Dentist Phobia!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    misemammy3

Hi guys, I have the biggest fear of dentists ever. And my worst nightmare has just come true.

I have to go on Thusday and get an extraction and possibly 2 fillings. :evil:

I am genuinely terrified!

Whats the best way to reassure myself that all be fine.

Havent had a tooth pulled in 18 years and it wasnt a pleasant experience.

Help :(

kjmam

plenty of rescue remedy ❗ god love you im not a fan either

Jedt

I know it does not make any sense to be so scared when it usually ends up being nothing to have worried about in the first place but alot of people are scared of going to the dentist. (including yours truly!) We had a horrid school dentist and he traumatized us all when we had to go see him so I can understand why you are nervous about it.

Tell the dentist you are nervous, most dentists nowadays are good with nervous patients. Its not like years ago when they were impatient if you were nervous, nowadays they are patient and are trained to help patients who are afraid. Some dentists have even studied relaxation techniques to help their patients!

I go to a dentist in Balbriggan and he is amazing. I am big scaredy cat and he is so patient and kind when I go to him. He thinks its amazing I had 2 home births with no drugs but seize up when I have to go to the dentist. He talks me though things and takes his time and is really wonderful. I am due a check up and to be honest, I usually avoid going until I have to but I am getting better at going and am going to book in next week voluntarily – for me, thats amazing progress!

I would say try to think that it will not take long and do lots of deep breathing before you go in (and if you are really stressed, try to get your hands on half a valium tablet, thatwill relax you for sure!)

Jedt

second the rescue remedy, that is great stuff! and bring a good book or magazine with you so you can distract yourself while you are waiting.

HTH

misemammy3

Thanks for all that. I know I shouldnt be afraid or nervous as been a mum of 3 I too have had my fair share of needles and also 3 C-sections 🙄

So a trip to the dentist should be a doddle. It is the needle that scares the bejaysus outta me.

I will definitely purchase some Rescue Remedy. I dont want to pass my fear onto my kids cause at the minute they are fine with dental visits. So hopefully that will remain.

😉

MaryE

I got a tooth out today actually. Its not painfull but i just hate the sounds & feelings. I am not a needle fan myself, so i never look at it. And when they are doing the extraction, i try to totally think of something else or sing a song in my head, childish i know but it gets me through it. I have huge roots (according to my dentist) so its hard work extrtacting teeth but it was over quick enough. The pain is gone & i can eat again, so im happy.

Fabienne

I’m also really bad with dentists. I had to go back for check-up and a sore tooth when I was 20 something. Was so terrified, that I did not say hello (completly even forgot to be polite), forgot as well to say goodbye and even forgot to pay he just had time to give me my next appointment.
    I came to following week did appologise for my rudness, asked him how much I did owe him.
    He said you did look so terrified, that he didn’t mind and knew he was going to be paid (was working in the same building than my dad), and he rarely had someone so terrified. 20 years later I still go to him and only him, still look terrifed, it makes him laugh each time, now he says hello first so by reflex I answer, so at least I appear to be less rude 😆
    He talks to me about Ireland so it keeps my mind a bit busy but every few second he still has to remind me to breathe, and he’s watching his back, I ‘m standing still, not moving, not breathing from upper body, but kicking my legs in terror like mad.
    And when he sees my stress level he understand why I fly in France to see him. Now I hope he’ll never retire. And of course doens’t understand that I still can be so terrified.
    That said, 20 years later still petrified, but not once he did cause me any pain. So is it really reasonable to act like I’m on a death row?
    Phobia doesn’t have reason.
    Still has to be done, we go, we said it wasn’t that bad, and still we’re terrrifed to go again.
    Hope it goes well for you, and the dentists are not the same than 200 years ago, they have great techinques to work without hurting you, can use painkillers, so the fear has no reason to be there, but oh I do understand you.
    Best of luck.

Fabienne

Ok my ppost can’t help you. But try to go with a friend so you’ll chat and keep your mind busy. Think about the fact that techniques did change a lot for the better.
    try to be a grown-up about it 😆 , think what you’ll say to your kids (giving birth is a different level of pain and you coped with it) if they had to go.
    Easier said than done.
    Book, friend and if stress too bad why don;t you try accupuncture, homoepathie or reflexology or ask gp for a very mild relaxant if you think you need some medecine to help with phobia.

Fabienne

misemammy3

I got a tooth out today actually. Its not painfull but i just hate the sounds & feelings. I am not a needle fan myself, so i never look at it. And when they are doing the extraction, i try to totally think of something else or sing a song in my head, childish i know but it gets me through it. I have huge roots (according to my dentist) so its hard work extrtacting teeth but it was over quick enough. The pain is gone & i can eat again, so im happy.

Mary thanks a million for that. i feel far less scared now 😕

Hopefully this time in Thursday i will be posting that I was a big child and was worrying for no reason at all. Fingers crossed

Watch this space

Taylor5

i had to go to the dentist last year, i thought it was the injection or the sound of the drill that i hated, but not both of the above were fine….. strange to say it was having to bite on cotton wool that freaked me out 😳 😳 😳 The dentist laughed and said its very common, most people dont like it….

scole1

dont be afraid…i swear i was terrified of the dentist so much so a avoided going until i really really needed to go i had a huge absis that pained me for months the dentist told me that absis’ are the worst to leave untreated as they can get into your jawbone and travel to your brain…ahhhhh

anyway i sat and cried my eyes out in the surgery, terrified and he settled my nerves did an examination and then prescribed valium for my next visit which was an extraction….he was so nice and i have to say the exraction was grand hardly felt a thing..dribbled alot but grand…lol…i even returned for two fillings i still have to go back but have to save the money for the next visit….

seriously i would rather give birth then visit a dentist now it’s the opposite, i think dentistry has changed in so much that they are more considerate and caring than before and realise that so many people have had bad experiences in childhood and are willing to rectify those bad experiences by providing good ones…so go and relax and stay came and if worried etc tell them they know how to deal with nervous visitors…

lellykelly

I had a bad experience with an extraction & when I had to have another, the dentist gave me a prescription for something to take an hour before I went to her. I’d say it was valium or the equivalent but the difference it made was unreal.I too go to the dentist in Balbriggan & find them brilliant but I’d say that any dentist would do it for you if you rang them up & said it to them? Good luck

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.