employer taking money from us…legal???

Home Forums National Chat employer taking money from us…legal???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    happymumblemum
    Participant

Girls the place I work is taking our pooled tip money in order to pay for guest who walk out and dont pay their bill……..

Is this legal??????// dp says no…and I should ring up and complain and ask for officialpolicy

Surely guests sho walkout are comiting a theft and it is a police matter but they are saying it is our faults…thats like saying if someone shoplifts some jeans then the shop girls should pay :x

yummymummy

i dont know what the legal policy is on tips, but the place should defo not be making its staff "pay" for guests walking out and not paying. jesus isnt this why ya book with a credit card or pay up front, madness isnt it. get all the rest of the staff to complain hmm, its not on, i wouldnt have that!!!!

happymumblemum
    Participant

just to clarify the walk outs i mean are from lunches and dinners not hotel guests but people just coming in to the bar

yummymummy

and how is the boss justifying that it is the staff problems, i bet if the diners knew that when they tip its being used for walk outs they wouldnt be best pleased, i no i wouldnt be!!!

Yvonne

I wouldn’t know about the legal side, but this can’t be right! Those tips are given to you from the diners and is rightly yours! You should nominate a spokesperson and call a meeting.

happymumblemum
    Participant

because we arent looking after the tables properly if the disappear????
    I am gonna ring the h.r department i think,,

pinkbabe

Can’t be right if u work in a clothes shop the boss can’t take ur commission because of shoplifters

Def find out if its legal HMMmaybe ur local citizens advice can help

Taylor5

Do you have a contract with them, well read it, there might be fine print somewhere..
    I doesnt sound right, but with it being tips its a bit tricky and I just dont know.
    I if you work with some tool, you all could lose your tips ❗ No dont sound right at all..
    Give Siptu a call they would be able to help. I was a union rep in CWU and would often get calls from nonunion people looking for advice…. sorry I cant help

scole1

check out citizen advice this is a tricky one as reagrds tips as they are tax free and not declared so may or may not stand, unless they are actually charged for service on bill iykwim, then it may be a case that you are entiteld to it, or try the labour relations….if you are told that your are no matter waht entitled to the tips then you have a case too but i can see from the employer’s point of view too, that staff are being paid to look after patrons and are responsible for them to issue bill to thepatrons for payments however companies are able to use this non paying of bills off their company loss…..maybe it’s the managers way of saying get youract together or else you’re loosing out….they certainly cannot take it from your wages but tips are different….the manager perhaps sees it as well you’re being tipped for your service but you guys aren’t getting them to pay…so suffer…..maybe you all should sit and have a chat with the manager/employer about this matter, get all your legal info and then united stand and air the issues or it may turn into a nasty situation and a very unpleasent work atmosphere…..
    sorry if sounded curt there in post but just giving both sides…hope get sorted out soon….the citizen info used to be http://www.oasis.gov think it’s citizen information site now….but it gave everytging for employment life etc….

happymumblemum
    Participant

thanks for your replies girls i shall look in to some of the ideas.

Definately sometimes walk outs are the staffs fault for maybe not getting bills down on time or not being on top of things so patrons say feck it were off but sometimes patrons come in knowing they aint gonna pay and do so sneakily as would a shoplifter 😥 what if people came in and ordered a slap up meal and champers then legged it???????????

Taylor5

God must give that a try someday 😆 😆 😆 Only joking HMM 😀

happymumblemum
    Participant

very funny 😆 😆 😆 😆

Taylor5

Is your money pooled or is it a service charge that it being stopped?

happymumblemum
    Participant

money is pooled and divied up weekly.

credit card tips go on our pay slips monthly

Taylor5

Well why dont you all start keeping your own tips and stop pooling it…. just an idea

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.