doctor on call

Home Forums Louth Chat doctor on call

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    noeleenw

major rant alert here … ds was with the doc on thursday of the week before last was out on distaclor antibiotic for a chest infection but last monday evening his temperature went crazy up to 39.9 :shock: took 2 hours to get it down with paralink and nurofen he also had one of these horrible rashes that doesnt go away rang doc and went in at 12 .15 am anyway a lady doctor examined him and said it was a reaction to the antibiotic but to finish out the course :shock: she gave him an antihistamine and said it was a viral infection – now i am no doctor but antibiotics dont work on a virus- anyway paid 60 euro … temp went crazy again during the night so brought him to gp who said stop that antibiotic and also that he had an ear infection which the doc didnt cop :twisted: he put him on a different stronger antibiotic and it took 2 days to regulate his temp …. it is just hit and miss with the doctor on call as i found out

i never go to doc on call with DD she was rushed into to A & E because of one of them. she had a chesty cough for 2 days with high temp i brought her to the doc on call he told me she would fight it her self she was ok for about an hour when we got home. then she couldn’t breathe and was limp i had to ring 999 and get ambulance her tonsils were swelled so much she couldn’t get air out or in. she s ok now that was around a year ago.

Yvonne

Noeleen thats terrible! I have sometimes rang doc on call for advice, not needing to go in, just wanted some guidance…. and the attitude of some of the doctors… I hung up on them twice…. you think they would be glad that I didn’t want to go in…

Also, you shouldn’t have paid full price to them if you were only at your own doctor… we had A at our gp on a Wednesday, doc on call on Friday and we had to pay €30… (usually less if you were with your own doc within 7 days…)

Taylor5

c

Taylor5

God thats terrible… you could really loose your faith in Doctors when you listen to the horror stories people have to tell.
    I dont bring my kids to the doctor anymore, 9 times out of 10 i will treat myself with calpol and herbal remedies, i tend to let them fight things themselves… they both had virals 3 or 4 weeks ago temps going from 41 to no lower then 38.6 for 4 or 5 days!!! I did ring bupa on night as i was going to take ds1 into A&E or Doc on call just to be sure, but bupa said if a child is drinking and picking at food with high temp, no rash etc then treat at home and let it run its course
    Havent lost faith but have pain in my arse bring kids to the gp handing over 60 euro to be told "its viral" everything from rashes to colds.. viral viral viral… give calpol and 60 euro to be told that 🙄
    Call to your local chemist for advice for sick kids, plenty of over the counter products to treat kids
    I have never used the Doc on Call but i did ring twice and i found them very very nice, one doctor was very hard to understand but other then that, they were lovely and told me to call back during the night if ds2 condition changed… without seeing ds2 the same doc heard his breathing over the phone and told me to get to A&E he even rang the olol to tell them i was on the way in….
    But in saying that in my Gp’s there is one doctor that is as usefull as a chocolate fire guard, Thick!!! If im offered this doctor im like eh no i’ll wait for other doc 😳

noeleenw

i have a fear of high temperatures as dd used to get convulsions with them so had to get her seen to each time the temp went up 🙁 but ds is ok with temperatures but i would have a fear of him getting convulsions too so bring him to the doc too

Martina
    Participant

I have to say I have a kidney problem and often find 9 times out of 10 it will be the weekend when I wake up and know I have to get to a Dr.

Because of the problem I have I need to be seen as soon as possible to avoid doing any further damage and so I head to Dr. on call €60 in pocket and at this stage knowing full well that whatever antibiotic I get from them will not clear up the infection and it will cost me another €40.00 to my own Dr. to get the right one!

I have a list of antibiotics recommended by the Consultant in Beaumont but they never listen!

Taylor5

Sparklycake my mother is the very same she suffers with her kidneys too and like when she wakes with a pain in her back she know she needs to get to the doc, she has figured it out that one antibiotic will clear the infection….. she refuses to leave if the doc tries to give another one

Noeleen my ds1 is the very same, he has had 2 convulsion…. but none this time even with a 41 temp, so lets hope he has grown out of it, he is nearly 5, the doctor said its kids under 5 that are more likely to convulse… so here is to wishing our lives away

Think all kids under a certain age should have a medical card

Hennypenny

I had to get doc on call out to the house one night as i suffer with arthritis and needed a strong painkiller, would you beleive the doc was drunk i could not beleive it. i would never get doc on call out anymore. i now go to swiftcare in airside swords. as a person who need a lot of medical care i think they are great. cost varies from 50-100 euro depending what treetment you need. [vhi can claim back cost]

hope this helps 😯 😯

noeleenw

i really think they need to vet the staff better

Taylor5

I had to get doc on call out to the house one night as i suffer with arthritis and needed a strong painkiller, would you beleive the doc was drunk i could not beleive it. i would never get doc on call out anymore. i now go to swiftcare in airside swords. as a person who need a lot of medical care i think they are great. cost varies from 50-100 euro depending what treetment you need. [vhi can claim back cost]

hope this helps 😯 😯

Mother of God the doctor was drunk!!!!! Not being funny but are you sure he/she was drunk, could they have been tired? Thats the best i’ve ever heard…. doc on call drunk 😆 😆 😆
    Swiftcall sounds good, can you claim for that centre as a bupa paitent

ditto

I think we all agree all children should have a medical card as that is what irks us most forking out 60e each visit. Our kids are not recognised as dependants under the tax system but then when they go to college the parents are means tested thus then recognising that the kids are dependents … double standards grrrr !!

But I have to disagree with some posts there .. my experience with Dr on call is excellent … fantastic in the dead of the night when your kid is scary ill. Thankfully 9times out of 10 you know it’s just the antibiotic they need, so just getting that prescription on the friday night means your little one will be better by Monday rather than prolonging their suffering till your own doc surgery is open.

On a personal note … it was the doctor on call who spotted my MIL’s heart condition and had her for a bipass within 12hours … her doctor at the time told her it was just age !

It’s a choice and no one has to use the service but thankfully it is there if we need them.

Taylor5

Ditto i do agree that its a great service to have, if it works for you… only ever made a few phone calls and found their advice great.
    My mother is the same she has been to the doc for months with a problem, doc just put it down to age… he was only holidays and she was seen my a stand in doc… she was sent straight to A&E and seen that day by a heart consultant and put on life saving meds…. sometimes fresh eyes on a problem are good

Hennypenny

hope this helps 😯 😯

Mother of God the doctor was drunk!!!!! Not being funny but are you sure he/she was drunk, could they have been tired? Thats the best i’ve ever heard…. doc on call drunk 😆 😆 😆
    Swiftcall sounds good, can you claim for that centre as a bupa paitent
    I no for sure he was drunk, you could smell it off him 😆 😡 😡

Taylor5

im sorry but that it terrible to hear!! 😯 I hopeyou reported the doctor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.