Family Holiday in Ireland – any suggestions?

Home Forums National Chat Family Holiday in Ireland – any suggestions?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    MaryE

Dh & myself have had a very busy summer working (thats both our busy periods in work) & feel burnt out, plus we want to spend some quality time with ds (2). So last night we agreed to go away somewhere in Ireland in October for at least 3 nights or maybe even a week, if we can afford it.

We were either thinking of renting a house or maybe getting a suite in a hotel (Ds goes to bed at 8pm, so need at least another room that we can sit in).

We would like somewhere scenic (Beach or forest) but also want some facilities nearby for ds like playground, playrooom, swimming pool etc?

I looked up the interent but there was so much didnt know where to start. Need somewhere that is child friendly.

Has anyone any recommendations?

Jedt
    Keymaster

Hiya,

If you’re far away from Meath, try Bettystown Court Hotel. Right beside the beach, easy access to Drogheda, Dublin and of course, Funtasia is right down the road. They are very child friendly too, kids games room, nice pool, cartoon character on certain days too.

We went on a Supervlau break to the Hertitage in Portlaoise last year and it was great. Lovely hotel, lots to do. Had a ball. Also went to Buncody in Wexford last year, stayed at the Carlton, very nice too and very child friendly.

We went to Sligo last week, sadly it was awful. We stayed at the Clari*n – never again. Complained several times but they could not have cared less. Would not recommend that one. Dirty, horrible room, way outside the town. Just awful.

The Springhill is Kilkenny is nice too for a little break – loads to do around Kilkenny area.

When you sign up as a Supervalu customer now, you automatically get 50 free points on your card and thats all you need to book a break. It’s well worth it for 109 pp and usually kids go free (we did not have to pay any upgrades in Kilkenny, Bunclody or Portlaoise but did have to pay 60 upgrade fee in Sligo and it was the only hotel we did not like!!)

Good luck, happy holiday hunting!!

MaryE

Hi there,

Should have said that i live in Drogheda, so bettystown is out.

Ive stayed in that hotel in sligo before & also had a bad experience & sent a letter of complaint. Got a free nites stay & went back and it was actually fine the second time but had a different room altogether & it was mid week, so wasnt as busy.

Thanks for those other suggestions, i will look into them.

Taylor5

My sister was away in Galway last week with her two boys, she is booking it for xmas it was sooo good, the kids club and the kids food etc….
    I could get the name for you if you want

Bookwitch

Castlerosse Hotel in Killarney have self-catering cottages which have full use of hotel facilities: playground, tennis, basketball Kids Club, swimming pool and spa treatments. It is also right beside Killarney National Park. Killarney is a great place to visit with lots for kids and adults to do, indoors and outdoors and it is very beautiful. We stayed there this summer, highly recommend it.

libby1
    Participant

If you got Dunnes Voucher this week – they were advertising for the Maldron Hotels

Last Christmas we stayed in the Maldron – had double room / swimming pool great childrens club..

Whites of wexford is the same

Stayed in Clarion Cork – not child friendly at all

Loads of great offers out there at the moment

Taylor5

We stayed in White in Wexford and ti was lovely.. my sister said its the Clarion in Galway where she stayed with the boys and they loved it

angelmum

stayed incastlerosse in killarney 2 weeks ago.it was wonderful,tennis courts basketball football and a playground,you can also rent bicycles and it also has a golf course with walkways all around it.it overlooks the lakes and is very family friendly with kids club also.also has swimming pool and leisure centre.reataurant is one of the best i have been in.its the best.whites in wexford in right in the centre of town,not very scenic.

beamam

Hi,
    we’re just back from Bundoran and had a great time. We stayed in atlantic aparthotel. It was 180 for the 3 of us for 3 nights and spot on. the apartments have their own pool and playground and babysitters can be organised. I’d definitely recommend it. Although nothing fancy, they have everything you need and are right on the main street. we didn’t use the car all weekend cause everythings so close by.
    Enjoy your break wherever you go!!

Taylor5

That sounds good and you cant go wrong at that price…. we will be looking for a few days away if dh can take time off work, he hasnt even had summer holidays yet!!!! But I cant give out he was on short time at the start of the year now working 24/7

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.