Dept of Education gone mad (well, madder than usual)

Home Forums Education Dept of Education gone mad (well, madder than usual)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jedt
    Keymaster

I am flabbergasted at this one

Our children’s school – after much hard work and lobbying – has finally been added to the list to have a permanent school building built.

So far, the deptof education has spent a whopping 2 million+ euro on prefabs and now we are finally going to get a permanent school building but….for some strange reason, this will not happen until 2015/2016????

Because the school is growing, the dept of Education (in all its infinite wisdom) has decided to spent a further 800,000 expanding the prefabs and then in 2015/2016, they will tear all that down and build the permanent structure at a cost of 800,000.

Why not employ some out of work builders now and get cracking on the proper school instead of wasting time & money on a temporary building??

Can anyone see any sense at in all in this – and this is where our taxes are being spent. It makes tax evaders seem like smart people!

Is there any way to get through to them and make them see sense and come up with a way to get this done the smart way?

We are all signing letters for starters…hope that does something!

Anonymous
    Inactive

To be honest this seems to happen a lot. It is hard to understand when it is so hard to find any spare money for anything in education the idea of money like this going on rented prefabs really jars. I can understand the need to make hasty provision for bulging classes but there are new schools which have previously gone to permanent build far more quickly which has to be more cost effective. It could be something to do with planning though I would have thought planning was needed for temporary structures too? Do you know if the school is to be a repeat generic design similar to most new springing up around the country? If so it should be straightforward enough you would imagine. I’ve often been struck by how quickly certain German supermarkets can put up a new store in parts of the country using their own teams and a generic design yet building a school can take so long. I have no answers I’m afraid!
    Anyway well done on your school being listed, even that is an achievement, but it’s a pity to have to wait so long.

Jedt
    Keymaster

Planning permission is sorted as far as I know and it is a new structure so I cannot understand the delay. It seems like a total waste of money. 😕

Fabienne

As far as I know, it’s very silly (I could use worse words…) but new school as to apply for permission, when granted, they HAVE TO be in tempoarry buildings for 5 years before they get granded the next stage permament building. Old rule/law just to prove that the school is really needed and will stay open. But nowadays when a new school gets the first approval it’s because it’s badly needed why need to prove for an extra 5 years of use always in temporary building, it’s more expensive and doesn’t make sense.
    In the last 10 years how many school in the country did get permission to open, first in temporary buildings then had to closed down less than 5 years later. I don’t know but don’t think there is a single school in that case.

Are they trying to find more ways to waste tax-payers money?
    😆 😆

Fabienne

Fabienne

So waste waste money when first open a school, and now waste even more by delaying permanent building when some extra temporary will be needed to to school expanding as planned by the planning permission granded in the first place.
    Yes we should push to have it done sooner than 2015, that will save money and give builders some work.

Fabienne

Jedt
    Keymaster

It is such a waste and they could be employing people in the building trade to build the permanent structure. It just makes no sense.

If mammies were in charge of this country I honestly don’t think we would not be in anything like the mess we are currently in.

Madness!!!!

Fabienne

Sabbi if you go, I’ll vote for you.
    Fabienne

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.