Dog poo

Home Forums Louth Chat Dog poo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Why oh why is there not a dog warden roaming around these parts?? the would make a fortune if they really fined people for this.

I saw an elderly lady with her dog last summer near where I live. I was pushing my baby in her pram and the lady let her dog do a poo on the footpath. I stopped and watched her to see if she would pick it up and as she started to walk away, I called her and asked her if she was planning to pick it up.

The abuse she gave me for saying it to her. she said she is an old lady and cannot be bending down to pick it up! I explained that my children may walk in it and the buggy could roll over and it she could not have cared less.

It drives me mad. I would love to take pictures of these people and report them.

If I parked my car illegally for a few minutes, I would get a fine. If someone throws chewing gum on the ground its a 150 fine but I have never seen anyone reprimanded for dog mess.

Its disgusting and they should not be allowed to have dogs if that is their attitude.

grrr….

louise789

OK I’m sorry about the title, but I had to put it out there, and at least you know what you’re getting into by reading on…!!

One of the things I love best about living here is how close to some of the most amazing beaches we are. But I have a gripe, one which I forget about when October comes round, until it starts to heat up again in Spring – people’s attitudes to their dog’s… mess.

My family and I are regular visitorsto Clogherhead and Termonfeckin beaches in particular, and we absolutely love them. Back in England I spent nearly every summer as a child on beaches in Cornwall, but the beaches here could rival them for their soft golden sands and beautiful sea. The only thing lacking is the surf really!

Despite having these beautiful beaches on our doorstep, what I cannot understand, is how people think it is appropriate to walk their dogs on these beautiful stretches of beach and then leave their mess behind. When we used to visit beaches on the North Cornish coast it used to be a rule (and as far as I am aware still is) that no dogs are allowed on the beach between the months of May and Sept/Oct (I can’t remember exactly). Now I don’t think such a harsh rule is necessarily what is needed here, but what would be nice is if people who walk their dogs on the beaches could take responsibility for the mess they leave behind. Sitting on Termonfeckin beach yesterday morning I saw two people walk past with their dogs on leads, dragging them along as the poor animal was trying to do its business. Like it was better to leave it dotted along the beach, rather than one pile – it’s just more to avoid! That’s not to mention the several dogs I saw off the lead who squatted down in various places across the beach – with their owners nearby. From where I was sitting (with my 2 and 4 year old sons) I was surrounded by families with very young children toddling around, and this one dog had messed precisely where a little boy had been tottering back and forward to play with his bucket and spade. Do these people not realise how disgusting (not to mention dangerous) it would be for a small child to walk in that, or worse pick it up? We all know what small children do with things they pick up!!!

I totally appreciate that what the dog is doing is the most natural thing in the world, but when you can pick up a bag of 100 nappy bags from a supermarket for less €1, why can’t the owners do the decent thing and pick it up and take it home? Or at least to the nearest bin. You don’t even have to touch it. Surely it’s just part of being a responsible pet owner?

Last summer DH and I were talking to a lifeguard onClogherhead beach and she was telling us they had blue flag status. We then watched a lady allow her rather large dog leave a rather large "deposit" on the beach in front of us! We actually asked the lifeguard whether this was actually allowed on the beach, and she said no. She said she and her friend had actually tried handing out bags the summer before to dissuade people from leaving it behind, and you know what? People refused them, she was even abused for offering them! So they gave up.

Of course it would help if there were a few dog bins along the beach, or even at the entrance/exit to encourage people, but I’m not sure how useful they would actually be…

The laugh is, the girl who walked past me, dragging her poor little pup behind her while he desperately tried to relieve himself (like dragging him was going to stop him going!), would have died if she’d stepped in a pile of the stuff in her sparkly sandals with her beautiful pedicure!!!!!!!! 😆 😆

I absolutely know there are lots of really great, responsible dog owners out there! And obviously occasionally accidents are going to happen where you don’t spot them because they’re off the lead, or you forget a bag of any kind, but really we see it so often it can’t always be the case.

I guess I just wanted to get this off my chest and wasn’t sure where to vent! I hope no one takes offence and thinks I’m bad-mouthing all dog owners, I totally am not!! Maybe I am being a bit over the top about the whole thing, but it is something that has bugged me every summer for the past few years (since I’ve had babies I guess!!). I wouldn’t leave their poo lying on the beach so why is this any different?!

Thanks for letting me vent anyway. 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

i’m a dog owner & i completely understand where you are coming from,I always clean up after my dog & i get so frustrated when i see other dog owners not cleaning up after their dogs.if i’m near them & i see them doing the pretending to look in their pockets for a bag thing,i always give them a bag & loiter around until they clean it up!.

There are a lot of irresponsible dog owners about & i think its a shame that they ruin open spaces like beaches & parks with their dogs mess.i dont see it ever changing though which is the really sad thing.

Taylor5

Oh dont get me started on this, i walk around the Bryanstown/Mary Street area and the dog poo is like land mines….

I had a run in with a neighbour last week, he cleans his garden every week, his garden is perfect, thats fine, but he lets his dog out every evening while his is weeding and dead heading etc. His darling dog trots up to my garden and does his business, i took a photo of the dog the other day and he caught me taking the photo… he ran up and picked up the poo, leaving 2 other poo’s the dog done the day before!!! He had the cheek to abuse me over taking the photo. I have a pet hate about dog owners who dont pick up after their dogs, i picked it up once and gave it to a dog owner and asked her not to let her dog poo in my garden!!! 😈 😈 😈 😈 😈 😈

louise789

I just can’t understand why some dog owners don’t appreciate that it is part of the responsibility of owning a dog! It’s not like having a cat, where you can’t really have much say in where they choose to go (unfortunately!). You take them for a walk, and whether they are on or off the lead you should be able to see them and know where they have "been".

My feelings on dogs being allowed to roam the streets are another issue altogether. I won’t go on about that because I don’t want to be seen as some kind of dog hater (I so am not – I wish I had the time, money and energy for a dog of our own!!)!!! 😉

Taylor5

Sabbi just dont get caught taking the photo of the dog!! 😳 😆 😆 😆 😆

I find its older people who are worse when it comes to dog poo…. the postman was telling me about his trip to Bettystown beach the other day, a car pulled off and left dirty nappies, bottles you name it behind them!!

Jedt
    Keymaster

I emailed Ray D’Arcy show about this and they just read out my email! Seems to tick alot of people off…..

Jedt
    Keymaster

They’re still talking about this – really ticks people off. I cannot understand why there are no dog wardens. they would make a fortune!!

MaryE

Its just disgusting the amount of Dog poo everywhere these days.

Sur emy neighbour still lets her dog out on its own a few times a day to poo in the neighbours garden.

My kids have walke din teh stuff many times lately. Makes my blood boil.

Taylor5

i have a dog and i would NEVER let her poo, if i had no bag with me i think i would use my hand and put in into a roadside shore of into a bush rather then leave it!!

MaryE we have alot of the same around here, i think people think if they have little yappy dogs its okay to get them out for a ramble and a quick sly shit!!! Whatannoys me about my neighbour is that he garden is amazing yet he doesnt mind his dog shitting in other peoples gardens or as in the case last week on the green with about 5 or 6 very young kids only a few feet away!!
    I know its not the dogs fault, but if i see the dog shitting in my garden again, i will get a photo then drop kick the little Bleep out of my garden

Fabienne

take the poo and thro it back to the onwer’s garden or in the door step under a leave so he’ll step on it.

louise789

We had neighbours where we were living before who had much larger dogs than little yappy ones roaming round, doing their business on our front lawn and at the top of the drive. It was vile. There was a gate to get up the drive and we had to stop closing it in the winter because if you had to get out to open it in the dark goodness know what you would step in. The children would literally have been up to their ankles!!

Sabbi I’m glad you got them talking on the radio. DH and I started writing a letter to the "papers" last year and couldn’t decide who would listen or where to send it so we gave up.

I think it is a general attitude change that is needed by many (of course not all!) dog owners, and the point is if you can’t handle the s**t, don’t get the dog!!!!!!! 😆

MaryE

The only reason that i dont say it to my neighbour is that she is an elderly women living on her own & i feel sorry for her but it is really getting on my nerves.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Maybe leave an anonymous note in the door when the person is not home and tell them if it continues, you will have to report them.

Its just not on.

Taylor5

Maybe leave an anonymous note in the door when the person is not home and tell them if it continues, you will have to report them.

Its just not on.

I did that and it worked for a little while, but then it started back again… this dog in question poo’s on my driveway, just at the top of it, we dont have gates or walls its all open plan, but the girl beside me has a wall, so when my kids are coming back from a walk they turn at the neighbours pillar and straight into the poo!!! 😈 😈 😈 😈

Fabienne i have for a split second thought about doing that, im sure if he had to pick up shit he wouldnt let his dog out to go where it likes, since i have started to run the dog when i see it, it has changed its route and is going in another neighours garden (who has a little 2 year old child) If she sees the dog doing it she will go down and fling it at him 😀 😀 😀
    As much as i would like to do it and leave under a leaf, that would only make me as bad as him…. a fine from the dog warden from the the evidence of the photos should be enought to make him keep the dog in

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.