First first Communion this weekend!

Home Forums Weddings, Christenings, Communions, Confirmations etc First first Communion this weekend!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    munchin
    Participant

Well weather wasn’t too bad either day
    Hope the days went well for both Sabbi & Yvonne
    Yvonne saw the photos on FB – dd looks fab simply elegant!
    Congrats to both of them

Jedt
    Keymaster

We had a fantastic day. The ceremony at the church was lovely, the priest said the mass in Irish and it was so nice, the kids were all involved and were so adorable.

Then we went back to the school and they had tables laid out with sandwiches, cakes and tea & coffee. Thanks to Rose, Jo, Nicola and all the girls who were working at the school – they did a brilliant job and it was lovely for the grandparents who were coming to the school for the first time.

Then we came back here and we had gotten our food from relish, so all we had to do was pop itin the oven in the trays they provided it in – it was very stress free. Usually when my husband and I are doing the food we get stressed and thats normally when we have an argument but we got through the day with no arguments! Its the first time I bought food in for an event and it was well worth it, it took so much stress away from us.

When the food was heated, we laid the trays on the table and let everyone serve themselves. It was hassle free….could not believe the difference that made.

The sun was out most of the day but we did have a little rain shower but it cleared up and we spent most of the time in the back garden.

The cake was fab – Trudy cookiemomster made it. It was chocolate biscuit, everyone had some – the kids were mad about it. Its nice to have something they like as they are often not fans of fruitcakes.

We had a few drinks and then everyone headed home about 8pm and we cleaned up and fell onto the couch in exhaustion!!

It was so lovely to be surrounded by family & friends to celebrate the special day and we are delighted it went so well.

Still knackered today though!!

Hope it went well for you Yvonne – few showers yesterday, hope you got home before gettting wet!

munchin
    Participant

ah Sabbi sounds like a fab day – saw your photos on FB since i posted earlier – your DS looks fab – so happy – lots of smiling faces
    Gald you enjyoed your day

happymumblemum
    Participant

Sabbi would love to see a few photos but not on f/b could you mail me some ..and you Yvonne too !!!

Yvonne

Hi there,
    Glad your day went well Sabbi! The pics were great!

We had a lovely day! The weather was good until about 4pm and was a bit breezy…

DD looked great as did the whole class! Our service was lovely, we only had 14 making it so it was very personal…

HMM, will email you some now!

happymumblemum
    Participant

Lovely photos Yvonne!

Well ours has been and gone..what a fab day, dd looked so lovely I couldnt stop looking at her!

Me and my neighbour did her hair together and it was so much fun getting ready!

Mass was nice , but very busy however they all looked fab!

Back at mine all day till 2 am i did loads offood..fecking amazing it was if i say so myself!!!
    Still recovering though..will link soem pics soon xx

Jedt
    Keymaster

So glad all went well for everyone!! Hmm, Pm me your email and I’ll send you some pics if you like….

munchin
    Participant

ah hmm glad it all went well for you – you have my email yeah would love to see some photos
    I’m off to my best friends daughter’s on Sat – dying to see her and am chuffed to be there on her special day

Yvonne

Oh glad it went so well HMM!! Can’t wait to see some pics… hard to believe they are growing up so fast…

Taylor5

We had my nephews on the 19th…. so it was at the house and sport for most of the day! All went well until the next day and my car broke down on the way home (just left it into the garage the day before for a new timing belt and water pump, the water pump started leaking) So stranded in Dublin with 2 kids, got home the next day with the help of a hire car

Then last saturday i had my nieces communion, her 750e dress was stunning and worth every penny, she is a very slight child and it put meat on her bones….. her cake was a barbie dolls dress that cost 200e!!!!! We had a brilliant day in an amazing venue, the Courtyard Hotel in Lexilip Co Kildare.

Thank God i dont have girls, it will be hang sandwiches back at mine in two years time 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Jedt
    Keymaster

I am glad you had a great day and that the little one looked lovely but have to say I do not think anyone should spend 750 for a dress for a child, thats crazy money. What will she be like when it comes to her debs and wedding? she’ll be expecting to spend thousands!!

I saw some fab dresses in M&S and Debenhams that had underskirts and would buff up a slight child and theywere around 100 euros. cannot get my head around spending that on a dress – what are they going to do with the dress? will she ever wear it again or will some other child wear it? so lavish for a dress for one day – my wedding dress only cost 750 euro!!

As for the cake, 200 is very steep – Cookiemomster made us a stunning cake for a just over a third of that price and it had chocolate biscuit filling and was beautiful to look at and gorgeous to eat too. and we had loads left over so everyone got to take some home – they are still talking about the cake, it was gorgeous!

Communions are an expensive event but do not have to be that lavish & expensive!!

Yvonne

Have to agree Sabbi… some people do spend crazy money and I know its their choice, but personally I cannot justify it.

We got our cake from Coulter and Black for €35 and it was gorgeous!
    DD’s wasn’t very expensive and it suited her perfectly!

munchin
    Participant

me too i’m afraid – i know Taylor you said before that they have the money to spend etc but still i couldn’t justify 750 on a childs dress for one afternoon and as for 200 on cake wow BUT each to their own

I was at my best friends daughters communion and to be honest money is very tight and yet everything was perfect cake, was made by her sister, my friend wore a dress she had for a work do but family hadn’t seen, her daugter’s dress was actually a cousins BUT it had been altered by her nana and it didn’t look like the same dress – simple food and simple decorations and it was a totally fab day and the communion girl was the belle of the ball – she’s a real tom boy but looked totally stunning in her dress etc -i suppose my point is that there doesn’t have to be a huge amount of money spent!
    Yvonne we used coulter and black for dd2’s christening(didn’t know about them for dd1’s 😉 ) and i would def be thinking of using them come the girls communion time…….them or cookiemonster

Taylor5

I know!! I was stunned, i showed cookies monster a photo of the cake at the school, she said that she would have charged about 30e less for a cake like that. its on my facebook page.
    We did try on 120e dresses on her but she is soooo skinny and pale, they washed her out, the dress is stunning and it was perfect for her on the day, it didnt look ott or that is cost that amount…. that was the total cost of little jacket, gloves, shoes, bag, head dress etc.

On the flip side, My nephew made his the week before, the party was at the house as the Leinster match was on. They had a bouncy castle and i make some of the food to help my sister, the cake was 20 odd euro Chocolate cake from Superquinn, thats what my nephew asked for as its his favourite cake. His suit was a hand me down from his brother, he had different shirt and you wouldnt think it was the same suit. He got a new Canterbury tracksuit and he was in his tracksuit and Leinster jersey before most people arrived… it was done on a budget as my sister and her husband are struggling to keep their business afloat, but it was one of the best days i have had in a long time! It does go to show you dont have to spend money to have a good time

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.