Formula until age of 3??!!

Home Forums Newborns, Babies, Toddlers, Kids, Teens! Formula until age of 3??!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Daisy37

Saw an advert on TV for growing up milk from one of the formula baby manufacturers – and they recommend it for toddlers up until the age of 3!

Does anyone give their toddler this growing up milk or a kind of formula until that age?

I stopped giving mine bottles and cups with formula drinks when they were between 12 – 18 months.

is this a scam to get us to buy more baby stuff than we really need?

Taylor5

my ds1 was about 2.5 when he stopped his night time boppy… ds1 LOVES his "hot boppy" he wont drink warm cows milk but will drink glasses and glasses of "cold mink"
    Ds2 is on Cow & Gate follow on for 2+, i will give this until the spring then stop…..

munchin
    Participant

my dd2 just gave her bobi up at the weekend 😥 she’s 17months, she’s been on a morning & night bottle of cow’s milk since she turned 1, with milk & water throughout the day but she’s been fighting her sister for her beaker so went for it at the weekend.
    DD1was on cow’s milk between 12-18months aswell but was def 18months before the bobi went totally.

All depends on the child, what i was told by phn was if child has a well balanced diet there really is no need for Growing Milk and child if possible should go onto cows milk around 1yr BUT not every child likes cow’s milk & not every child will eat the veg etc required to give them a balanced diet so at the end of the day it all depends on the child i would think.

hjs

If child can take it, cow’s milk form 1st birthday onwards – ridiculous of manufactureres to say kids need growing up milk, I think correct, another ploy to give u a solution to a prob u never knew u had ( and thats cos we didint have 1!)

Balanced diet = apt development in a v general way, which mother and health professionals can c.

Taylor5

i would give cows milk but he wont drink it…. just says yucky!!! loves cold milk but not cows milk when warm..
    He loves his bottle and wont be having one when he is 18 so im not going to worry…. whatever makes my little boy happy

hjs

No, no bottles here after 12-18 months, gave them up independently. When I realised they weren’t int in it, the thought WTP?

Bottles bottles bottles bottles, can’t be doing with made-up words in this house!!!!!

super minder

daniel has cows milk hes 10 months and eats a great mixed diet of all sorts of food.

what ever works for you do. mammys usally know the best thing for there little one sxx

mammycool
    Participant

Hi there,

I was told the same from the phn – if they have a balance diet then they will not need follow on milk. Also, if they do not like milk and you are still giving formula – then give the first one ie. gold. The follow on milk fills up their little tums and reduces their appetite.

Taylor5

Mammy cool i didnt know that… my ds has 1 maybe 2 bottles a day one at nap and one at bed time.
    He NEVER stops eating, he would eat rings around himself, always hungry… he drinks glass after glass of milk, all i hear is "mammy more mink peeze" if he wants it he can have it, what harm can milk do to a child?

MaryE

Dont shoot me now but my 3 year old still has a bottle going to bed but its mostly water with a little milk!!! He just loves his bottle.

I think you are right, once they are eating well they dont need formula.

Sure every child is different,

Taylor5

Dont shoot me now but my 3 year old still has a bottle going to bed but its mostly water with a little milk!!! He just loves his bottle.

I think you are right, once they are eating well they dont need formula.

Sure every child is different,

Why would someone shoot you? its no ones business what your child does, i dont care if my ds is still on formula at 2, its my money, my child can my choice 😉 😆 😆 😆

i know kids are 5 with soothers or still in nappies at 3 and 4 years old, what works for one wont work for another

munchin
    Participant

lol taylor that was the point i tried to make IT ALL DEPENDS ON CHILD etc

i totally believe no one way is right or wrong and what works for one won’t nec work for another – i had perfect sleeper in dd1, dd2 still wakes at night 🙄 even though i’ve tried most of the tricks etc

i do believe the follow on milk is a gimic mainly because someone told me that these companies are not allowed to advertise formula, but as follow on milk is not intended for newborns etc they are allowed advertise it (could be wrong about this i never looked into it) and then the phn told me about diets etc so i just never bothered BUT I was lucky in that both girls like cows milk – if they didn’t gimic or no gimic i’d be using the follow on.

munchin
    Participant

lol taylor that was the point i tried to make IT ALL DEPENDS ON CHILD etc

i totally believe no one way is right or wrong and what works for one won’t nec work for another – i had perfect sleeper in dd1, dd2 still wakes at night 🙄 even though i’ve tried most of the tricks etc

i do believe the follow on milk is a gimic mainly because someone told me that these companies are not allowed to advertise formula, but as follow on milk is not intended for newborns etc they are allowed advertise it (could be wrong about this i never looked into it) and then the phn told me about diets etc so i just never bothered BUT I was lucky in that both girls like cows milk – if they didn’t gimic or no gimic i’d be using the follow on.

pookie2

Agree with most of what’s been said already.

1. General advice from public health nurse / doc etc is cow’s milk from 12 months (unless some significant health issue contraindicates it). The idea of formula milk until 3 is a complete scam, especially when you consider that all formula is made from cow’s milk in the first place!!

It’s like those ads that claim your child would need to drink a tank-load of cow’s milk to get enough iron, "but just one of our little bottles will solve the problem…" : load of rubbish. There is no problem! Milk is not a major source of iron. A ring of black pudding, or a spoon or two of mince would do the same job. Talk about trying to mislead parents.

2. Too much milk can have two possible negative side effects – reduce the appetite a bit & can cause constipation in some suceptible children. I’ve heard that too much dairy in the diet can worsen ‘mucus’ conditions, so if child prone to sinus or chestiness, maybe watch the amount of milk.

3. With some trepidation, I admit that my eldest fella is nearly four & often has a couple of ozs in a bottle in the morning on the sofa – because he wants what his two year old brother has. It’s not going to kill him & it comforts him if he’s ill. I think BALANCE is the key word here. A little bit of anything is rarely disastrous!

4. There’s a book called "Feed Your Child Well!" written by three Irish pediatricians that has been recommended to me, but I haven’t gotten around to getting it yet….

Mammies – trust your instincts & ignoire the advertisements!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.