dead dishwasher, just over a year since we bought it

Home Forums National Chat dead dishwasher, just over a year since we bought it

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Our dishwasher died 2 days ago, not great before all the Xmas cooking.
    We bought it 1 year and 3 months ago. We did call the shop they said that maybe not sure that the manufacturer will take it under the garanty (1 year), and that they let them know and the manufacturer will contact us, but no clue when, with Xmas break I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

How long should we wait? And what are our options? Should we contact the manufacturer directly, or can we trust the shop that sold it to do it?

Thanks for replies,
    Fabienne

Financial Companion
    Participant

Fabienne, which shop was it? Go back and tell them that you want it repaired free of charge, as under the sale of goods and supply of services act, it is not of "merchantable quality", that is, suitable for the purpose for which it was designed. (They should obviously last a lot longer than 15 months). Remind them that the guarantee or waranty is a manufacturer’s extra and does not affect your statutory rights. Your contract of sale is with the shop, not the manufacturer.

Fabienne

Thanks for info.
    I guess now it’s sunday so we’ll go back to the shop tomorrow before Xmas, otherwise it will be a whole week before they do something. At least start to take care of the situation.
    Meanwhile I bought some hand washing-up liquid 😆

pookie2

I can empathise – and it should certainly last longer than that.

At 4.30 today (Christmas Eve) the toddler pulled the aerial connection out of the back of the 5 month old flatscreen/ saorview enabled / dvd player-containing Toshiba tv. Unfortuantely, he also tore out about a c.m. of silver stuff that had been part of the tv itself. Result: can no longer connect the aerial.

Fair play to Jackie in Eddie Maguire’s in Dundalk – he pulled out all the stops – even though the shop was due to close in less than half an hour – & loaned me a set-top box & scart cable to by-pass the problem until the new year.

There are times when it really pays to shop in a smaller retailer where you are actually known….

Electrical goods always seem to go bust at the worst possible minute…

Fabienne

We called, went, can’t make it right.
    The shop is powercity in Drogheda.
    My husband will go there again today, but I doubt they’ll do something. If they don’t any advice for either make them respect our rights or annoy them as much as we can?

They are so unhelpfull and unfriendly.
    My fridge is going to pack-up soon, at least I know where not to go!

But we’re down a dishwasher, and we had other plans than replacing a brand new dishwasher.

Any experience with a white goods shop that is helpfull when things go wrong?

Fabienne.

Fabienne

They’re going to call us back on wed….
    Wait and see.
    Fabienne

pookie2

Don’t know if there is an Eddie Maguire’s up your end, but the one in Dundalk has never let me down…

Anonymous
    Inactive

would you consider getting someone out to look and see if its only a small problem that could be repaired cheaply. On a lighter note, my sisters dishwasher died too a few weeks ago and she had bought another one. when she went to pull out the old one she suddenly saw the plug was half pulled out of the wall 😳 and thats all that was wrong….new one went straight back 😳

Fabienne

It doesn’t heat the water, I think it could be fixed, but I would prefer if the shop pay for the repair rather than us.

I’ll check the plug, but it’s half-working.

Thanks for info.

Fabienne

Fabienne

Do you know if Eddie Maguire’s Dundalk will deliver up to our end?

Still hoping not to have to spend money to get it fixed.

Fabienne

Yvonne

There is a guy called Quinn Appliances.. I believe he does free call outs.. might be worth getting him out to see what the problem is and what it might cost to fix.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thats who I got, Ronan Quinn. Would recommend. First time my dishwasher was dead and couldnt be economically repaired so was no call out charge. Got him out for other jobs too, very good.

Financial Companion
    Participant

You should not have to pay a cent to get it fixed! Just keep forcefully reminding them that they are obliged to repair it under the sale of goods act. Do not accept anything other than that.

Fabienne

thanks to Dave and his advices, got the dishwasher kind of fixed (repair man came, change some part, all free of charge), it’s now working but not as well as before (was never great anyway), but working, so no more handwash.

Thanks,
    Fabienne

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.