Fifty shades of grey – anyone read it???

Home Forums Movies, TV, Books & Entertainment Fifty shades of grey – anyone read it???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

There is so much talk about this book at the moment, I think I might pick it up, there has to be something to it if so many women are raving about it.

Has anyone read it? Would you be embarrassed to be seen reading it?

I am not bothered at all if anyone sees me reading it – us gals need a little spicy reading every now and then!! :wink:

munchin
    Participant

i haven’t read it have a pile of books to wade through but one friend of mine is on the 2nd books – says they’re ok but she’s only reading as she’s nothing else (her words not mine) and another friend of mine gave up half way through book one – says it’s a load of drivel and must be written by a horny 16yr old 😆 😆 😆

Bookwitch

Hi Girls I haven’t read this series but there would NO shame at all in reading it, it is lighthearted and entertaining and yes it is full of sex but so what we’re grown ups. I think the taboo on erotica for women has been lifted somewhat as these books have been selling like you wouldn’t believe. Some of you may know I work for Waterstones and the shades series have been our best selling titles for the last few weeks.

Waffy1

I’ve read it… 50 shades of shite!!! Very poor story line, just all sex! Depends what kind of read you’re into. Prefer something a little more gripping. Won’t be buying the next 2…

Anonymous
    Inactive

The writting is very poor,kindoff dodgy mills & boon.i reckon that it will come out that the author is under a fake name & it is a few different writers,as it is very rare for there to be a trilogy all published at the same time.Even if the authorhad gotten a 3 book deal they usually all come out with at least a 6 months to one year gap between each one.

libby1
    Participant

Hi
    I read the three books, i brought them on digital,
    I found the books to be good , nothing to be a shamed off , there is a lot of different views on the books, i should really get my husband to read it.

I thought it was an interested read….

Jedt
    Keymaster

I am not very impressed I must say. I am over a third the way into the first b book and the grammer, use of language and general cheesiness is quite annoying. I have just read ‘the contract’ and some of it is pretty vile. I don’t like the whole submissive/dominant idea at all. Maybe thats just me but it does nothing for me at all.

Also, it really bothers me how every other parapragh is littered with ‘Oh my’s’ and ‘wow’s’ – who talks like that??

Its so cheesy but I think I need to keep reading to try and understand what all the fuss is about because so far, I just don’t get it. ❓ ❓

munchin
    Participant

haileysmam there was an interview with the author in paper there about a week ago – she wrote them as a kinda blog – losely based on the main characters from Twilight series and it just took off and was compiled into 3 books – she’s kinda amazed at how they’ve taken off – read this weekend that the film rights have been bought for the movie

I haven’t read them but have heard mixed reviews mainly that it’s poor mills & blooms, that there is an awful lot of repition in the books and best comment was "written by a horny 16yr old". i’m not going to buy them but my friend has them and i’m on the list so if i ever get them i’ll post again 😉

Sabbi – apart from one friend of mine – the rest who have either read or tried to read it have said pretty much same as you

Waffy1

this is very funny!!! very apt descriptions!!!
    http://beaut.ie/blog/2012/irish-shades- … ocked-cap/

misemammy3

I have read the 1st two books and am half way through the 3rd. I absolutely love them. I know there is a lot of sex in it but nothing you havent seen or heard off before.

If you look past all the sex there is a love story there. You need to stick with them and have an open mind.

They really are very good and anyway EL James is laughing all the way to the bank due to our curiousness!!!

😈 (my idea of a HORNY Devil – aka Mr Grey!!!!!)

Yvonne

I’m just about to start the 3rd book and love them!

Yes there is alot of sex in there!! But so what!
    There is a love story there which had me. Don’t see the shame in reading them either!

The movie should be interesting though! 😀

MaryE

On the second book, cant say im blown away by them, bored by the sex & the storyline is poor. People keep telling me they fall in love with the charactors but i just cant warm to them, Grey is far too controlling for my liking & Ana is pathetic, she makes me cringe. Dont want to give the little story that there is away but at least the 2nd book got a little exciting when they were under threat from an ex but now its dull again. Saying that i will probably read the three books but i certainly wouldnt call them unputdownable.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Im giving the first one another go, had stopped after reading the ‘contract’ because I really did not like that… but have to admit, I am curious as to why so many people love them. There has to be something to it – will see how I get on!

MaryE

Yeah, i didnt like the contract one bit either. I kept thinking of my daughter & some creepy prevert but as a friend of mine said to be "Take your mammy head off when you are reading this book:? "

munchin
    Participant

we introduced my mother to the Irish Shades of grey the other day 😆 😆 . Myself, my mam and my 2 sisters are all avid readers and only one of us has read 50 shades – my sis said if you read as much as we do you’ve probably come accross most of what’s in the book – except where they might my one sexy bit in a book or every couple of chapters in 50shades it’s every 20 pages – she’s not bothering with the other 2 books. So far i’ve yet to speak to anyone who’s read it who’s made me want to go buy the books altough i am curious to see what all the fuss is about 😆 😆 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.