ds has chicken pox!!!

Home Forums Louth Chat ds has chicken pox!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    MissyG

was getting ds dressed yesterday & discovered a few spots that had come up overnight… asked my mam yesterday & she confirmed it was chicken pox!!! i couldn’t believe it! rotten timing since his 5th birthday is on wed!!! :( he’s not too bad though. a few spots coming up & he’s not completely covered… they’re still breaking through so i assume this is the time its most contagious?? i’ve been giving him phenergan for the itch (he’s not scratching that much) and calamine lotion for it. was gonna keep him off school tomorrow & tues and maybe wed depending on how fast or slow they break through… how long do they usually stay out of school for?
    just waiting for dd to get it now! :(

missyg

hjs

Hiya

re chicken pox, don’t they gen say 1 week coming, 1 week of spots, 1 week going and contagious b4 spots emerge? only a gen rule of thumb. I was advised by my gp when daughter got them aged 18months 2 trim nails right down as far as u dare to avoid itching and scratching, aqueous calamine cream, absorbs so not endlessly dabbing on and a half teaspoon bicarb soda in bath app soothes itching. all worked for mine but the last not for the feint-hearted i think!

Hope clears soon

hjs

kcireland

ohhh Missy G … poor you & your little guy
    I found a few hand full of oatmeal in a warm bath helps, too!
    Good luck!

libby1
    Participant

Its normally 2 weeks for chicken poxs or measels

I would be afraid of spreading this on

munchin
    Participant

it’s one week coming, one week of spots, one week going but i was told it’s contagious until the last spot was crusted over – i know a creche won’t take them until the last spot is dry.
    Sorry but think more than 2days out of school – sorry to be bearer of bad news 😥

MissyG

oh lucky me 🙁 3 wks of easter hols for ds so!

MaryE

The poor little man, the itching is probably driving him mad, hope he doesn’t feel too off with them.

Yeah, my creche wont take them back until at least a week after spots have appeared. So he should be off school for the week really.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve heard of a few with them lately…..definately doing the rounds. When mine had them I found the Phenergan(medicine to be taken) worked along with Eurax lotion (over the counter at the chemist). The lotion works easier than the cream version. This lotion stops the itch for 10hrs if applied on the skin. I found this worked brill and they didn’t scratch and could bear it okay.

This is the info I got on an information card from Louth County Childcare when I started childminding……

Chicken Pox

Diseases early symptoms : May be slight fever, headache,
    nausea, spots appear on the 2nd day starting on the
    back
    Incubation : 11 –21 days
    Period with infectious : From 5 days before until 7 days
    after the last lot of blisters
    Minimum period of exclusion: 6 days from appearance
    of rash

Hope this helps.

Hugs.
    Why is that chicken pox always tend to come around at the worst timing.
    A week before the spots is the most contagious i’ve been told.

MissyG

cheers for all your tips, girls… i noticed the spots early sat morn so i assume they came up fri night… my mam tells me ds will be absolutely fine for his birthday party on sat… i hope! 🙄

Happymammy

Hi

Just spent the past 4 weeks dealing with chickenpox first the dd1 got them and exaclty 17 days to the spot the baby got them. The dd1 got very mild and was off school for 8 days, but the baby ended up with very severe case and i had to bring her to hospital because the back of her head swelled up it was her glands etc etc she still has them, her head has about 200 of the little buggers they are like midget bites and all crusted over. I was in the euro spar in duleek village and i brought her in with me (because she is a baby and i couldnt exactly leave her in the car!) she looked like casper covered in calamine lotion and a very rude lady with her 2 children made a point of saying it very loudly to her children to come away from the little child because she had the chickenpox disease! You swear she had the scurvy! Luckily my 11month old doesnt understand rudeness yet! I asked the women to go to the back of the que then because i wasnt moving! Yes its highly contagiouse but if they are going to get them then they will! Better when they are younger anyway. The baths where great for killing the itch i found the nights very bad! I got that allergy tablet to reduce itching it starts with a Z, cant remeber what its called but the chemist gave it to me its for over 2yr olds.
    Only starting to sleep the past 2 nights. poor little things. Best of luck.

Happymammy

Hi

Just spent the past 4 weeks dealing with chickenpox first the dd1 got them and exaclty 17 days to the spot the baby got them. The dd1 got very mild and was off school for 8 days, but the baby ended up with very severe case and i had to bring her to hospital because the back of her head swelled up it was her glands etc etc she still has them, her head has about 200 of the little buggers they are like midget bites and all crusted over. I was in the euro spar in duleek village and i brought her in with me(because she is a baby and i couldnt exactly leave her in the car!) she looked like casper covered in calamine lotion and a very rude lady with her 2 children made a point of saying it very loudly to her children to come away from the little child because she had the chickenpox disease! You swear she had the scurvy! Luckily my 11month old doesnt understand rudeness yet! I asked the women to go to the back of the que then because i wasnt moving! Yes its highly contagiouse but if they are going to get them then they will! Better when they are younger anyway. The baths where great for killing the itch i found the nights very bad! I got that allergy tablet to reduce itching it starts with a Z, cant remeber what its called but the chemist gave it to me its for over 2yr olds.
    Only starting to sleep the past 2 nights. poor little things. Best of luck.

MissyG

bloody cheek of your woman!!!! its so common for kids to get them& like you say they’re gonna get them anyway. brought ds out yesterday after spending sunday cooped up indoors & bought him colouring books & markers, crayons etc. its keeping him busy & stops him from scratching too much. he’s rubbing more than scratching really…. i actually hope my dd gets it so that i’m done with it….

Happymammy

I use to get her to sing pat a cake pat a cake!!! and pat the itch! 😆

MissyG

now my dd has it!!!! 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.