ESB and Bord Gais hikes

Home Forums ASK THE EXPERT Financial Advice & budgeting ideas ESB and Bord Gais hikes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Margo1

do you have any advice for lowering gas and electricity bills now that they have said there are big increases coming. its awful that gas going up 22% and elec 12%. bad timing for lots of families

Taylor5

I know its a bloody joke!!!

Im a fecker for trying to reduce my bills, i would use a lot of gas and electric… i use my dryer winter and summer and im a cold creature so heating on alot, so i look for every other way to cut my bill.

Right this is what i do.
    use energy saving bulbs
    I turn off tv, games, lights when we leave a room. (kid do the same, have to work on dh 🙄 )
    When cooking put lids on pots, water will boil with less energy.
    Cook batches of food together
    Watch the lenght of showers

To help with heating.
    If you have an open fire or gas fire that you dont use, plug chimney with a pillow to cut down drafts.
    Do a review of your windows, do small repairs if needed.
    Draw your curtains in early evening, it stops the cold getting in through glass.
    Turn your room temp down to about 20 degrees and about 16 in the bedrooms
    Set your timers

There are a few other things you can do… (i did hear but dont know if its true but worth checking out) If your house is older then 6 years old, you can get a grant to get cavity wall insulation (grant 320euro) BUT if your getting SW and you get the fuel allowance you can get your house pumped for FREE under the home energy saving scheme http://www.sei.ie. i didnt see anything on their site, but this person told me they got it done free.
    Also if you upgrade your boiler to a new A rated Condencer boiler, you can cut your bills by 30%, you wont see a saving but it cancel out the increases…. A very good boiler Bosch 24kw and heating controls would cost 1300e apr, It would pay for itself in about 3 to 4 years.

if you do both, you can cut your bills by at least 40 to 50% and you have a much more comfy house.

Taylor5

If all else fails…. do what my mam does

Buy candles, a hot water bottle and a snuggy… go to bed early and watch TV, if still cold go to bed early and turn OFF the TV 😉 😆 😆 😆 😆 Just dont let you hubby make you a cuppa or you could end up like HMM 😉 😆 😆 😆 😆

Financial Companion
    Participant

Hi Margo, yeah, news of price increases are never good in this climate! In terms of reducing costs on gas and electric, it’s as basic as all of the things that Taylor mentioned, keeping a closer eye on useage. For most people, there are always plenty of ways to make savings in your overall regular spending. I still see people pick up packs of items in the supermarket, when two half-size packs of the same product is cheaper! It still amazes me the amount of things that people do not review or compare to see if possible to get cheaper. Many are now familiar with shopping around each year for better deals on car or house insurance but I still see so many people that have life or specified illness cover in place that they took out with their bank when getting a mortgage and have never compared the potential premium savings! It’s really just about taking the time to closely examine what is being spent each month and where savings can be made. Give me a shout if I can help any further, Dave.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.