creche fees over christmas

Home Forums Louth Chat creche fees over christmas

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Elliemae

I’ve just been told by my dd creche that I still have to pay over xmas even though they will be closed!! €100! I work in retail so I’ll be working all that week with jan sales etc. so that means I’m going to have to pay someone to look after her, as well as paying fees!

yummymummy

yep this is the norm!!!!! creche staff are entitled to paid holidays just as u are. might not be fair (and i do understand ur plight as i had to do it for 3 years) but such is life im afraid….it also should of been in t&c’s of ur contract

Fabienne

the rate for paid holidays is about 8%,
    so check if the creche is closed and pay for, for more or less than 8% / year

But at the end, there is staff to pay, so either you pay when they’re closed or they charge more the rest of the time, overall it’s the same.
    Even if I understand it’s difficult to have to pay twice for childcare because it’s Xmas break.

Fabienne

Taylor5

I have to pay when ds’s playschool is closed this xmas….. oh no wait i dont think I have to pay, but had to pay over Halloween….. Oh will find out tomorrow, only took over 300 euro out for the month. Will be down to the sale night tomorrow if i dont have to pay

munchin
    Participant

as yummy says this is the norm with most creches – BUT most creches will tell you this when you’re signing up, i know ours did. The idea is you pay the same amount per month over the year. If they didn’t tell you this in the begining or it’s not in your contract i’d argue but i’d be surprised if it’s not in there somewhere, sorry not what you want to hear 😥
    The first year in ours they were closed, last yr & this yr they have sent out forms to see what demand is and have a skeleton staff on.

Taylor5

I went to pay today and was told leave it until next week and i only have to pay up until the 22nd, she isnt charging for the xmas holidays or Easter ones… but ds will be on the free scheme at easter anyway.
    This isnt a creche but a preschool…. so might be different

MUMMY5

The way it normally works for creches is that you pay for 52 weeks of the year. They do close for holidays over Christmas etc. but still have to get paid to pay staff. Suppose alternative is to charge more per week to cover this expense!

Does seem tough when your still working having to pay creche that is closed and then someone else to mind your child on top of that. You would think in this day and age holidays would be staggered like most business have to do for Christmas Eve, New Years Eve etc. It could be done just like every other business does and I’m sure creches would only need a skeleton staff as many parents would have their own holidays at this time.

I work as a childminder and I get paid every week of the year but I am available to mind the children. I don’t charge if I couldnt provide the service for some reason. If someone chooses not to come, but I’m still available, I would charge. I think its a bit excessive, if they were actually open that would be different.

Taylor5

i’ve spoken about this to a few people and as far as I know its the only place that doesnt charge for the xmas holidays

Jomoodar

Taylor just check that if your not paying over xmas that they are not using your deposit!!
    If you paid a deposit and your child qualifies for new scheme in JAnuary then you are entitled to your deposit back now! they are not permitted to hold your booking deposit under rules of the scheme,
    so just check that although you are paying less (which is great) double check the status of your deposit (if you paid one)!

Most places charge over xmas, as in our case fees are calculated over the year and divided over a weekly or monthly basis regardless of holidays!

Jomoodar

Babs

My weeman in same place as Taylors, and its not out of the deposit…the owner doesn’t charge for Christmas, Easter or when it closes for Summer…she is a lovely woman who runs this out of love for kids and not as a business…Places that charge may do so because they have to pay staff, but I can guarantee the staff only get a small percentage of the fees (as childcare staff wages are so poor!)… Yes, if you choose to go on holidays you should have to pay for your child’s place, but not when they choose to close!! There is no need for a full daycare centre to close for the guts of two weeks anytime of the year!!!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.