflower

We have approached the HSe several times and we were told a fewyears back during a social worker visit as we were actively trying fertility treatment we were unable to foster until we had stopped fertility treatment and until our own child if we were lucky to have one was at least 2 yrs old. so last year after deciding to no longer actively try any more fertility treatment and our Ds now being 3, and never forgettin what we were told 5 yrs ago we approached them again and were told they prefer for your own children to be at least 10 years old??? 🙁

we left our contact details for a call should it be at all possible and have heard no more…so felt very rejected…..

Babs

Thats appalling! We were also told that any children in the host family should be over 3 and that you shouldn’t be actively trying for anymore…but to say that children should be 10!!!! I would take it further with the HSE as there are so many children waiting to be placed in loving homes, that sounds more like a "policy" made up by that department or team rather than the HSE as a whole!!!

Taylor5

Yeah I was asked a few years ago and only a few months ago was talking to the same phn, she was telling me that its over 12’s…. think they have alot of older children with problems and it wouldnt be suitable to be housed in a home with younger kids…. also the emotion of kids coming and going in a household…… Give them 6 months and they will move the goalposts again.

Moonflower great to see you back on, I wouldnt let it go… give them another call, if not for you but so no other family get the brush off like that

sunshineorla

Jesus I’m shocked. What the hell is going on with them? You would think they would be trying to encourage people to foster. I bet you we wont be suitable, what with the little man only being 16 months. Still no phonecall from them by the way. Might ring again today. Let you know if I hear anything.

Moonflower

well maybe try ringing again….they are probably very busy…but it does make you wonder….perhaps each individual case is different and they may make acceptions to rule of how old yr own children need to be….

sunshineorla

My auntie says that they have to give you a valid reason for not accepting you as a foster parent. You can get a solicitor who deals with this type of thing to send letters to the foster care approvals board on appeal. She says that there are a few working in the area who can be kind of bullying but you have to stand up for yourself and dont take what they say as gospel if you feel they are in the wrong!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.