Dads out of work??

Home Forums National Chat Dads out of work??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Babs

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask you all something…my hubby finished work last week and is now at home with me and the kids….just wondering how many of your hubbies/partners are now in similar situations?? Have many left jobs and are now at home all day for the first time? How did you and he cope in the early days when it is such a big adjustment…my otherhalf has great plans and is getting things up and going for himself (starting his own business) butit is actually me that is finding it difficult!!! It is like someone just came in and upturned MY workplace (ie the home) which sounds so selfish!!! Any advice would be appreciated!!

Jedt
    Keymaster

It is an adjustment alright!! I remember when my husband started working from home. Initially I thought it would be all wonderful but then we realised we might go mad being around each other so much.

The way to survive is to get away from each other for a bit every day!!

My hubby and I take turns working and minding the kids and I also go out walking most days. Just to get out for an hour or two.

Keep some things separate, like hobbies. The other evening I went to cinema with my friend and my hubby played an online playstation tournament. We had been driving each other nuts before I left but when I got back we were fine and snuggled up on couch together

Everyone is different and it just takes time to settle into a new routine.

It’s hard now because its new but it gets easier….honestly!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

It must be difficult i know that my husband went from working shift work so every second week i wouldnt see him Mon-Thursday. 2 years ago he went back to normal hours, took some adjustment as you get so used to a situation.
    OUr neighbour was laid off back in March, driving my DH mad with all of the DIY work at all hours of the day. It doesnt bother me i just feel for him/for them all.

Babs

Don’t talk to me about DIY!!! Hubby like a thing possessed, hammering and plastering the shed (soon to be office!!!) and I mean ALL the time…mind you, it has to be done so that he can start working so I shouldn’t complain!! It must be difficult for men out of work…my hubby met me at the parent and toddler group earlier this week and couldn’t get over the amount of mums and the fact there were no dads!!!! Don’t dads want to meet other dads out there?? Am sure they could do with support like us!!! Maybe thats the next thing for Drogheda…a "daddy and me" morning!!! They could swap DIY tips!!! 🙄 🙄

Jedt
    Keymaster

My hubby was there Tue morning and I sent him over to your hubby – they both looked relieved to have found each other amongst all us women and were chatting away no bother…

Another dad came in later on too, when you guys had left- but I guess 3 dads at that event was not too bad. it seems the men are getting a tad braver.

Lets try to get a few more in next month….

munchin
    Participant

reckon i’ll bring the hubby next month!
    my dh has been out of work for a while – has applied for jobs continuously to no avail. Now with 2 kids he’ll have to stay home with the kids while i work – not ideal but no choice – at least one of us is working I suppose. joys

Babs

It would be nice if dads felt comfortable to come along to these events…after all they are for "parents" not just us mums….

Think the whole idea of mother and toddler groups has to change to be more inclusive of dads.

Babs

Well I am going to invite my hubby to come next time…and if any other dads out there fancy it get them to come along too….sure he can have a natter again with your hubby Sabbi (like two aul ones!!!)…X

Taylor5

Babs did you notice its parent and baby parking now? Not mother and baby. I think it was great to see some dads there, there were 3 another dad arrived later

Babs

It is the way it should be!!! As women we have fought to be treated equally, but the truth is that dads are not treated as equal when it comes to parenting…that may suit some men but I am sure it must really frustrate those dads that wish to be more involved and hands on….they’ll be burning their under pants in protest some day!!! 😆 😆

Jedt
    Keymaster

Must add – the Bagel Bar and Laurence Centre always call it ‘Parent & toddler’ never just for mums. So fair play to them. Lets try to get a few more dads in next month….

Jedt
    Keymaster

For anyone who has not seen it, there is a Recruitment Expert, in the ‘Ask the expert’ section on Mumstown. You can post a message or PM Lynda about jobs.

Worth a shot for anyone looking for work!!

MissyG

hey there, i was sorry i missed the parent toddler morning! had to bring dd to beaumont for implant tuning on her cochlear implant. a few wks ago they discovered a problem on the inside implant piece (the one thats implanted into the side of her head) and they called us back that day for adjustments. have to go back at the end of the month for them to see how she’s gettin on…. hopefully they’re happy and that we don’t have to get this implant done again. that really would be my worst nightmare!!!
    dd is starting playschool on 31st aug i can’t believe it!!!! maybe i’ll come along to the next coffee morn on my own????????? :D:D:D:D:D:D lol

joey_rudd

my eldest dd is supposed to start creche on the 31st toobut she has to go up the get her body cast checked, if she gets safely off to creche the next day, might pop down to the toddler group it’ll be ds’s birthday so i”l have 2/3 with me maybe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.