Fire escapes & kids

Home Forums National Chat Fire escapes & kids

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m a bit obsessive about fire & fire escapes – but it has taken me a few months to get around to tackling it in our new house. It is a dormer and there are four bedroom upstairs.

I was doing a bit of research on my options & came across a website called ladders.ie. One of the products they sell is a rope ladder that comes in a box that is attached to the wall under the window (on the inside). Basically when you fling it out the window the weight causes it to self-deploy & kids from 6 or 7 up can use it in an emergency. He quoted me about E150 per ladder for my house (varies a little depending on height etc) when I rang him just beofre 9pm on a Monday night. Was terribly pleasant & even told me that ‘two would be plenty & that four would probably be overkill’ (ie didn’t try & fleece me).

Have a bit more research to do – but even in dodgy economic times, it might be an investment that those of us with small children should consider making….

PS Have absolutely nothing to do with the website – just thought this might be useful / helpful…

Jedt
    Keymaster

I have met the guy with the inflated ladders, he is so sweet. We were on TV3 together and he was so lovely, he seems like a genuine guy alright. It looks like a good idea too.

We have a fire escape route planned out of our house incase of a fire. We have keys left in a spot near the door and keep the hallway clear every night.

But if we were blocked in upstairs, would be good to have the ladder too. Its something I meant to look into myself – must follow up on it.

You’ve given the kick up the backside I needed pookie, thanks!

pookie2

And just after I posted here I turned on the telly to see that fire disaster in Brasil – was just like the Stardust. The news coverage of that Irish tragedy is one of the earliest memories I have of television…. The more I think about it, the more sure I am that I need an escape route from upstairs – apart from the stairs. I’d have no hope of getting four kids from 6 down out otherwise….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.