Contraception: Mirena Coil

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    chewieodie
    Participant

Fabs, whoever inserted it, should remove it?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Fabienne, have you tried the medical center on the dublin road, dr Lynn does it, he inserted mine.He s expensive but very good.
    I was chickening too but it was fine, just very very uncomfortable but not sore. Apparently you feel nothing when they take it out.
    I just heard of someone who got pregnant on it so my mind is still not at peace but there s very little chance it can happen i know.I wonder if it can move.

Fabienne

The person who inserted it is now retired. I blame him everyday for that, he’s not that old, a bit I suppose.
    It was in France. He actually was the OB-GYN who delivered me. I was the first baby he delivered when he finished his studies and join a practice.

The dr on the Dublin road don’t want to do it on me as I only had c-section without having any labour at all.
    She advised me to call a Dr in Navan telling me I should tell her before as few dr will do it if you did not have previous labour.

I’ll call few places on monday otherwise will go back in France where no prior labour does not bother them that much, as it’s OB-GYN not gp’s who do it.

Thanks for the replies girls. And happy to know that the pain is not that bad.

Fabienne

Jedt
    Keymaster

The joys of being a woman eh?? even after having the babies we still have to go through so much with periods, contraception, menopause etc….

Are you girls gettingthe coil for regulating your periods or for contraception?

Thought about this myself and about getting sterlized but in the end we decided that after 6 pregnancies, my hubby should step up and let me off the hook, so he had vasectomy a few weeks ago.

Hopefully thats the end of contraception worries for us. He had it done in an just over an hour with local anesthetic and takes a few days or in rare cases few weeks to recover. He said it was sore but he’s all better now so hopefully thats us sorted. He has to get checked in few weeks and we’ll know if we are in the clear.

Little bit sad to know no more babies but so happy with our lot and glad to be moving on to next part of our lives.

Taylor5

The person who inserted it is now retired. I blame him everyday for that, he’s not that old, a bit I suppose.
    It was in France. He actually was the OB-GYN who delivered me. I was the first baby he delivered when he finished his studies and join a practice.

The dr on the Dublin road don’t want to do it on me as I only had c-section without having any labour at all.
    She advised me to call a Dr in Navan telling me I should tell her before as few dr will do it if you did not have previous labour.

I’ll call few places on monday otherwise will go back in France where no prior labour does not bother them that much, as it’s OB-GYN not gp’s who do it.

Thanks for the replies girls. And happy to know that the pain is not that bad.

Fabienne

Fabienne my doctor is in Drogheda and he will insert mine, i had 2 labours but had sections on both. I was the one who raised issues about not having delivered, he said he would give me a perscription for a gel to be inserted 12 hours before appointment, for the cervic to dialate…. it cost about 20e, about the same cost as you having to travel to Navan, i will pm the doctors name and number if you wish.
    Im the very same as some of the girls, this is my THIRD perscription that has gone out of date, i havent even collected it from the chemist!!!

Berry

I had one in for about a year and a half. Didn’t suit me – felt it disconnected me from my body – didn’t know what was me – my natural cycle was gone – I was no longer in tune with what was happening in my body – I didn’t know what was me and what was synthetic hormone.

Berry

Yvonne

I have mine in since March 2010 and have had no problems, no periods since September last year either…

I was told that if you only have had sections it makes it tricker to insert and remove, as if you have a natural labour its easier to insert etc…
    You can be put under anesthetic to have it removed aswell…

Fabienne, Dr. Slattery in the Boyne Medical Centre done mine, she might be worth a call?

pookie2

Dr Rabee (beside credit union building) puts them in & takes them out. She’s an ob-gyn, but night be cheaper & more convenient than going all the way to France.

Re vasectomies v female sterilisation. Absolutely get him to have the job done. Much easier on him as not major surgery, general anaesthetic etc. Also cheaper. Also way more effective. About 1 in 5000 failure rate with vasectomies i in 500 with tubal ligation. No brainer when it comes down to a choice of one or the other unless (a) not a regular partner or (b) he’s unreasonable.

Yeah, Berry, I know where you are coming from. The idea of no period when I’m neither pregnant or breast-feeding nor menopausal is strangely disconcerting….

Taylor5

Dr Lynn onthe Dublin Road does the snip and other bits in his new clinic… Did anyone put on alot of weight after getting it fitted? I know a few people who had to have it removed, one got like teenage spots on her chest, back and face…. coil removed and spots vanished

Anonymous
    Inactive

no weight gain for me, only some spots for the first two weeks, they were very bad but went away and now, touch wood, no side effect whatsoever. The level of hormon released is very low, much lower than the pill so it shouldnt affect your mood or body that much. You just forget about it, that s true, love it so far cause no stress, no pain, no need to be careful or count days. Go for it.

Fabienne

I call many places, including well woman centre, have to have it done by Gynecologist in hospital.
    Now it’s the wait for referal letter from my gp and then appoitment with hospital.

Fabienne

Jedt
    Keymaster

If you are worried at all call the hospital and ask them to put you on a cancellation list and you might get an earlier appt. We did this when my son was waiting for an op and we did get seen much quicker than the original appt we had been given.

best of luck, hope you get sorted soon.

Fabienne

I’m already 6 month overdue to change it, so yes, I don’t really want to wait too long as I don’t want another baby. So I’ll ask to be in that cancelation list or might go private if needed.

I did my time with sleepless nights and nappies.
    Keep hoping that I’m too old to get pg and that should be enough, but I know it can happen, so really need it done 6 months ago 😆 😆
    My friend who’s 1 year older just had a baby boy (wanted pg), so just under 40 is not too old for becoming pg.

Fabienne

Yvonne

Fabienne, have you got it taken out yet?

I was with my doctor to get it removed, have it in 2.5 years and do think its a factor in my weight, so decided to have it out. Doctor had a root around but cannot located the strings, and is now referring me to Dublin to have it taken out, most likely under anaesthetic..

munchin
    Participant

gosh Yvonne – hope you get sorted soon
    Friend of mine got the coil inserted late last yr – was problems and it appeared to have come out??? but anyway got it re-inserted and now is 5months pregnant on babsno3 – not sure if it was a issue with how it was inserted or what the story is but like anything i suppose you only hear the negative stories

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.