Family Traditions

Home Forums National Chat Family Traditions

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi

Just wondering my brother rip died at Easter and my Dad has told us not to send Christmas Cards this year as its tradition..

My dh has never heard of this and we asked Grandma from Dublin too and she never heard of it either…???

What do people think???

munchin
    Participant

I’ve heard this alright – it’s an old tradition that in the first year of mourning no cards are sent. My friends mother insisted on this the first year her husband died and again this year as her brother died a few weeks ago. I think at the end of the day it’s up to the family

Taylor5

Im from Dublin and yes its very normal not to send Christmas Cards if there was a death in the Family that year, i think it goes Way back to the day when the widow mourned the loss for a full year, they would wear black for the full year too….. and of course you would have 1 Christmas in that time, so hence no cards! 💡

Why not start a new tradition in honor of your brother, we have one that on christmas eve the youngest child lights the first light of the evening in the house, it as always a red candel in the front window, it was for all the missing family members…… my sisters and i still do it with our kids

munchin
    Participant

thats a lovely idea Taylor might just do that myself this year.

happymumblemum
    Participant

We do the lighting of the candle in the window too..but not really for rememberance just for the whole religion thing instead.

Re the cards thing no I didn’t send any last year…but we did celebrate Xmas thouroughly in other ways

MaryE

Yeah my mothers family take the not sending Christmas cards to a different level they dont send them if anyone in the extended family dies, so we dont get too many cards from them!!

Taylor5

Yeah my mothers family take the not sending Christmas cards to a different level they dont send them if anyone in the extended family dies, so we dont get too many cards from them!!
    😆 😆 😆 😆

Jedt
    Keymaster

This is a very strong tradition for people from Dublin. When my granddad died, my nanny and all her children did not send Christmas cards. They can receive them but not send them.

lyn11

We would also not send cards for 1 year if there was a death in the family. Ok to receive but not to send.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.