Creches that take suspected special needs children

Home Forums Education Creches that take suspected special needs children

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    cmcdonnell

Can anyone tell me of any creches that will take my son who is 2 and a half. He cannot talk and has very short attention span. Has suspected Autism. I am finding it very difficult to find him a place and he needs all the help he can get.
    I would be very grateful if any one has any relevant information if they could let me know. i really think if he was to attend a creche it would help him. Thanks!

scole1

most places should have some one with special needs training…

where are you based?

Taylor5

Are you in Drogheda? Doesnt Daisy Chain on the Bryanstown Cross route have an Autism room, I think they only have a few places… i remember talking to a mother who had her child in there, she said it was brilliant the care her dd got.

cmcdonnell

I live on the hospital side of Drogheda. Finding it hard to find properly qualified creches. I have heard of Daisy Chain. I didnt realise they had an autism room. I will try them Thanks. 🙂

boo

As far as I know it was/is Jonix who ran the Autism unit in Drogheda here is the link, it would be worth giving them a call. Also have you talked to Abacus school in fair street would be worth putting your child’s name on the waiting list for the future in case you want to send him there.

http://www.jonix.ie/

boo

This link may also be helpful

http://www.autismireland.ie/member-groups/468/

Its worth going to the support group meetings and meeting other parents who have been through what you are going through now. Hope you and your son get the support that you need.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think thats right about Daisychain and jonix. I’m not sure how it works in creche/preschools now. I know years ago when my own child needed a special needs assistant in her preschool it was organised through the HSE. I didn’t get to choose my preschool but was allocated a place in a preschool where there was a HSE SNA working. She was assessed for her needs again through the HSE Early Intervention Team for under 6’s.

pookie2

Creches, like schools, should have an enrolement policy. Unless it specifically states that they won’t take children with learning difficulties, they’d have a hard time justifying a refusal unless they were oversubscribed….

Gettng in touch with other parents of autistic kids would def be a help

pookie2

Creches, like schools, should have an enrolement policy. Unless it specifically states that they won’t take children with learning difficulties, they’d have a hard time justifying a refusal unless they were oversubscribed….

Gettng in touch with other parents of autistic kids would def be a help

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just to clarify in my own case my daughter had cerebral palsy with no intellectual delay so she needed an SNA for the physical tasks, toileting, eating, playing etc. I would not have expected a preschool to take her without an SNA provided as with the ratios in preschools they couldnt have coped with her needs on top of looking after the regular needs of children in the classroom. As she wasn’t toilet trained either (unlike most children her age) due to medical reasons they also had to have somewhere suitable to change her etc.

On another similar issue thats why I had to give up work also as nowhere was geared to mind her fulltime apart from the fact she needed ongoing physical therapy, medications etc. during her day. Returning to work was a big NO for me. Over time I realised that I couldn’t have gone back to work as she needed so much intervention from me on a daily basis apart from the numerous appointments for therapies.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.