Drowning

Home Forums National Chat Drowning

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    trixiebell
    Participant

Just seen this posted over on MM, and it is something at especially this time of year that we should all be really cautious about and aware of.

Just came across this link on another site and thought it was something all parents should be aware of. Please God none of us ever have to use this information but it is certainly something I am glad I now know. I suppose we are so used to seeing dramatised drownings on Tv which in actual fact are nothing like the real thing.

Drowning doesn’t look like drowning

scole1

oh sent chills up my spine…..

come to think of it i think there wasa note in the drogheda leader that this weekedn coming there’s a water safety thing on…cannot remember where but check the little notices and you’ll see….

for all those swimming in pools, seas, or even baths keep safe, as they say even an inch of water can drown a child

Taylor5

Good to know…. like myself i thought you would get splashing and arms etc… Good reading for parents!!!
    We were just looking in the garden with all the toys etc filled with rain water and the dangers to a 1 year old….

beams

OMG – that is so scarey – i just thought it was like the movies with lots of splashing and noise – god – will be more vigilant from now on – ….. though i do remember about 15 years ago on holidays in greece with an old boyfriend – there was a little blond boy aged about 3 running around the pool with no arm bands etc. on – i couldnt take my eyes off him first because he was sooo cute but also because his lack arm bands – anyway my boyfriend was in the deep end just treading water with his arms up on the edge of the pool – this little fella ran over and plopped into the water right beside my boyfriend – so quietly that my boyfriend didnt notice – i screamed and my boyfriend put in his hand and grabbed the little fella by the hair and pulled him out. Nobody saw this happening only ME – that child would have been dead – would have slipped silently into the pool un noticed…..never will forget that !

Jedt
    Keymaster

Thanks Trixie – will be even more vigilant now when we put their little pool up in the garden.

scole1

water safety CLOGHERHEAD regsitration on 25th july water safety day on MONDAY 26TH JULY according to paper

Mark Acu

I have worked in the area of water safety from when i was 16 spending several years as a lifeguard in Kells Swimming Pool. We had a 25 mts pool with a deep end and a baby pool. Where did we spend most of out time ……. the baby pool ….. it was the most active section for us all the time as people had no idea how dangerous it was.

The venue I worked in locally for 13yrs had a strict policy of supervision by the parent which helped.

When a toddler falls over in water they literally just lie there…….. Very very scary but true. Parents used to constantly hop into the big pool swim a few lenghts leaving a 2 yr old to look after themselves. The amount of arguements the lifegurads got into with parents about this was unreal.

Even to this day I cant relax on holidays by a pool with children. Things can go wrong so fast.

For my next holiday blinkers and a very loud ipod me thinks 8)

Mark

Sinprey

the time i was in aura pool with kids about a yr or so ago we werejust winding up toleave the babypool and some woman plonked in her very young toddler with armbands and off she went into the big pool 😯 i dontknow whether she thought i would watch him buti called her as wewere going anyhow and also he wasnt my responsibility.she gave me funny look and was like ah he has armbands on. i said he cud still drown!!!i got a wry smile and she stayed with him id say till i was gone.mentioned it to staffon wayout.never came across her again.some people 🙄

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.