DS in A&E

Home Forums Louth Chat DS in A&E

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Babs

Haven’t posted for a while cause things have been hectic! My two sons were sick at the same time (3 and half yrs and 4 months) so took them to doc on a friday. She said they had viral chest infections, couldn’t give them anything but just to watch them as they should have been grand by the monday…that cost €80!!! By the monday the baby was still the same but my eldest was more chesty..by that night he got worse so I took him into the bathroom and turned the shower on for the stream. Whilst phoning the doctor on call he started to struggle to breath. He was wheezing so loudly, couldn’t breath and then started to vomit. I have never been so scared..he calmed down eventually and I took him immediately to A&E as I was afraid it was going to happen again!! Anyway the result of this visit was a doctor looking at him, agreeing that it was probably viral and stating that it is a condition similar to astma that affects young children when they are ill with a chest infection. He then wrote a prescription for an inhaior. I pointed out to him that it was midnight so the chemists were closed and that I was really scared incase it happened again and I couldn’t get him to breath…he reluctantly agreed to see if they had an inhailor in the hospital to give him and eventually came back saying he found one…but didn’t have the mask-like adaptor for it that enables a young child to use it. I cannot believe that he was happy for him to go home firstly without anything, and then with an inhailor that he couldn’t use..if it was a matter of money I would have paid the €10 for the inhailor and the €40 for the mask!!! The gas thing was that they were quick enough sending me the €100 bill!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

munchin
    Participant

gosh babs you must have got some fright 😯
    how are the kids now?

Babs

Thanks for asking…DS who was in A&E is so much better, sleeping through at last (he was waking with the coughing for a week) but my 4mth old still has a terrible chesty cough..I am watching him like a halk incase he develops the same thing!!! It is so scary when they are that small…but all on the mend I hope!! Have spoken to a number of mums who said their children have had a similar cough since the beginning of the year!!! Must be a new strain of virus!!

noeleenw

ds keeps getting these chesty things too he’s 11 months and we have a brill doctor she gives him the steroids which work very well and has recently given him an inhaler i think he only gets chesty when he is getting a tooth 🙄 🙄 but these seem to work and it means he’s not getting antibiotics all the time the doc also calls this viral !!!! hope your two are better soon there’s nothing worse than sick kids

munchin
    Participant

it is awful when they are sick so young. my dd had almost permanent cough from the sept to feb when she was one – i think some of it was teething and some could have been creche – she was never sick when she started but then 4months later all the coughing started. I also thought it could have been the time of year but she was fine this year just a few colds.
    Glad to hear they are on the mend

Taylor5

Oh Babs that terrible, I really feel for you as you know I went through the very same thing earlier in the year when Max was only 3 months….. he was sooo ill when I took him to A&E he was seen before a child that arrived in a Ambulance! We were sent home after a couple of hours, they told me his oxigen levels were dropping (his levels were being monitored in OLOL) and if he turned blue or changed colour to ring 999 and bring him back in, thank God he didnt need to return
    Nearly 3 months later every other week he will have a few days or shoudl I say nights of coughing fits, roll on a warm summer to give them all a boost.
    Hope he gets well soon

Hi Babs,

God that’s awful…I hope both your little fella’s are feeling better now. My lo had some sort of a virus recently too…all the sympoms of a headcold but a lot worse (coughing, chesty, runny/blocked nose/temp etc). It really is awful when they’re sick 😥

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know a lot of these chesty type things get worse in the night air……and I found not putting on the heat in the bedroom at night definately helped with the coughing……..I had a brother with an athsma cough and at night it was terrifying…..back then there was so much smog too that he couldn’t be brought out late in the evening or he would cough so much and find it hard to get his breath.

MaryE

I feel for you.

My son is the same, has that cough on & off for ages now. It is very frightening alright, he is on a preventer inhalor now & it does help a bit. When he gets really bad (like i think he is going to choke), i always bring him to doc but they never do anything, always say it is viral & take my money. So head wrecking.

Oh yeah try, put back of bed/ cot on books & pillow under head, so they are not lying flat, it helps with the cough.

Get rid of any teddy bears in room.

Best of luck.

MissyG

jeepers babs!!!! 🙁 u’ve certainly had your hands full lately!!!! glad to hear they’re on the mend, my ds was terrible for that chesty cough & he was tested and all by the time he was 2 for athsma but he doesn’t have it. however he does get it every now and then but not as much as when he was a baby or a toddler i’m glad to say… however when he does develop it i give him ventolin syrup and a cough bottle or antibiotic and the combination seems to do the trick every time. the ventolin opens the airways a bit more & enables them to breathe in more oxygen and it sure helps! hope they’ll be ok now…!

missyg

kcireland

Babs … I totally feel for you! I betcha you just wish you could take the breath for the little man!
    Thinking of you!

Babs

Ah thanks everyone…glad to report he much better..still has awful cough but inhailor did the trick!! Had my 4mth old back at doc two weeks later and she just said yes, still has a virus (his cough was getting worse and his ear was now at him, off bottles etc) and she charged €50!!! Obviously I was delighted there wasn’t anything serious wrong and I’d pay anything for that peace of mind, but is it just me or is it immoral for them to charge to say he still has what they diagnosed before!!! They said come back if he didnt improve which is why I did… 👿 👿

MaryE

Yeah, follow up appointments use to be free or at a discounted rate when i was young but now a days they charge you everytime. it is a disgrace.

I gave out once after id brought my ds to doc 3 times in 2 weeks (his coughing was so bad he could hardly breath) & the doc gave me a discount but you would think she was doing me a massive favour, the way she was going on.

I think if you go back for same thing within a certain timeframe you should defo not be charged.

Taylor5

My doc is 30 for a follow up visit

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.