Colaiste na hInse

Home Forums Education Colaiste na hInse

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi

Does anyone have a child in this school? I have heard that there is a strong focus on Irish and if this is so I wonder how would a child who is weak in Irish be accommodated?

Thanks

Coriander

Jedt
    Keymaster

Hi Coriander,

Probably best to contact the school directly and ask about their irish policies. if there is a big emphasis maybe they run additional classes or lessons in it to help the kids?

You can rent irish books and CD’s for free from the local library and these are helpful for children who need a hand (or parents like me who need to get a grip on irish for their kids homework!)

Hth.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Sabbi,

Thanks for that. I have contacted the school. There may well be issues where instructions etc are given as gaeilge as we are finding he’s getting muddled with instructions in English as it is. He would have comprehension issues. I just wondered if anyone else was in a similar situation.

Regards

Corianer

sueb

Hi,
    My 14 year old daughter goes to Colaiste na hInse. She has been there from the first day. (We lived in uk til she was 7 so she was late learning any Irish but caught up very quickly.)
    She hasnt really noticed the Irish that much at Colaiste,they just use a little now & then but only the basic stuff. Its because they get extra funding if they introduce a bit more & are seen to be using it. So it wouldnt affect kids that are not great at Irish, so dont worry, no extra lessons will be needed, my daughter is in 3rd year now & doesnt like learning irish as one of her subjects anyway, just like me when I was at school 😆
    I also have a 6 year old & have sent her to an all Irish speaking school because I want her to be able to speak another language with ease. This is proving to be interesting as she is teaching me more than I ever learned whilst I was at school, I am so impressed with how they teach it 😮
    Colaiste na hInse is a great school as recommended by my daughter, she says she loves it because there is no pressure to look or be certain way, they are strict about makeup/hairstyles/uniform etc… Zero tolerance with bullying or fighting. They have so far had no incidences with drugs or alcohol, this might be because its a new school. They deal with issues straight away & she says the teachers are great 😀
    I was on the parents committee there for a while which is run very well, all parents are welcome.
    Parents who had decided to send their kids to other schools have since contacted Colaiste to try get in, to find there are no places left. Also the kids who didnt like it because of the ‘rules & strictness about behavior & dress code’ have left to go to other schools. The most important thing is my daughter feels safe & comes home happy from school 😀
    Hope this helps your decision
    Sue x

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Sueb,

Thank you so much for responding. I feel more reassured now. I have heard good things about the school and my only reservation was that he might be a bit lost with Irish.From what you say maybe that wouldn’t be so much the case after all.

Kind Regards

Coriander

carolyn

HI,

Is this school a mixed school?My son is in 4th class and I only put his name down for a secondary school in Drogheda and havent been told if he will get a place .I live in Drogheda.Does anyone know what secondary schools are around?

Thanks

kellie

hi yes colaiste is a mixed school and they dont take names till 6th class it is mainly a feeder school ie donacarney laytown and all the other schools in the area. the only other secondary for boys only is st marys ds in drogheda on the beamore rd there are more like st olivers comm college but is further away hope this helps

kellie

hi yes colaiste is a mixed school and they dont take names till 6th class it is mainly a feeder school ie donacarney laytown and all the other schools in the area. the only other secondary for boys only is st marys ds in drogheda on the beamore rd there are more like st olivers comm college but is further away hope this helps

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.